BREXIT

John Helling

No. I think internationally agreed standards are usually a good thing

Yes (Which people? Democracy isn't supposed to mean dictatorship by the majority or you might find a lot of minority interests suffer eg a referendum would likely mean so-called 'drones' were banned)

Probably

Moreover, expect imports to get more expensive (£ at a 30 year low) ... and that means most of what we buy for the hobby.

Geoff

Hi Geoff Sleath

I don't understand your statement that democracy is not a dictatorship by the majority; That sounds like sour grapes to me.

Everyone has to accept the majority vote or we have Anarchy, I did not vote for the Conservstives but I accept the majority decision and am very happy that they decided to give us (the people) a referendum, whether I agree with the decision or not is of no consequence, the majority voted OUT and we should all accept that with good grace.

Cameron showed his true colours when he through his toys out of his pram.

Yawnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!

Guys, this is a model aeroplane forum - we talk about model aeroplanes, RC equipment, flying techniques, aerodynamics, tools, workshop techniques,....etc etc. If you want to talk about politics why not go to a political forum - they'll welcome you there.

In the meantime - as Pete says - if we must endure yet another pointless rehearsal of this topic any veture into politics and its closure time! Given the nature of the OP I don't think that gives very much room personally!

BEB

Politics & Religion should be bared from this forum....

...it causes the blood pressure to rise and creates too much I'll feeling towards each other.

Excellent weather forcast for today..... can't wait to go flying this morning....

..then settle in front of the TV this aft for the TdF......then a 10 mile TT this evening 

I've a feeling today's going to be gone in a blink of an eye 

Owdlad

Edited By Owdlad on 13/07/2016 04:55:41

I've no interest in joining the discussion but in defence of the OP this is supposed to be a chit chat forum, where anything goes?

It is normal on any forum (I frequent motorcycle forums and football forums) to chew the fat over every day issues.

If you can't accept that someone has a different opinion to you, then you have a problem.

I think it is more down to the fact that politics isn't really a part of what we do here and folk have heard enough of it elsewhere.

Of the three points the first one is just a myth and is someone's unfounded fear that folk in the EU have a secret mandate to "mess with model flyers"!

The second does not even make sense - we have voted to leave the EU. We will leave the EU. You might as well fear, and post online about it, that Christmas might not come.

The third point would be seen as quite inflammatory to some folk.

Having a viewpoint is fine and does fit into chit chat, but there has to be limits when it comes to politics - the fears, nonsensicle rumours and unfounded claims that arise are both quick to arrive and quite disruptive to a conversation.

Edited By John F on 13/07/2016 08:16:58

Flying model aircraft, like an interest in full size aviation, seems to cross all strata of society, be it creed, colour or age. I do have to say however, that it does seem to be a predominantly male pastime on the whole. Although it is always interesting to hear other peoples point of view, politics is often divisive, creating conflict and in some cases even war. For me, this absorbing hobby is an escape from the more mundane things in everyday life, including politics. The hobby is both relaxing, sometimes challenging but always rewarding for all those who love to fly, be it models or full size for that matter. So I will leave it to others to speculate and debate current affairs, as I have a wing to build and a glider to fly; if the weather Gods are willing!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/07/2016 08:53:58

Posted by Rich2 on 13/07/2016 07:18:57:

I've no interest in joining the discussion but in defence of the OP this is supposed to be a chit chat forum, where anything goes?

It is normal on any forum (I frequent motorcycle forums and football forums) to chew the fat over every day issues.

If you can't accept that someone has a different opinion to you, then you have a problem.

1. Sorry, no. There is no part of this forum in which "anything goes".

2. This is not "any forum" - this is Modelflying. And we have plenty of evidence - some expressed here more experesed privately to mods - that political discussion is not welcome.

3. Agreed. I favour electric power, you prefer IC - we can agree to differ and perhaps even see the merits in each others case. That's what "disagee" means on a model aeroplane forum wink 2

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/07/2016 09:47:35

The only way Brexit has affected my modelling is that it is bringing on my decision to buy a new 2.4 transmitter and change over from 35meg, as it will probably be more expensive next year as the exchange rate is affecting the cost of imports. Other than that, I welcome my time in the 'man cave' away from the telly and it's cr*p offerings.

cheeky

Posted by Owdlad on 13/07/2016 04:47:39:

Politics & Religion should be bared from this forum....

