SlopeFest 2016

Any interest in a dedicated Slope Soaring Weekend to be held later this year?

Suggestions so far:

• Held End of September/October - suggest 1/2 October.- Outside holiday season
  • Peak District (Lots of slopes facing different directions) and actually fairly central and easy to get to
  • A Camping weekend - we will hire a camp site - needs to support Caravans as well as Tents and with Showers/Toilets
  • Local Pub - so we don't HAVE to cook and can get merry and blame the crashes on te hangover
  • Hopefully a local flat field we can use for aero-towing AS A FALLBACK if its calm.
  • Non Competitive - Fun Fly - but that may not stop a bit of Combat for those of a self destructive Nature
  • Maybe a Best Turned Out model etc. I'll seeif I can get some sponsors for a Raffle

Interested? Please try and be more than tentative. No point in booking a camp-site for 50 and everyone bottles out at the last minute. Non refundable deposits may be required

Please register here. Need enough names to make it worthwhile. I'll also canvas on Facebook and BARCS if the idea takes off. (pun intended)

Martyn

Advert

I would be interested but.as I have only been flying again for about 2 years and started slope soaring again last year and don't have my A cert, I was wondering what the minimum requirements would be to join in. My club mates are happy for me to fly solo and I feel confident to fly.

I'm into photography too and would like to make more photos of planes and 'flying things'. If I'm able to come would people mind me photographing the event? Some members at my club are superstitious and either won't let me or don't like me taking photos! I guess they believe that their planes will crash.

Cheers, Mike.

Regarding 'A' - that's a very good question. I don't have a Slope/Gliding 'A', only a FW. Need to take advice from the experts here. Comments please...

Regarding the photography, I cant see a problem with that providing you share the photos (here) and delete the ones of me crashing..

Martyn

I don't even have a FW A and wasn't aware there was a slope/gliding cert. Must read my hand book again!!

Sorry Martin but to have full integrity in reporting events I feel we must show the rough with the smooth! devil

I really wouldn't have thought it would matter on the A/B cert thing, as mentioned so few people have a slope certificate anyway. But could always be a good time to jump on an examiner to get them done?

I just noticed that October 1st & 2nd is the Ragley Hall festival of flight weekend surprise

Posted by Andy Meade on 05/05/2016 14:54:54:

I really wouldn't have thought it would matter on the A/B cert thing, as mentioned so few people have a slope certificate anyway. But could always be a good time to jump on an examiner to get them done?

I just noticed that October 1st & 2nd is the Ragley Hall festival of flight weekend surprise

Hi Andy

Is that a huge problem? We can always slip or pull forward slightly but there will always be a clash somewhere. I checked on BARCS calendar - there is no Slope Events planned for this weekend. What weekend would you suggest? I think if we are asking people to commit then we need to firm up a date ASAP. 

Perhaps 8/9 October may be better? 

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 05/05/2016 15:52:49

Thanks Martyn but don't change plans just for me, I can make one day, I have committed to taking the family to Ragley, now I know I didn't realise the date, and I doubt any one else will remember, but all the same, the young'ens were excited.

Lets see how it pans out.

Andy

Hi Andy

Not a problem at this stage. We just need to agree the date. The 8/9 October is clear on BARCS as well. I would rather get a day set that doesn't clash with anything if possible - especially big flying events.

Now I need to check Weston Park

Maryn

Hopefully this is more than tentative😯
Im deffo up for some gliding over a weekend but would bring my s/o and we dont camp. Happy to b+b if someone knows a place. May be on a holiday..... but no sweat if we dont arrive as it wont mess with your campsite booking.

I have lived and worked in the area for 26 years. I used to commute from Crewe to Sheffield.

My suggestion is that we camp in the Hope valley - there is one main camp site large enough to accommodate a large group:

Laneside

​However this camp site has a 10:30pm silence policy - but we can be noisy in a pub - there are lots locally. You also need to be aware that this is a very popular area for camping and we will need to get a booking/reservation in very quickly.

There are also lots of B&B in the area.. This link

The benefit of the Hope Valley is that it is very central to many of the main sites and there is a bus service into Sheffield for SWMBO's etc.

Finding a flat field for aerotowing may be a problem. Its nearly all National Trust and they are a bit restrictive on Noise. If we can find a field we may need a large electric tug..

My suggestion - any thoughts on this?

Martyn