Iceland 2 Muppets 1

It comes down to expectation, a great British Olimpic shooter, Malcolm Cooper, (aka, the Iceman), said, "if I'm nervous when I arrive, what do they feel like, I am here". The rower Sir Steve Redgrave made the obituary statement before a race, "let's crush some dreams". Sir Alex Furgusion had Furgitime at the end of time.

That is the mindset a leader imposes.

At the end of the day the average footballer, or rugby player for that matter, is not hired for his intellectual qualities. Leaders provide the belief and direction, and fear as necessary.

But it ain't easy to change a belief from fear of losing, to an absolute belief in yourself.

What do you feel like when you have bent a few models on the trot.

Advert

Dare I mention that I played football with RH during our school's sixth form games from 1963 to 1965. A really nice guy and excellent footballer. I was looking forward to him succeeding with the England team and feel very sad about the result the other night and that he will always be associated with the team's failure. It was Roy that told me I had been selected for the school's second team for a game against Southampton University. My football career only took me as far as Croydon M O's third team, unlike my twin brother who excelled at both soccer and rugby and was at one time a close friend of Roy's former colleague Bob Houghton.

He may be a nice guy but that doesn't make him management material. He had a disaster at the World Cup.

This time I kept an open mind because he had a good record going into the Euros. However, I had serious doubts when he was still changing the team just before the tournament, bringing in players that weren't fit, and players that had a good six months, all of a sudden were deemed England players.

Unfortunately, he was clearly clueless. Constantly changing the team and formation. Harry Kane taking corners and free kicks??? What was going on?

You cannot keep rotating strikers, they are confidence players and need regular games. In two games we had around 50 shots with 9 on target! Iceland got more on target than we did!

The England setup is wrong from the FA upwards. Other countries have been able to rebuild their teams, Italy, Germany, France, Spain, etc.. What are they doing that we are not? We have the talent.

Time for a manager that really wants the job, will not take any crap from the players and that will be respected by the players. Shearer apparently approached the FA for the job some time ago and was told he did not have the experience - his response was that he could not do any worse - fair point!

Shearer gets my vote. And he said he is prepared to work with Southgate.

English F.A haven't the courage to appoint the right man if he's a little controversial, they worry about image rather than performance. Venables was considered iffy but his team performed well, they ignored Harry Redknap when most within football said he was the best available,

Me I'd try for Jurgen Klinsman or Slaven Bilic, whoever it is, expectation should be to produce a team that plays football and can do it under pressure, winning something would be a bonus, i'll settle for getting some pride back.

Emulate Iceland would do for me, get the best out what you've got.

John

I think the problem with the English FA is that ...........( in best Nicholson 'accent'......).... Truth, you cant Handle the Truth'.....

So they'll end up appointing another 'yes man'. Possible that a man called Jeremy may become available very shortly.... smile p

Well even successful managers get sacked when their teams are not doing well, and new management blood seems to do the trick but not always. We do have some very good players in the England squad but they are very young and inexperienced at International football and not of the calibre of the 1966 team that included the likes of Jimmy Greaves,Bobby Charlton, Roger Hunt and Geof Hurst who would always score goals. As was evident the England team were able to keep possession of the ball far more than their opponents and much like Spain used to in the recent past.. However the stifling defensive tactics employed by the opposition in all except the Wales game seemed to screw the England team up and deny chances to the likes of Kane and Rooney. Roy H was criticised in the past for defensive play and I just hope similar defensive tactics are not used in next seasons premiership otherwise 'Match of the Day' will not be worth watching on TV.

Now I don't do football....so what do I know. Though every Englishman has an opinion about our national team.

Right, here goes. Where is the passion in our team. In my limited knowledge ,the best team of my era for passion was Bobby Robsons' squad in Italia 90. 

Get the current side to grow a pair, get out on the pitch and fight the fight. Play like your lives depend on it. Not wander around the pitch and jogging with thumbs in the air and a pained look on your face

Edited By cymaz on 29/06/2016 17:30:45

The Euros looked a lot more brutal than say the Premiership, lots of professional fouls and brutal tackles likely to cause serious injury and end careers. Now if I was a twinkle toed player being paid many £ thousands per week (note paid not earning) I don't think I'd risk getting injured and I'd blast a shot from a hopeless distance rather than seek a way through the defenders knowing somebody will hack me down and possibly end my career. Even Rooney looked to get rid of the ball as soon as he could rather than be challenged.

Hmm, I suspect most English fans don't buy into we have "great" players, they've enough sense to look for themselves rather than parrot the papers or t.v.

What they do expect, is they do their best, been shown they'll come home to a warm welcome when that happens, win or lose..Robson, Venables, Hoddle, none won a trophy all came home to a good reception.

John

Posted by Peter Christy on 30/06/2016 12:55:30:

Bobby Charlton was asked how he thought the England team of '66 would have fared against Iceland. " I think we'd have won 1-0 ", he replied.

"Only 1-0?", retorted the reporter.

"Yes," said Bobby. "Most of us are in our 70's now!"

--

Pete

Chuckle

Edited By john stones 1 on 30/06/2016 14:19:55

Posted by Flyer on 29/06/2016 15:56:22:

I think the problem with the English FA is that ...........( in best Nicholson 'accent'......).... Truth, you cant Handle the Truth'.....

