Keil Kraft Factory Tour

I can't lay claim to finding this video, it was mentioned in this months RCMW. Shot in the 1960's, not much sign of H&E in the wood machining shop, but very interesting I thought for some of us who cut our aero modelling teeth on Keil Kraft kits 

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 21/11/2016 17:06:50

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 21/11/2016 17:07:54

Advert

Hi 'Batman', Fascinating stuff, thanks for posing that. Just how cool would it be to turn up at the flying field in one of those red and yellow Keil Kraft vans!

In a similar vein, a bit of Keil family history:

**LINK**

Keil Kraft designer Ernie Webster and factory stills:

**LINK**

Keilkraft handbooks over the years:

**LINK**

My apologies if these have been posted before.

Robin

• 2 months later...

I found this video on You Tube the other week. It was really fascinating to see. Living and working in the area and also having been an avid Keil Kraft fan since my childhood in the 70's. How different factory life was in the 60's to today.

Somehow the models seem to have withstood the test of time. My own teenage son has now happily joined the ranks of aeromodelling through.. building a Cub glider, Spitfire rubber powered model, and Phantom c/l models. I tried talking him into building a Junior 60, but he likes the Black Magic more.

It would be nice to see Keil Kraft range of models and accessories (and some of the other old names) in active production again.

Posted by Nightflyer 2013 on 16/02/2017 13:05:15:

It would be nice to see Keil Kraft range of models and accessories (and some of the other old names) in active production again.

It would be even nicer if they were made using suitable weight wood in parts that fitted without needing to be fettled. wink 2

Posted by Andy Butler on 16/02/2017 13:34:00:

Keil Kraft kits are still being manufactured here.

Crikey, £69.95 for a KK Chief ~ I paid £3.50 for my kit from the LMS. Mind you that was back in 1974/5 and it took me months to save my pocket money for itsmileywink...

Edited By Stumps on 16/02/2017 14:33:53

Posted by Stumps on 16/02/2017 14:33:22:
Posted by Andy Butler on 16/02/2017 13:34:00:

Keil Kraft kits are still being manufactured here.

Crikey, £69.95 for a KK Chief ~ I paid £3.50 for my kit from the LMS. Mind you that was back in 1974/5 and it took me months to save my pocket money for itsmileywink...

Edited By Stumps on 16/02/2017 14:33:53

You could always get a set of laser cut wing & tailplane ribs from iGull for £14, download the plan off Outerzone, spend a few quid on the remaining necessary wood plus odds & ends - probably have enough change from £25 to buy a pint & bag of crisps.

The white & orange tissue covered Chief in the ad is mine, made from an original kit circa 1970ish. It first flew on single channel but later converted for 2 function propo gear. Despite what's said in the blurb I used the original wing fixing method with no problems. Model's still flyable but I intend to refurb & add a much lighter electric power set up than in the red and white one that's also in the ad.