Essential RC's videos

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

Blimey, that model..... let's be kind and say it's an "acquired taste"! ?

We have a few F3A pilots in our club and none of the models are what I would call attractive - certainly impressive but attractive?  Certainly not to me ?  But they're all excellent and disciplined flyers and like all branches of any sport or hobby it's what ever suits you.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff S said:

We have a few F3A pilots in our club and none of the models are what I would call attractive - certainly impressive but attractive?  Certainly not to me ?  But they're all excellent and disciplined flyers and like all branches of any sport or hobby it's what ever suits you.  

I get that form is following function here, but if models now need to look like that to be competitive in F3A then the rule makers really need to have a rethink. Kits that look like that and cost £2800 before the gear is installed are hardly likely to encourage newcomers to participate...

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Do people really need to spend top money to be ultra competitive?

Can someone with all the skills and a low cost model beat someone with all the money and less skill?

Is this not the same for almost sports, money buys you someway, but skill gets you all the way to the top ?

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder 

• 2 weeks later...

Not very often we see a scale jet built from a plan so always a joy to film such a model when I do get a chance. This Sea Vixen was built by Dave Batchelor from a Kerry Sterner design. Built over 2 years and flown expertly here by Dave Wilshere of Motors & Rotors.

Edited by Dom (Essential RC)
  • Like 1

20 years of aero-modelling so had a tidy up of several boxes of 'junk' and found a ChangeSun 12 blade 90mm EDF fan with a HET 1400KV motor and 120A OPTO ESC. Needed to put it in something and I liked the look of the FlexJet Pro. Turned out it was a very high quality kit with excellent assembly instructions. First flight on 8S4000 was good although one mains door hinge did get pulled out and landing on the slightly bumpy grass. Easy to repair with some epoxy. Looking forward to more flights in warmer weather.

• 3 weeks later...

They don't come any bigger than this. An awesome display of this monster sized ARF by Steve Carr at the Popham Model Show. Wingspan: 180 in (4.58M) Wing Area: 6290 sq in (40580sq cm) Fuselage length: 161 in(4.1M), empty weight with hardware 65.9 lbs (29.9kg) Engine: 400cc min (Self designed/built 550cc engine used by Steve Carr)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wilco Wingco said:

Did I see that right?. The flyer actually moved so he would be in the line of fire if the prop broke as he revved the engine up to full throttle?. A sure fail on an A cert test???.?

Looked to me like he was beside it but mostly behind. He wasn't taking his A test otherwise I guess he would have made very clear he was following BMFA handbook guidance to the letter. 

Edited by Dom (Essential RC)