Spring has sprung , who's been flying?

Posted by Ben Kelly on 06/04/2016 21:43:07:

Hi Geoff,

I hope you don't mind but i decided to have a go at removing the wind turbine from your photo to give it, as you said, a more vintage look.

Not at all, Ben . I've removed unwanted items from photos of mine in the past. However I rather like that wind turbine. It doesn't intrude on our flying but gives an indication of both wind direction and strength. Our quad fpv fliers tell me its about 800 metres away.

Geoff

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Sunny today at Ashbourne but breezy and chilly.

Hadn't flown my Stearman for over a year but I've experimented with a gyro on the rudder to keep it straight on the take off run. The last time I flew it, it swung violently to the left and was impossible to hold. It had never been that bad before. As I was about to install the gyro I noticed the wheels were very worn and some years ago I remembered fitting new foam wheels to a Precedent Funfly which also made it squirm so badly on take off that even the best pilots couldn't control it. So, as well as installing the gyro I also changed the wheels.

It seemed to be fine on take off today but with such a strong breeze it was off in 3 or 4 metres anyway. It's a pussy to fly but the wind made landing a bit tricky and I aborted the first attempt but managed a greaser the second time. I decided to quit whilst ahead after the wind strengthened and became quite turbulent. Enough to blow over my Riot on landing and breaking the gears on the rudder servo and, later, to blow the model onto my transmitter and breaking the Perspex arm on the Frsky transmitter tray. I suppose you win some and lose others.

stearman 170416_3.jpg

Pleased to survive GreatPlanes Super Stearman with Mackay 30cc petrol engine/Hobby King electronic ignition and Krumscheid silencer (which seems quite acceptable in flight)

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 17/04/2016 21:59:53

Nipped up to Bosley Minn yesterday, breeze a little cool at first but when the sun came out later on it was really nice. Away from the slope the lift was good and smooth.

It was nice to have some friendly spectators with buzzards, ravens and kestrels as fellow flyers:

friendlyspectators.jpg

After the first few flights I had to warm up a bit and since the spectators could barely hold the camera, I had to do it myself:

coffeetime.jpg

Weapon of the day, Sailplanes International Secret Weapon:

sisw1.jpg

The last flight was in particularly good light and really enjoyable, the sun catching the models colours making it a joy to watch, oops fly. wink 2

Ian

Still windy, what's happening with the weather? Flew the Giles 202 all day....until on the last flight in U/C plate decided to unglue itself. It turns out there wasn't a lot of glue holding it on anyway, so it's done well to survive several years.

Why does stuff always go wrong on the last flight of the day??devil

Posted by cymaz on 24/04/2016 07:03:07:

Still windy, what's happening with the weather? Flew the Giles 202 all day....until on the last flight in U/C plate decided to unglue itself. It turns out there wasn't a lot of glue holding it on anyway, so it's done well to survive several years.

Why does stuff always go wrong on the last flight of the day??devil

Isn't that what makes it the last one devil

Perhaps we shouldn't complain about the weather too much. I watched the Liege-Bastogne-Liege bike race on Eurosport whilst building my Ballerina this afternoon. The riders had to contend with low temperatures (5 deg), rain, sleet, and snow that caused the route to be shortened by 5km to only 240km. All those who finished (or even turned out) deserved a medal.

My weekday flying was curtailed last Wednesday when the chairman's doberman tried to take a chunk out of my leg. Fortunately only minor punctures and a some bruising but it put me off flying for the day. Of course, it's never ever done anything like that beforesurprise but I pointed out he wouldn't be able to say that again. As I'm no dog lover I was doing my best to ignore it but perhaps it detected my dislike.

Geoff

Moving house is no big deal to many.

Joining a new club is just something else that people do.

In my case, both are something of a challenge, particularly when both occur together. Perhaps not as traumatic as taking exams, or as daunting as getting married, all come with a frisson of fear and trepidation in my case. Then put into perspective, nothing like the fear both my parents endured in WW2. In reality a self generated and inflicted set of feelings.

Even the journey to the field is akin to that first day at school feeling. Particularly as the roads and route are not known with certainty. My journey has gone from 2 to 10 miles each way, all are as expected along country lanes for a good part. The final trek up to the field is now along a 1/2 mile or so dirt track. As straight as an arrow, until a sharp left as you pass a small copse of trees, deposits you in a ca park.

At the far side stands a chalet, with veranda. A few yards further on are the executive urinals, with a discreet vanity screen.

The field itself is a complete contrast with my previous power club venue.The field stands on a slight yet very noticeable rise in the ground level. You can see clearly, with an uninterrupted view for at least 5 miles.

