Flair products

Bees, re: Balsa USA kits for electric conversion. I built their 80in Eindecker last winter for electric operation. I had wanted a Flair Hannibal but, like you, found that Flair weren't producing anything and failed to find a kit on a shelf anywhere. I did several mods to make the Eindecker more like the Hannibal and built it as a non-scale glider tug, subsequently christened the Neindecker. More details here if it helps.

As for the quality, the strip wood was straight and warp-free. However a lot of the wood was very hard and heavy and the grades of supposedly matching parts (e.g. wing spars) were inconsistent, with weight variations of over 2:1. The die cutting was clean though, so everything fitted pretty well. It's my sole experience with Balsa USA kits and I have read glowing and critical reports of their quality elsewhere so all I can advise is try to inspect the wood in the kit before you buy if at all possible.

Advert

There are various ways to provide a hatch to take the Lipo in an electric conversion of an existing design, one of the less obvious ones is that used by Chris Foss to electrify a Wot 4.

Basically the Lipo is secured to a ply plate which is then inserted through a fairly small hatch and the ply plate has a tongue at one end and a bolt at the other. So the plate with Lipo is secured at the inaccessible end by the tongue sliding into a 'mortice' while the accesible end is secured by a bolt into a captive nut. Easier to refer to Mr Foss's excellent diagram than understand my writing! This method could be adapted to many other planes. The only thing I don't like is that putting the hatch underneath means inverting the model when inserting & connecting the Lipo.

Trevor, Was ready to purchase the Balsa usa sopwith Pup but found a old build blog and was not impressed with the quality of the parts regarding wing ribs not fitting, one wing on plan smaller then the other and so on. Will take a second look at steve Web models and see if it is still available. Glen

Well that puts the cat amongst the pigeons. Looks like Steve webb still has the SE5A in stock but sent them a email to make sure. Pegasus models has a slightly larger sopwith Pup from Busa in stock has well. Must admit i do like the pup and i did remember reading another blog that the BUSA Pup did fly well. Decisions,decisions.

Edited By bees on 22/08/2016 21:03:23

Edited By bees on 22/08/2016 21:04:16

Thanks Trevor, Steve webb got back to me to comfirm that they have the Flair SE5A in stock. Although i like the Sopwith Pup It looks like there is a struggle to get lipos in due to the short nose so iam leaning towards the SE5A at the moment.

At last i have made my mind up and gone for the Cirrus Moth. I ordered this morning so looking forward to starting on this build so most likely be asking a lot more questions regarding the build. Just got to finish off my Elan glider first. Thank for all your help regarding this matter. Glen

Posted by bees on 30/08/2016 20:12:16:

At last i have made my mind up and gone for the Cirrus Moth. I ordered this morning so looking forward to starting on this build so most likely be asking a lot more questions regarding the build. Just got to finish off my Elan glider first. Thank for all your help regarding this matter. Glen

I'll be watching with interest because I also bought a Cirrus Moth kit a couple of weeks ago. I intend to build my Skyway Models Percival Mew Gull first but (hopefully!) that shouldn't be a very long job as it has foam wings. It will be electric.

From my experience with my DB Tiger Moth and my recent Ballerina build, you need to get the battery as far forward as possible. For that reason, my Cirrus will be the a Moth Major version which has Tiger Moth like cowl which should give me space under the motor.

Geoff

Almost did but put temptation to one side and ended up just with the instructions to read. I think this will be a challenge this coming winter as i have not built from a kit for a while and certainly not a bipe, most have been ARTF models. I have being flying electric for a few years now but after watching a few videos on you tube iam tempted to stick a 4/stroke in sounds nice.

Kevin 216, sorry I haven't answered your question on my SE5, haven't looked at this thread for a while. I'll check the exact details in the shed later, but from memory it's a Hobbyking 900kV motor with a 50A esc driving an 11x7 prop. Batteries are 3s, I can fit 3000s or 4000s, and I think power is about 400W. Performance is certainly adequate with this setup. As I say, I will provide more detail.

Bees, keep us posted on the Moth build. I'll be interested in battery access, sometimes tricky with biplanes.

OK, I've looked at my electrified Flair SE5A and the electric bits are as follows:

Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive D3542/6 1000kV driving an unbranded 12x6E prop.

ESC: Turnigy AE45A

I had been flying it on Turnigy 40-50C 3000 3s packs, which gave adequate performance. However, I recently bought a model from a clubmate and he included some unused Turnigy Nanotech 3s 40-80C 4000 packs, so the last outing used one of those. It seemed a fair bit sprightlier, so I've just measured the power:

Turnigy 40-50C 3000 3s - 38A giving 400W

Turnigy Nanotech 40-80C 4000 3s - 43A giving 510W

As I had to add weight to the nose, I would recommend using 4000 packs. Duration should be a good 10-12 minutes, unless flown inappropriately!

Hope this helps anyone thinking about fitting electrics to this model. The layout of the nose makes the task very simple.

Just about finished my Elan glider and with nothing to do decided to start my Moth. First impressions regarding the kit is that it is nicely packed and the laser cutting is also very good and the parts just needed a sharp knife to remove them from the sheet which i think is okay because i once had a kit where the laser cutting was too good meaning that once you handled the sheeting the lot fell out. Anyway i have completed the rudder and almost finished the tailplane,elev and then probably start on the wings next. best regards Glen

• 2 months later...
Posted by bees on 23/08/2016 20:55:19:

Thanks Trevor, Steve webb got back to me to comfirm that they have the Flair SE5A in stock. Although i like the Sopwith Pup It looks like there is a struggle to get lipos in due to the short nose so iam leaning towards the SE5A at the moment.

No problem getting lipos in mine!

puppeteer 3.jpg