First It Was Drones-- Now It's More Hot Air.........

Former Member

Advert

We had a similar experience. We get quite a few balloons as we're often downwind of the launch site but this is the biggest and certainly the closest. I was able to chat to the passengers.

ladybird balloon 1.jpg

On approach over the houses across the road.

ladybird balloon 2.jpg

Almost over our house. I took the picture as insurance if they hit the roof and I needed to claim!

ladybird balloon 3.jpg

On its way down the lane and towards the A38 and some high voltage overhead transmission lines, which, fortunately they missed. This was a few years ago and the HV lines have now been put underground. I'm not sure why because, though we like the fields and footpaths round our village it's not exactly tourist beautiful.

Geoff

We get balloons flying over quite often in these parts - there's a balloon rides operation based at a pub only a few miles away

We've had a couple land close by over the years. One in a field at the top of the road, and another on the moor down at the bottom end, but the majority just sail overhead. Very picturesque, especially when you get three or four together

Posted by Percy Verance on 13/11/2016 17:21:49:

You have the same problem then Geoff. Looks like they're getting closer to your house than they are to mine though.

It can't be more than 40 to 50 foot off that chimney? surprise

That was 4 or 5 years ago and it's never happened since though I think that big balloon is still operational. There were several balloons up that day and none of them were anything like that low. We were sitting in the conservatory at the back of the house when I heard the burner and went out to look.

It was very low, but our cottage is very low, too. The beams downstairs are only 2" above my head and I have to duck to get through the doors Actually I quite like seeing the balloons fly overhead, just not quite as low as that. I was more concerned for their safety because the power lines were only about 400 metres down wind.

Geoff

Huh, just wait 'till the end of next month!
The fat, white bearded, geezer dressed in a red coat will be barging into chimneys all over the place. There'll be reindeers poo messing the roof tiles as usual - he never thinks about cleaning up after them - too busy scoffing the mincemeat pies & sherry.

humbug.jpg

Bah humbug !!!!!!!!

Posted by Chris Walby on 13/11/2016 19:14:36:

How about this! Landing/crashing in the middle of Stevenage town centre, next to the East Coast main line and a dual carriage way...just down from the police station.

Clear and blatant disregard of the ANO?

Was that the flight that temporarily close Luton's airspace a few weeks back? I watched the balloon passing by our offices very low and thought at the time that Luton won't be happy about it!

Martin - Only date I have is 18June2016, not sure if that's correct though.

My point is that if you landed your plane in the middle of a town it would be massive negative press and everyone on your back, but if its a Balloon with a load of LPG cylinders attached to the basket with fee paying passengers, you get the police & fire fighters to help pack it up and its a minor press article!

Do they make RC Balloons?

Cooo ! R/C hot air balloons. I can just see it now. Lots of small radio controlled bonfires floating across the sky at dawn and dusk. Fitted with multiple FPV cameras so several people can see the views in different directions at the same time of sheep and cattle running off in all directions.

Posted by Percy Verance on 13/11/2016 20:48:36:

I think there was an r/c balloon back in the 70's Chris. I think it was by a German maker.....

Or was it a parachutist? I can't remember.

There was one more recently (10/12 years ago?). I think it was intended as a commercial venture. I was i/c the evening indoor RC flight line in the hangar at the Nats for a couple of years and someone wanted to fly one. We wouldn't allow it as IIRC he was using a gas flame to heat the air like the big ones. I think we'd have lost the use of Barkston rather sooner had we burnt down the hangar

Geoff

Posted by Chris Walby on 13/11/2016 19:14:36:

How about this! Landing/crashing in the middle of Stevenage town centre, next to the East Coast main line and a dual carriage way...just down from the police station.

Clear and blatant disregard of the ANO?

balloon1.jpg

Like the one in the OP they're obviously the pilots' first flights in command - that's why they have "Virgin" written on them. teeth 2

Edited By PatMc on 13/11/2016 22:04:05

That appears to be the one that landed in our club field late one evening a few years ago, Chris. The one member who was still there came into the Red Lion (pub at the end of our access lane - very friendly/convenient!) with photos on his phone and clutching a £20 note which they had insisted on giving the club as a landing fee (absolutely no damage caused).

I have done several balloon flights. I was told that (subject to basic safety) they can choose to "land" the basket anywhere but unless an emergency have to gain landowners permission to drop the envelope and recover. Experienced this twice (Permission gained both times, certainly NO attempt made to do a runner)

Ended up in a field of Llama once (near Winchester!). Also one hour plus long flight in Kent, before take off the pilot said to his support crew where he would land. He landed a couple of hundred metres from that place. Subject to conditions, balloons can be steered.

Surely an R/C hot air balloon would fall outside EASA regulations as when it is flying it would be less than 250gm, no matter what its size. It is, after all, a 'lighter than air' flying machine!cheeky Something for the legal eagles leaches to argue over for years.