Spring has sprung , who's been flying?

Advert

Best day so far this year. Had the Red Eagle up for over an hour, met a few real flyers, pointing out the thermals, was unreal. Just about make out the glider top left and the 4 Buzzards thermalling on the right. Best flight so far.

Hopefully get to get some in-flight video of the buzzards some day!

gliderbuzzards.jpg

I have been convinced that spring is either upon us or soon will be.

I am down to two models now. S that is all I took to the field.

wp_20160320_11_22_58_pro.jpg

I continue to fly the PZ Albatross, week in, week out, must be one of my best investments. I will confess that I have learnt a lesson today. That is I really need to keep the power on even at touch down, even with full up, and then to slowly reduce the power, if I do not want it to go over on its nose, just as it stops. As they say you are never to old to learn, and I know about the age bit.

Again as is usual I flew my Delta, the best £5 spent on Depron, and probably £5 on glass cloth and water based varnish.

Both these models keep flying week in week out, often 3 outings in the week, which in summer has been about 4. I am being a little more cautious than in the past, as at present I have no way of undertaking any repairs.

wp_20160320_11_23_06_pro.jpg

There was quite a good turn out, the picture captures a few. Unfortunately the Vulcan did not fly today, as going out onto the strip, it caught the nose wheel in a horse hoof print, ripping it out. God dam the HORSES!

Perhaps a growing trend is farther and sons using stabilised model aircraft to learn on. One partnership is reversed with a 10 year old supporting his dad. God dam youth, why is it so easy for them.crying 2

As the time approaches that i will take my last flight with the club, i become increasingly aware of how i will miss them, from the grumpiest old codger (what, that is me, no never) to all those who went out of their way to help me, return to power flying from a strip. That includes the loan of a model, help in retrieving models from trees. God dam those trees! The instruction in the art of tree pruning (owe that is felling). The working parties removing vast quantities of Brambles, and other nasty scrub.

image.jpegI planned a visit to the field today in spite of a lousy weather forecast that predicted cloud cover and cold, like yesterday. What a pleasant surprise when the cloud cleared and a beautiful sunny day arrived. Today was a day for the faithful whizz-bang Edge 540 and the Seafang. I always assemble everything in the back garden before loading the car, to ensure that it's all there. Then off we go. Got to the field and set everything up. Edge first. Just as I was preparing to attach the plug connector, I heard a loud "pop"! Couldn't tell,where it came from, but when I connected the plug I'd got no current reading. Took the plug out and it was blown. Fitted a new plug, connected up and it blew immediately. It then became clear that something had blown in my flight panel and a full 12 V seemed to be going to the plug. Ah well, can't remember when I bought the panel, many years ago, better buy a new one. Over to the Seafang then. I decided, with a degree of trepidation, to try my tricycle launch dolly for the first time. I didn't want the complication of making it steerable and hoped that the tricycle layout would help it to stay straight enough. It worked, the plane has loads of power and it got off the deck very quickly. Had a great flight, this flies on rails and is very responsive and realistic in the air. I'm chuffed to bits with it. Flew it again, this time with an excellent hand launch from club-mate Tony and had another great flight with a smooth landing on the grass. So a day with a mix of frustration and satisfaction. Could have been a lot worse, although I had to get back early today because of other things to do. All in all, I'm happy and I'll replace the panel this week and get some new plugs!image.jpeg

Spring has arrived in Somerset !! By 10 o/c could have been in just shirtsleeves !! Flew my Mytho and Ballet in zero wind and full sun ! Lovely ! Chris maidened his first ever build , an Oodalally , which needed lotsa back trim.A bit of evaluation showed a need for a fraction of down thrust ,otherwise a very pleased chap and so he should be. Now it's downhill to Easter as far as the Met Office is concerned. Colin

Excellent weather on Sunday at Ashbourne - sun and fairly light winds. I flew my Tundra and Riot foamies and cursed that I'd neglected to take my Tiger Moth. I corrected that error today and though it was very overcast, very dim and cold (8 deg) the wind was light and I flew all I took - DB Tiger Moth (3 more flights), Riot and Tundra.

