Help with problem re newly purchased ESCs and motors

Hi,

I'm relatively new to electric flight but do have a general understanding, having had one or two electric planes.

I've hit a problem with some new motors and esc's from HK. I bought:

Motor A: turnigy 3536/5 1450kv (2-4s, max 45A)

Motor B: turnigy 2826/10 1400kv (2-3s max 21A)

Turnigy SBEC 60A esc

Turnigy 40A Plush esc

I connected motor A to 60A esc and connected these to Channel 3 on a new and fully tested and functioning Orange DSM2 Rx. When i powered the esc up (using a new and fully charged Zippy 2200 3s lipo) the motor bleeps 3 times and twitches. When I then turn tranny on nothing happens, no additional sounds and no throttle response. I exchanged the motor for motor B and exactly the same happened.

Thinking it was the esc I changed to the 40A Plush esc, still on motor B. When I powered up the esc with a 3s lipo again, the esc started continually beeping slowly. When I switched th tranny on it started beeping quickly and continually and there was still no throttle response. Confused I swapped motor B for motor A and exactly the same happened.

I do not understand esc's enough to know what might be going on here. Surely it can't be that both esc's or even both motors are faulty.

Can anyone please shed some light on the matter?

Advert

Switching the receiver on before the transmitter has probably sent the esc into safe mode.

Always switch on your transmitter before attaching the battery to the esc and make sure the throttle is set to the "off" position. if it is still the same, it could be your throttle needs reversing on the transmitter.

Have you calibrated the ESC's?

If not try that

Remove the prop

Switch on TX

Put throttle to Full

Power up the ESC - you should get three bleeps then close the throttle to minimum

Power off the ESC

count to three

Power up the ESC - you should get three bleeps and a "burble"

It should work......

I had loads of problems teaching the throttle settings on an Overlander XP2 Esc recently using DSM2. The time to establish a link was longer than the Esc was prepared to wait and it timed out.

This how I got around it. I put an extension lead between the throttle channel and the Esc with the positive pin removed. I powered the Rx from a separate battery and got the link established with the throttle set to high. I then powered the Esc and got the tones, then I selected throttle low and the Esc armed. Bit of a palaver but that was the only way I could get control established before the Esc timed out.

I needed the break in the lead to stop the Esc powering up from the Rx battery

Shaunie.

Edited because autocorrect did something stupid

Edited By Shaunie on 26/06/2016 23:07:08

WOW! Thanks guys, that was quick. It's been a good few years since I flew and have just returned to flying, more importantly to electric flying. I thought it was tranny last, but obviously not. I'll check that out to see if it sorts the problem. If the esc's have gone into safe mode do I have to do anything other than follow proper procedure to reset it?

Posted by oldgit on 27/06/2016 11:10:45:

my orange rx are channel 2 for esc (channel 1 is bind )

Sorry Oldgit, you're right, it's the second port, next to the bind port. And that's the one I was using. I haven't had time today to try all the suggestions put up on my thread but I will get round to it tomorrow. Afew very good suggestions indeed, thanks everyone. I'll let you know if it sorts my issues out.

Well, I've just got around to trying to get the esc's to work by switching the tranny on first. With one of the 60A esc's, the one I've been having trouble with, it did nothing. By that I mean no sounds, no throttle response. So, I decided to try to configure the esc as described by Dave H above. What happened was that after powering the esc up (with tranny on and throttle set to high) it didn't beep 3 times. It beeped and beeped many times and played differing tunes without stopping for breath. I decided to continue, so lowered the throttle and de-powered the esc. When I powered it back up it did nothing, no sounds or response again.

So, I thought I'd get the 2nd identical 60A esc I bought, fit the connectors and try to see if that works ok. I switched the tranny on first this time, with throttle in low position, and got 3 beeps, but no usual twitching of the motor. I tried the throttle and nothing happened, again. So, I'm thinking, it can't possibly be that both esc's have a problem, surely that would be too much of a coincidence. So I'm totally bemused and in need of advice again, please.

By the way, these are the esc's:

Edited By Mannyroad on 28/06/2016 23:00:12

Silly question, but have you tried it with all the servos connected ? If so do they all work ?

I was given a Multiplex Mentor to tidy up for use as a club electric trainer. the esc exhibits exactly the same characteristics as yours, but all the servos work perfectly and there is no range problem.

