Spring has sprung , who's been flying?

Had a good day in very mild weather with almost zero wind.

I flew my Pulse 60 and Denight special . The flexible extension for the Saito muffler came off "Again!" I'm going to have to engineer a solution for this.

Took a pupil up for 5 or 6 flights and he came on leaps & bounds culminating in his first landing, very rewarding. den1.jpgden2.jpgp1 (2).jpg

Edited By Justin K. on 12/03/2016 20:02:58

Advert

Oh lord what a day !

5/6 mph straight down the strip....even the gnats where out this evening ( insects not jets).

Flew the Rothmans Stampe alllllll day yay. Just broke a prop, that's all.

There were three crashes though, best leave that there.

Best, best, best day this year.

I was up the field for 4 hours this afternoon, still a bit chilly, hat and gloves required but a grwat afternoon. One plane I took up was my electrified Ripmax Rapier to blow off the winter cobwebs. It certainly got the juices flowing again, especially when the World unexpectedly jumped up at one point. 200 Watts per pound with 15,000 rpm quickly gets your eye hand coordination back in the groove.

dsc03449 %28custom%29.jpg

Had a day off work Friday, somanaged to get to the field yesterday and got 6 or 7 flights on the WOT4 to clear the cobwebs. Back again today for a couple of flights on the Wot 4 and a couple on my Greensleeve glider. Came home with a sunburnt face!

Cymaz, where do you fly? There was a Rothmans Stampe at our field today.

Posted by john stones 1 on 12/03/2016 21:47:21:

You've declared Spring's here have you, excellent job, all charged ready for tomorrow hot

John

Yes John and according to the Metoffice it's over a week late. It really was tshirt conditions at times here on the south coast yesterday with many members being caught unawares and arriving with to many layers on.

I hope today is as good for you as yesterday was here, I'm grounded today and will attempt to wear my 5 year old human dynamo out with some garden maintenance.

The forecast looks promising all week so hopefully it will allow the site's to dry out.

Yesterday PM in Somerset only needed light jacket , no wind. 12 hours later cold East wind , needed winter jacket again ! Had 3 flights and then watched our youngest member do his first take offs and landings with his Riot . Well done. Then watched a new Wots Wot Foam E do a maiden. Bit twitchy but OK and performed pretty much like it's single winged brother. Very nice ! Colin

A nice day yesterday. Out of habit I put my hat and gloves on, but took the gloves off before the first flight and they stayed off for the rest of the afternoon. The hat stayed on though!

Not sure about today, a bit of a stiff breeze blowing, and probably straight across the strip. That may put a lot of people off - we'll see!

Posted by John Privett on 13/03/2016 13:00:13:

Not sure about today, a bit of a stiff breeze blowing, and probably straight across the strip. That may put a lot of people off - we'll see!

Two attempts to go flying today! The first, I arrived just in time to see the "early shift" departing, beaten by low temperatures and a blustery cross-wind.

I returned later when another flyer texted me asking where everyone was. We had a couple of flights each and departed, also beaten by the low temperature and a biting NE wind. I'd made the mistake of leaving my gloves and hat in the car, lulled into a false sense of security after yesterday!

Lovely weather at our field yesterday, I had almost forgotten what the sun felt like! The very low winds made a nice change too. Unfortunately though our field was still waterlogged. We are on top of a hill but the ground stays so boggy it's amazing. It will be several weeks before it has dried out fully.

Got out to our patch for the first time since the end of October! Although I have got plenty of flying in at other sites. 4 of us managed to get a good morning in, although my choice of model was a bit light for the stiff breeze. Patch is slowly drying out, but car parking still not possible so about half a mile walk from the car to the patch, hence the light model. Enjoyable though none the less with 3 flights in and job in bag required!

Took SWMBO to hospital in Bath hospital first thing , then out with the Wots Wot ARTF , taking a local camera club expert who wanted to see me fly and try out his skills with his SLR. He was impressed with its agility and lack of noise ! Initially he couldn't keep up but with a bit of throttle management he started getting shots he wanted. The model was well illuminated by a lovely bit of Sun , but the NE wind was biting !Glad I had my scarf ! As usual , on my own ! Will post pics when I get some. Colin

Beautiful day in central France. Flew my ARTF Stick 1500 this morning. I bought it just before Christmas as a cheap hack; it only cost €112 delivered. It's alright but not as good as a WOT 4 ARTF.

The maiden flight was last week. I succeeded in wiping off the undercarriage by landing it on the rough grass alongside our tarmac runway. I had two flights but during the second one, one of the wheels fell off! I managed a reasonable landing on the tarmac only filing off the ends of the prop. The engine is an Irvine 46.

stick 2.jpg

stick 1.jpg