My first experience with the club members is a short induction course, as to where the flight lines and pit areas are arranged. Then there are the does and must not does. Some discussion on safety protocols and how they fit into how the club operates. An examination of the BMFA membership form, which due to the efficiency of the BMFA, is up to date with my new address. It is explained that a designated club member will stand with me for at least the first flight. observing and offering help full advice on the proceedings.

The model I have designated to fly is then subjected to a thorough examination, by a club official.

All the time my internal tension is rising. Then a short rain shower halts everything. When the cloud passes, I think. oh for a few tranquillisers.

My model is placed in a suitable position, I gun the throttle, the model swings to the right, taking me by surprise, it straightens up, then leaps into the air, a most inauspicious start. Now the model is climbing like a jet fighter on reheat, The climb is killed, then a large amount of down trim is feed in. I am asked to make a figure of 8. then a square left hand circuit, which is followed by a right hand circuit, which is entered somewhat clumsily. At this point, much to my surprise, my club spotter states his satisfaction with a basic level of safe flying. I declare a landing, land a little longer than i intended.

So starts life at a new club.

Perhaps flying at different sites has a lot to recommend it. This site certainly flies very differently at low level to my previous tree encompassed previous field. Where surprisingly, at ground level the air is perfectly laminar, relatively still, yet above the tree line, all hell breaks through. The other aspect that I did not initially comprehend, that all the trees and pylons provided peripheral reference points. Perched on a hill, with nothing about, you have to scan to establish references, as you go along. Again very different to my first club, which is a massive open field. Yet when flying a glider, electric powered or not, you are constantly making reference to the surroundings. you are always very aware of what the model is doing relative to its environment.

Wind died down this evening and managed to get a half hour flying/gliding done with the Thrush glider, lovely still air and sun lighting up the glider....cold out though! Just over half an hour out of a 1000mAh battery happy days.
Grand to get out, as had written off the week with high winds!

I have managed to get out twice this week, Wednesday and Saturday.

In both instances members must have been warned of my intentions, as I was Billy no mates. all but on both occasions,.

I have gained an extra task in moving, in providing some support to two of my grandchildrens maths understanding. So here I am standing in the field, looking at Blackpool tower on the horizon. I now live pretty much on the breach, about the same distance that the tower is from the sea. How far is it away i pondered. My sat nav, tells me that I have journeyed 10 miles to the site. I also know from Google earth that the angle is pretty much 45 degrees between the coast and my house. It struck me that Pythagoras would suggest that the Tower is something like 5-7 miles away. Who said that basic maths is useless.

Any way I had taken my Sagitta on Wednesday, as there was a little breeze blowing and I hoped that being on a hill with a gentlish slope that there might be some slope lift. I am also trying to observe all the field and club rules. Which mean that you stand on a concrete slab to fly, and do not go onto the field without notice, certainly not to take off. So I launch my model which goes up vertically, but going backwards slightly, risking crossing the flight line. It does not, but the non gliding observer mentions that the club prefers a gentle horizontal climb out. I found no slope lift, defiantly very little lift, if any. Now the awkward bit, the wind is 90 degrees to the landing strip and the flight line immediately adjacent to the landing strip. I made a cross wind approach, moved about 1/4 down the strip, then turned into wind and landed. Hopefully all fully compliant. As for my companion, turns out to be hot on the sticks, hesitation rolls, kinve edges, multiple bunts and so on.

Saturday, no on at all there. I immediately bury the nose of my canard into the ground on launch, stripping a aileron servo. I then flew my trainer, practised cross wind approaches and landings. All this nothing, is of putting, no tree line to use as the visual boundary for the cross wind leg. I found that am using a lot more of the sky, than I am comfortable with. All the physical and optical constraints are not present here, a different sort of discipline is required.

A walk around the field, reveals that the slope is not as long as i had hoped, and that a whole lot of general undulations and obstacles, prevent the formation of a nice wave.

An absolutely glorious day up on the south downs today. The wind was forecast as a S/E and looked to pick up strength as the day wore on so it was an early start to be ready for the 9 am curfew.

Happy to report that the wind didn't read the forecast and failed to show up so we filled our boots. lots of flights on the Pulse , the Saito 115 is just about run in on there now so that will be removed and another identical one fitted.

Then the Acro Wot got a turn and got a proper work out as we wowed some passing mountain bike riders, one of whom will be in the fold before to long I think.

Best fun was Tom's chuck glider, we had endless fun and he must have run a mile collecting it. Happy days its been too long.

twinch.jpg