So they'll end up appointing another 'yes man'. Possible that a man called Jeremy may become available very shortly.... smile p

Sadly spot on - the problem is very much with the FA.

I hear that Beckham is in the running, are they serious?????? And Hoddle????

Shearer gets my vote, he wants the job and doesn't mince his words.

When does a good manager become a bad one? When he becomes an England manager.

The reason why England are useless is simply down to the lack of talent and passion of the players.

Name me one English player who can trap a ball with his first touch.........NON

You watch foreign players and how they control the ball. The ball appears to be tied to their feet with a piece of string....Not so with our homegrown players.

Posted by Owdlad on 01/07/2016 10:14:29:

When does a good manager become a bad one? When he becomes an England manager.

The reason why England are useless is simply down to the lack of talent and passion of the players.

Name me one English player who can trap a ball with his first touch.........NON

You watch foreign players and how they control the ball. The ball appears to be tied to their feet with a piece of string....Not so with our homegrown players.

It is the lack of passion that disappoints the fans most. Most can except defeat to a better team if the team played to the best of their ability. Rep of Ireland. N Ireland and Wales have all gave their fans something to cheer about during the tournament the England team did not

.**LINK**

On the bright side The Tour de France starts tomorrow.

There'll be no screaming obsenities at the ref....no fiening injury or throwing themselves on the floor like a shot elephant. Or if they crash it's straight back on the saddle and patch me up on the go mentality

Just pure effort and passion.......Oh why can't football be the same

Posted by Owdlad on 01/07/2016 11:00:03:

On the bright side The Tour de France starts tomorrow.

There'll be no screaming obsenities at the ref....no fiening injury or throwing themselves on the floor like a shot elephant. Or if they crash it's straight back on the saddle and patch me up on the go mentality

Just pure effort and passion.......Oh why can't football be the same

They already have that; it's called Rugby! devil

Same old stuff coming out, there's talent in there needs a leader to bring it out, Cycling's a good example look at their medal tally, one or two English riders in there as well. You think Brailesford, Sutton and the rest never played a big part in that ?

Shearer, another well paid studio critic that's never had the guts to manage, was alleged to be NUFC's saviour ? failed miserably. Spent the whole year praising Harry Kane and others then slaughtered them on T.V as men/boys who don't care.

Hodgson went day tripping rather than go to Iceland game before we played them, sent the new upcoming star instead Gary Neville crook

Premiership English League's rubbish ? only works because of foreigners ? Welsh, Republic, Northern Irish, all took most of their players and staff from these leagues, many of them can't get in first team or Premiership ?

Pressure do's funny things, it was allowed to build all through the Euro's for English lads and they fell apart against Iceland, pretty similar to how our Rugby lads did... What changed that ????

What you do when you fail is back your lads ala Eddie Jones, finding another Eddie is task now.

And finally anyone who's ever done owt themselves, even something as simple as a BMFA test knows what pressure feels like.

Wales in qualifying group for World Cup next for us....C'mon the lads rose

John

When Alan Clark managed Barnsley he famously took all his players down the local coal mine and told them "this is what you'd be doing if you wasn't playing football" and reminded them how lucky they were..........

From the bottom of the league the team went on to win promotion from the 4th to 2nd division in no time at all.

It just shows you what a dose of reality can do.

Like so many British teams and sportsmen and women, the fear of failure is a far greater burden than the appetite for winning. It is subtle, but playing not to get beat is totally different to one of playing to win.

England were pedestrian, predictable

I remember a few years back a tennis player by the name of Novak, was number 3 or 4 in the world for ages...then it is as though someone tapped him on the shoulders and reminded him he was pretty good at it, and so he should go for the lines a bit more and attack........world number for last x years...

Posted by john stones 1 on 01/07/2016 12:19:47:

Same old stuff coming out, there's talent in there needs a leader to bring it out, Cycling's a good example look at their medal tally, one or two English riders in there as well. You think Brailesford, Sutton and the rest never played a big part in that ?

Shearer, another well paid studio critic that's never had the guts to manage, was alleged to be NUFC's saviour ? failed miserably. Spent the whole year praising Harry Kane and others then slaughtered them on T.V as men/boys who don't care.

Hodgson went day tripping rather than go to Iceland game before we played them, sent the new upcoming star instead Gary Neville crook

Premiership English League's rubbish ? only works because of foreigners ? Welsh, Republic, Northern Irish, all took most of their players and staff from these leagues, many of them can't get in first team or Premiership ?

Pressure do's funny things, it was allowed to build all through the Euro's for English lads and they fell apart against Iceland, pretty similar to how our Rugby lads did... What changed that ????

What you do when you fail is back your lads ala Eddie Jones, finding another Eddie is task now.

And finally anyone who's ever done owt themselves, even something as simple as a BMFA test knows what pressure feels like.

Wales in qualifying group for World Cup next for us....C'mon the lads rose

John

I agree John. You can't tell me we haven't a bit of talent since 1966!!

It is totally down to the manager (and the FA).

The reason I said Shearer is because he actually wants the job, and spoke a lot of sense about the failings over this tournament.

Harry Rednapp perhaps yes

Fear of failure what a load of bunkum! They are doing something they love instead of having to work long hours for a pittance. What these cloistered overated over paid superstars require is some good old fashioned dose of reality.

Now in the real world; the fear of having your employment terminated and lack of money is the driving force behind most of us.