...it causes the blood pressure to rise and creates too much I'll feeling towards each other.

Excellent weather forcast for today..... can't wait to go flying this morning....

..then settle in front of the TV this aft for the TdF......then a 10 mile TT this evening

I've a feeling today's going to be gone in a blink of an eye

Owdlad

Edited By Owdlad on 13/07/2016 04:55:41

+1

Hope the conditions are floaty for your ride

BEB, to quote you "But the basic idea is just the same - talk about anything you like - there is no "topic" as such - just go with the flow. Music wise - nothing's changed, we have kept the old juke box, we know it has all your favourite music on it!"

If I don't like a topic I ignore it and read something else.wink

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/07/2016 09:47:07:
Posted by Rich2 on 13/07/2016 07:18:57:

2. This is not "any forum" - this is Modelflying. And we have plenty of evidence - some expressed here more experesed privately to mods - that political discussion is not welcome.

That's sad, and the last thing i'll say on the subject.

Agreed!

Whilst I feel the OP was intended to be contentious, particularly on point 3, I don't believe political debate should be frowned upon by the forum or the moderators.

Why not ban posts on rugby (widely posted on last year during the RWC) or the TdF, another popular post with some? Now I enjoy both of these subjects but appreciate that many may not but I don't feel a need to ban them from forums.

Like many, I am a member of numerous forums and all of them, without exception, allow active debate on a diverse range of subjects and not just the topic of the forum. I would hate to see the thought police take over on this one.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/07/2016 09:47:07:

Absolutely. This is the only forum I read and the only one I post on. Have a look at other forums, even other forums on model aeroplanes, and look at how unreadable the threads are, with hundreds of pages of drivel, and argument, and bitter squabbles. I've even given up with Facebook at the moment, because all it has become is a maelstrom of Brexit posts in the the misguided assumption that I am interested in reading sarcastic posts pretending to inform me.

Brexit has been so divisive that even lifelong friends have fallen out permanently over it. Let's stick to arguing over aeroplanes!!!

Posted by Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 13/07/2016 10:24:10:I would hate to see the thought police take over on this one.

Rather a over-dramatic statement I'd say!

1. No one here is attempting to control your thoughts! Why would we want to?

2. No one here is attempting to control what you believe. Again, why would we wish to to?

3. No one here is being partisan - we discourage political debate on here regardless of what perspective you take.

You want to know why we discourage it? Simple: firstly, it always leads to a row, secondly, the mods have better things to do than police ridiculous squabbles over matters none of the participants have the slightest influence or power over, and thirdly a significant number of members don't want the atmosphere poisoned with this stuff.

I think that is a good enough set of reasons.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/07/2016 14:39:47

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/07/2016 13:31:51:
Posted by Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 13/07/2016 10:24:10:I would hate to see the thought police take over on this one.

Rather a over-dramatic statement I'd say!

1. No one here is attempting to control your thoughts! Why would we want to?

2. No one here is attempting to control what you believe. Again, why would we wish to to?

Nor did I suggest anyone was, BEB.

I was only expressing a concern that certain subjects could become taboo. After all, why bother with a chit chat section if it's not open for any subject you'd be likely to discuss in the pub?

I fully understand that political debate is exceptionally polarising and that sometimes things become heated but that, surely, is the nature of debate.

I note that the previous two posts to my last one share my view so obviously there is another side to the coin and others are no doubt happy to engage in a little bit of political banter without the need to descend into a slanging match.

But Michael, the previous two posts to your last one are both from the same person! There are many more than that who do not want this debate on here. Anyway - TBH its not really about how many do and how many don't, this forum doesn't do politics or religion and that's the end of it. As I say there are many political and social comment forums where you can engage is that debate - and that's fine - but not here.

This matter, and hence this thread is closed now. I suggest we return to discussing what we are here for - model aeroplanes.

BEB