I have put the esc to one side and fitted another until I have time to dig deeper, but I think it is some sort of programming problem.

Have you access to another set of radio gear of a different make to yours ? Just in case there is a communication problem between your set up and the esc. One of our club members is constantly having problems when he switches between electric models with his system (his tranny is currently back at the importers , as is the club trainer tranny).

I fly my trainer on 35 MHz and have no problems at all as everyone else in our club is flying on 2.4 (well at least when their radio gear isn't away being checked for faults).

I suspect you've entered the programming mode on at least one of the ESCs so you'll really need to re-program it to be sure of the settings. Ideally, a programming card is used but it can be done on the Tx. Have you got the ESC manual? If not, you can download it from the 'Files' tab on the product page.

That prog card mentions a 60A UBEC ESC but as far as I can see, there's only the SBEC ESC listed, so it should work. The're well worth the investment as programming via the Tx can be a tad confusing.

First of all, reading the second ESCs' start up symptoms, try setting the throttle trim to its lowest - the 3 beeps should indicate that it's recognised the number of cells in the pack but the signal isn't low enough to allow it to arm itself.

I really don't think there's a fault with the ESCs - they are pretty reliable these days and two duff ones is most unlikely. It's going to be a setup issue.

We'll get there - it'll just need a bit of step-by-step, working methodically through it....thumbs up

Pete

The second one sounds like it needs to learn the TX movement

So that when you should power up TX push the throttle to high (if you have a kill switch make sure it off)

power up the ESC - you should get three bleeps then when thats stopped, reduce the throttle to zero

power off the ESC, then power it back up and it should work

If you are using Futaba you might needs to reverse the throttle on the tranny...

The first one sounds like its gone into programming mode

Ok, Pete & Dave, I think I'm starting to follow you both here.

When i powered up the second esc, being for the first time, the throttle stick was at its lowest and the trim setting was 0% (Hitec throttle trim goes from -25% to +25%). This is the normal trim setting for the tranny and only reduced should an i.c engine need it. Therefore I am presuming 0% should be fine (low enough) for the esc. Is this correct?

I'm guessing that because the first esc makes so many differing but continuous beeps/noises it is in programming mode. Is this a correct assumption? If so, I'll have to order a programming panel and unfortunately these are on Back Order. Typical. I've downloaded the manual for the HK esc's but the English isn't too good in places and therefore I'm not finding it easy to follow, especially the bit about all the different A, B, C, D & E tones. Confusing to say the least.

If it is already going straight to programming mode when I power up the esc, can anyone explain, simply, what I do with the tranny and when, to re-programme the esc, or do I need to wait till I get hold of the programming card? Ideally, is there a simply and quick way to get back to the factory settings?

Mannyroad, 3 beeps may be indicating that it's decided that you just connected a 3S LiPo.

If it were me, I wouldn't just assume that 0 trim was low enough throttle, I'd just lower the trim to see if that helped. Try that next.

(PS
I don't ever remember having an ESC that could be left in programming mode. I wouldn't think you have it stuck there. Pete's comment is correct, that you may have gone into programming mode and changed something. But I doubt that would be anything that would stop the ESC working. If it's doing all the different beeping, then you just powered it up with Tx set to high throttle).

Posted by Denis Watkins on 29/06/2016 09:02:23:

0% Manny, is not low enough, it does have to be minus. All the tunes are relevant. e.g, Low battery, Throttle high etc.

Wait for your card

Yep I have several ESCs that won't arm unless the the throttle throw is set to lowest point with minimum trim, i.e if your end point adjustments go to +/- 125% then you need to set the end point adjustment to +/- 125% and then have minimum trim.

From your latest description you say you powered up one esc at full throttle. Then shut the throttle but did not re open it. The other esc you powered on with a shut throttle. is that correct. Did you try power on a full throttle then shut and re open? This should set the throttle range. If it won't arm on shut throttle then as others have said the throttle is too high and need full down trim or re set end points.

The multitude of beeps when powered on a full throttle is telling you it won't arm as the throttle is open and that it is in programming mode. The 3 beeps at shut throttle are telling you it has detected 3 cells.

What radio gear are you using?

Instructions are here (the English is a bit special)

**LINK**

By the way the beeps are made by the esc vibrating the motor. Even if you can't see it twitch if there is a beep it must be vibrating.

Good luck and take the prop off while testing