Pins and things

Getting back into 'traditional' building after an enforced break, I'm seeking the following:

From memory, an American product that consists of a 'soft elastic type plastic' sprue retaining tiny little black circles. These circular pieces are removed from the sprue. They feature a tiny hole in them such that when a thin model pin is inserted, this can be pushed to any depth released and it stays in place. It very effectively 'clamps' balsa strip/ribs etc in place while the glue sets.

I vaguely recall one of our leading free-flight suppliers i.e. SAMS, Flitehook etc. having them but can find no trace on their sites and now years later, I'm not sure what they are actually called to get some more!

Thanks for any help.

Advert

Hi Cap,

They're called pin clamps. I bought mine from Volare Products and I've heard that Indoor Model Supplies has them, but I couldn't find them on their websites. It might be worthwhile contacting them. I think Peck Polymers used to sell them. They have a wooden version here, but I couldn't see the original plastic ones.

There are several sites that describe how to make your own including this one. Might be worthwhile looking at RC Groups as well.

• 3 years later...

I use these excellent modelling pins for my builds

pins.jpg

But the problem I've found with them is that they rust, I suppose because I'm using them mainly when I've got damp balsa being bent to a curve or I'm using Alphatic glue. Because of the rust, when I next go to use them I have to be careful as the rust will form a large hole in the balsa and in some cases can lead to the balsa getting split.

Ideally I would like stainless steel versions of these so my questions are, does anyone know if such an item exists and secondly do you have the same problem and if so how do you get round it? I'm sanding them clean but with over 100 to do it's a ball ache!

Edited By Ron Gray on 20/04/2020 09:04:43

Got fed up of waiting for my T pins from China so has anybody found a source of what Ron Gray shows in his picture here in the UK? Unable to see any similar products of f#bay but it may be that I am search for the wrong name as the US call them Grip Pins.

Those large plastic head pins look to be generic, Balsa Cabin also stock them. I have a tobacco tin full of Slec T head pins, glass head pins, steel dressmakers pins, map pins and the ones Ron shows. Those plastic head ones are the only pins showing rust, as Ron said it seems to be allied to using white glues. Even rusty they are still the ones I go for first.

I've never seen those pin clamps before, worth bearing in mind if we ever get to browse any traders stalls this year.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 20/04/2020 13:02:46

@BrokenProp - I don't actually need any as I have 3 boxes but if I did I would probably go to Balsa Cabin as they seem to be the best price for them. However, my question was if anyone knew of stainless steel versions of these as mine have to be cleaned up with some wet n dry due to rust / tarnishing. Yes I could buy some more and throw mine away but that seems to be such a waste! I'm not sure if my method of storage contributes to the problem, I have a scrap balsa block that I pin them into rather than putting them back into their plastic box (got fed up with stabbing myself when I went to get another one!)

To illustrate my original first post, here are the plastic (polypropylene?) pin clamps. The little black plastic discs slide onto most size of pin and due the nature of the plastic, they clamp in the position you set them.

The Peck wooden ones, I'd be cautious they didn't stick to the balsa if any stray glue came into contact with them. (Glue does not stick to the plastic one at all!).

Also attached, a selection of pins I've accumulated down the years. The 'Aeronaut' ones are currently available.

pin clamp (1).jpg

pin selection.jpg

If you store pins in wood like balsa the moisture in the wood makes the pins rust, when dismantling a old model i have noted servos screws being rusty just where they have been in the wood. I would use a good old fashioned pin cushion you will get less/no rusty pins and you could make one in a plane shape or even better someone you don't likesurprisedevilangel

Edited By flight1 on 20/04/2020 13:44:38

@Flight - you could have a point (no pun intended) there, i assumed that as it was an old bit of balsa that wouldn't be a problem. I'll get the wife to make me a pin cushion to see it that helps. Now if she could just make me one that cleans and sharpens them at the same time............

Posted by Ron Gray on 20/04/2020 14:55:36:

@Flight - you could have a point (no pun intended) there, i assumed that as it was an old bit of balsa that wouldn't be a problem. I'll get the wife to make me a pin cushion to see it that helps. Now if she could just make me one that cleans and sharpens them at the same time............

Well you haven't herd of the tomato pin cusion then? what the usefull part about it is that it comes with a strawberry that is filled with emery sand powder ( same that's on emery cloth) this cleans and sharpens your needles when inserted

or you could make your own, just need some fine emery sand powder just pass the pin through and then store in cushon

Edited By flight1 on 20/04/2020 16:21:54