The Tiger Moth flies really well but I had to increase the aileron throws a bit because when I tried a roll it felt like it was never going to make it so I chickened out I need to start playing with props etc to get the best out of the battery (4S 4000 mAH). I'm using a 13x4 but I think a 12x6 may be better. It certainly leaps off the ground quite quickly and big loops are possible.

I was playing with lots of touch and goes with the Tundra on the grass patch. Unfortunately the undercarriage seemed to get tangled up with the wet grasscuttings and I lost a spring joining piece somewhere and stretched the spring. I also noticed one aileron is detached from the wing as the foam hinge has torn. Both easily fixed - a bike spoke will be used to manufacture a new link on the u/c and I'll hinge the ailerons (and possibly the rudder and elevator) with Blenderm.

Geoff

Had a bit of a ' Flying Wing ' day earlier this week.. Wings from front to back..... Great planes Mini Slinger ( much repaired and modified to take a brushless motor after wearing out the brushed one!).. Middle is... OinkerSplodge, an own design wing built from foamboard, and finally a TekSumo, which is a genuine hooligan machine! A great afternoon of fun flying on the cheap!! dsc_0059small.jpg

dsc_0061small.jpg

I did make it out yesterday to have a fly. Although I did have reservations, as it seems that Spring has Sprung, missed out Autumn and we are back into Winter here in the "Great Northern Powerhouse". The sky has assumed a metal grey hue. Not even a washed out pale sun, the clag being so thick. In the distance the smoke from the latest addition to the economic vibrancy, a paper mill, drift vertically upwards, almost to cloud base.

I stood on our field, a real picture of youth and chique, donning my arctic double layer (coat within a coat) jacket, a Waldorf Pepper faux leather and fur hat, topped off by my +10 years old Adidas trainers with the front of the soles flapping. Noting that there were about 4 others already there.

I immediately spotted a Fw 154 typhoon, a NA Bronco, then glancing further around i saw a Cutlass, just as good as when made, just shows the difference between a skilled modeller and flyer, the modeller was already flying an indoor model. Also on the flight line was a couple of the latest foam trainer types. Later a massive Spitfire arrived, complete with petrol engine. Whilst i watched, I was taken back to my youth, where many frustrating hours was spent flicking the propeller, the engine even defeated the electric starters. As with all things modeling, it will be beaten, yes the engine flickers. Finally what appeared to be a vintage glider appeared, complete with DF. This contrasted with the models used in the 70s, by todays all moulded glass, crow braked gliders, it was really a through back.

In between bouts of shivering, I managed to fly my Delta and PZ Albatross as these are the only models i have available.

At least I got out.

Hi ,

I went out to fly yesterday as the weather forecast is bad for the rest of the bank holiday and so i took my spitfire , sons trainer and my foam Sipa and a indoor flyer to see how it would cope outside .

Well the indoor model flew ok outside and i now know it will loop and roll as i did not want to try those stunts indoors.

As the wind had now picked up i then flew my Sipa which i hand launched from a standing position due to the wind , that flew great.

I then flew my son Trainer as i needed to get the engine sorted, i had reduced the prop from a 11x6 to a 10x6 engine now running fine . It took off with plenty of power but was pulling to the right and i had to hold almost all of my left aileron control just to keep it on track . I fought with it trying to alter the trims but in the end it crashed as the wind over powered what little control i had over it .sad

I then fired up the spitfire which i have not flown for some time due to it nosing over as the landing gear needed moving forward . which i have done , engine fired up ok and running ok , it took of ok with plenty of power but then the engine faltered i leveled off engine pickup up again then died as soon as i tried to nose up , so i made a hasty landing in the rough grass no damage other than one of the landing legs bent .

On further running of the engine nosing up caused the engine to lose power but cluck is clearly visible and free .

And so no further flying of that until i have stripped it down to find the cause .

And so i just flew my Sipa until i had used up all eight of my batteries smiley.

depsip3.jpg

planes.jpg

I guess i will have to build him another trainer now .

Steve