Fishtailing Delta

ron evans

Hi all.

Flying my floormate delta on the weekend it was quite windy and gusty and it was noticed that in a fast pass the model had a shimmy in the yaw. This was more evident flying crosswind. The model can be slowed, nose high with no yaw/roll wobble I've had with other deltas.

The coffin inspired fuz has little side area, with nothing much in front of the wing so my first thoughts are that I've made the fin/rudder too big.

Any input would be appreciated.

Ron

Advert

Try false cockpit shaped curves about the fuselage to break down the "flow frequency" passing about the model, full size use "fences" and "teeth", attached along areas of smooth airflow. Missiles were the same, oscillating at certain speeds, various appendages dampened these down.

I myself calmed a delta by applying "reflex"

This is achieved by setting the both elevators/ ailerons /elevons 1- 2mm above centre, up

Ron

If it really doesn't do it in calm conditions one has to start thinking about its reserve of stability.

I have one plane in particular than flies nice and smooth in still air but is a bit of 'pig' in any turbulence requiring continual correction even to keep straight and level.

In a delta a large part of its natural stability comes from its airflow vortex conditions. It could be that turbulence is causing these to alter and thus have a greater effect that the same turbulence would have on a normal wing.

Denis, the elevons are set about 2mm up for s&l flight. Did the dive test, moving the c/g aft and trimming until I was comfortable with the amount of pitch stability. Are you suggesting a cockpit would damp the yaw oscillation, that might be easy to try.

Simon, thankfully even in windy conditions the model handles well and doesn't need any more correction than when flying in calm conditions. It just does it with a yaw shimmy.

An interesting point about its airflow vortex. it's got me wondering if the KF wing sect might be part of the problem.frown

Reading through everything Ron, you do have the mentioned thin vertical stabiliser. Try temporary thickening to the surface.

I believe addition of a false cockpit must have screened or softened the vertical stabiliser oscillation, but thickening the surface does sound easier.

I have used the old style helicopter heading hold gyro on the rudder control of a 7lb, 56 inch wing Raptor, that smoothed out a high speed tail waggle, and these can be switched on/off via Aux 1 on your Tx

Edited By Denis Watkins on 13/09/2016 18:01:45

BEB, had a look on your link, but couldn't find the fix from Brian Cooper.Did it involve thickening the TE of the fin/rudder..

Dennis, thickening of the fin seems to have worked for some people so I'll probably try for a low tech fix. A gyro on the tail would cost twice as much as the airframe..........ok, so I'm tightwink

Thanks Percy, extra fin area is on my list of fixes, but I'm going to try thickening the TE first.

I'm not familiar with the Challenger, was that one of Stan Yeos flying wings.

Reading the old posts, it seems quite a few models and full size have this problem. I find the whole thing fascinating.

Ron

OK, what do I know, nothing, but I have designed and built a fair number of successful very fast model deltas, more than 50 over the years. Inc Slope deltas I currently have over 20 active.

How effective is your rudder? It has little to push against. with no canopy plate. This also affects fin stability.

You appear to have used KF section, stepped top? (picture unclear) I have used both top and bottom KF step and both at once. I have found bottom to be superior, but YMMV. I suspect that what the top step is doing is making the fin less efficient, and its already minimal.

Quick test, tape on wing end fences, shaped like the fin. They will be easily removed and add side area behind CG and make the wing more efficient..

'Fraid I haven't read all the links so forgive me if this has already been suggested but the fishtailing could be caused by rudder flutter........ I once had the pleasure of flying a very large (1/3 scale) Mustang and to cut a long story short, that initially suffered from very bad fishtailing at speed which was cured by thickening the rudder to about 3/4" at the trailing edge. Before replacing the rudder with a thicker one, you could check to see if this is your problem by simply sticking some thin strips either side of the trailing edge of your rudder and/or by sticking a small weight on it which would change it's frequency of oscillation....... Good luck!

Paul

Dave, I thought I was a delta fan.surpriseThe wing has a top step KF section, and rudder response is good, the model stall turns easily, although it looks a bit odd, and will happily fly around on R/E. A bit of a challenge for me, I'm on mode 1.laughFitting a canopy, more fin area, and now wing tip fences are all on my fix list, but first I've fitted some 6mm tube over the rudder T/E, I'll try it out Sunday.

Paul, the linkage to the rudder is short and straight, although there is some slop in the cheap metal servo. If flutter is part of the problem my first fix should help.