Essential RC's videos

Steve Holland flies his exceptional scratch built scale replica of the DH.88 Comet G-ACSS 'Grosvenor House' that won the famous 1934 England-Australia MacRobertson Air Race from the United Kingdom to Australia. This model is powered by 2 Zenoah 74s. and in total it cost Steve £5000 in materials to build it.

• Wingspan: 22 ft
  • Length: 14 ft 6in
  • Height: 5 ft
  • Engines: two Zenoah Z74 twins with trumpets. Each has a 1 1/2 litre tank.
  • Props: Menz 26×8 turning at 6300rpm
  • Weight: 150 lb

More information here:

https://www.largemodelassociation.com/featured/steve-hollands-comet/

The de Havilland DH.88 Comet is a British two-seat, twin-engined aircraft built by the de Havilland Aircraft Company. It was developed specifically to participate in the 1934 England-Australia MacRobertson Air Race from the United Kingdom to Australia. Development of the DH.88 Comet was initiated at the behest of British aviation pioneer Geoffrey de Havilland, along with the support of de Havilland's board, being keen to garner prestige from producing the victorious aircraft as well as to gain from the research involved in producing it. The Comet was designed by A. E. Hagg around the specific requirements of the race; Hagg produced an innovative design in the form of a stressed-skin cantilever monoplane, complete with an enclosed cockpit, retractable undercarriage, landing flaps, and variable-pitch propellers.

Three Comets were produced for the race, all for private owners at the discounted price of £5,000 per aircraft. The aircraft underwent a rapid development cycle, performing its maiden flight only six weeks prior to the race. Comet G-ACSS Grosvenor House emerged as the winner. Two further examples were later built. The Comet went on to establish a multitude of aviation records, both during the race and in its aftermath, as well as participating in further races. Several examples were bought and evaluated by national governments, typically as mail planes. Two Comets, G-ACSS and G-ACSP, survived into preservation, while a number of full-scale replicas have also been constructed.

Edited By Dom (Essential RC) on 25/08/2019 17:20:54

First EDF jet? New H-King FlyCat sport jet

Maiden flight video. It flew well but think the fan could do with a little balancing. Scoots along nicely nonetheless. Great little jet for a first timer to EDF who doesn't want the cost or complexity of retracts and flaps. Decals are pre-applied as well and from experience that can often take as much time as assembling the model.

I'll echo Jo's comment Dom. Thanks for making and putting up all these high quality vids. I don't spend a lot of time on the flightline at shows (I treat them more as shopping expeditions), so it's nice to know that when I get home, there's going to be film of anything I've missed, shot far better than I could manage!

Re the Comet, I was surprised to see it reappear. I assumed Steve had retired it...

Edited By Mike T on 01/09/2019 13:08:16

The Pilatus PC-21 is a turboprop-powered advanced trainer with a stepped tandem cockpit. The full size aircraft is manufactured by Pilatus Aircraft of Switzerland. This model kit is manufactured by Tomahawk Design in Germany. In the air it looks and sounds no different to the full size aircraft. It is powered by a JetCat turbo-prop engine.

• 1 month later...

Jürgen Schönle, a member of the DMFV Indoor Team performing at the Leipzig Modell-Hobby-Spiel Trade Fair, amazes the crowd at Modell-Hobby-Speil Trade Fair with an indoor flight of his 1:4 scale F4U Corsair. This model is built from extremely light depron foam and is powered by a motor with a gearbox which powers a balsa prop. The battery powering the model is a 3S2200 pack ! Wingspan of this model is 3.1 metres and total weight is 4KG. Jurgen is not only a master builder but an ace pilot and it was a pleasure to film this magnificent model in action.

Contrary to wide belief these models are not filled with helium. They are built with extremely light materials so the result is a model aircraft that has a very light wing loading that enables them to fly in tight spaces such as the exhibition hall at this event.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously 'hovering' at low altitude is not about scale flying Richard. It's a demonstration of skill in a high risk situation. It's a small but entertaining but of a whole aerobatic flight. All of the Pitts flight looked very scale to me. The high alpha pass was a very small part of it and that is scale. There are several full size pilots that do it. There was no 'hovering' in that flight.

Edited By Dom (Essential RC) on 01/11/2019 10:24:58

• 2 weeks later...

Another creation from depron wizard Jürgen Schönle. This Douglas DC-3 Dakota features retracts and navigation lights. These micro RC aircraft take significant effort to build. Jurgen told me that some of the individual parts can take 10 attempts to create because the 0.2mm depron material used is so fragile. For that reason it is not possible to mass produce these RC aircraft or supply kits. Just enjoy this DC-3 fly in the hands of its ingenious designer and builder.

Details from Jürgen. The motors are from E-flite UMX B-17, 8 channel Deltang receiver, retracts self made, elevator linear servo 1.5g from Spektrum and 1.7g servo for aileron. Llght system is self made

• 1 month later...

The location for the Freewing AL37 review looks like Wisley Airfield, Ockham. In the past I have cycled across there a few times when going to the North Downs (Surrey Hills) or picking up the River Wey and navigations towpath. I didn't spot it in the video but near the disused runway is a radio navigation beacon used by airliners inbound to Heathrow. As I recall the 'armco' barrier was put across the runway to stop pilots of light aircraft 'visiting'.

If the land owner has given permission to fly RC on the Ockham site it would be useful to know?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jon Porter, Director of Microaces, gave me an introduction to his range of unique depron foam sheet constructed micro radio controlled historic model aircraft with the Bristol F.2b. These kits are as Jon describes a cross between a folded card model and an Airfix kit. It takes minimal skills to build one of these model aircraft if you follow the comprehensive instructions and guidance.

Microaces design and manufacture innovative model replica kits of historic aircraft that are of display quality BUT make exceptional flyers with the aid of micro radio control equipment. Each kit closely resembles a specific aircraft that has earned its place in the Aviation Hall of Fame. Whether because of the daring pilot that flew it or because of its own reputation for magnificence.

Designed and manufactured in the UK, Microaces kits use modern materials, an advanced printing system and accurate laser cutting to make the components for each kit. This all combines to create a very lightweight, yet beautifully detailed scale aircraft that can be flown indoors and out.

• 2 weeks later...

A rubber band free flight De Havilland Tiger Moth kit converted to radio controlled electric power...and it flew so well. This 18 inch / 460mm wingspan kit is available from Vintage Model Company (https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/tiger-moth.html) and takes very little time to build apparently. With modern micro servos, small brushless electric speed controllers and motors the conversion isn't too challenging either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...