Back to RC Aircraft after 20yrs.

Tom Ryall

Hello all. Considering getting back in to RC aircraft after a 20 year break. With a young son growing up fast he could be the excuse I need to start getting a few things!

Was thinking of going down the Acro Wot route but have been amazed at the advances in electric so now considering an electric version or even just a Foam E to get back in to it, along with something like a Spektrum DX6. Ebay is now being scanned regularly, but if there is anyone in Dorset who wants to make some space after Christmas and has some of the above stuff taking up space please shout!

I will no doubt be picking brains on here when I can.

Thanks,

T.

Thanks Percy - unfortunately the one I was after was sold by the bloke while we were mid conversation. There a few Wot4 Foam Es out there but I think I'd prefer an Acro Wot.

The Tx market has certainly expanded! Equally going electric = chargers and seems to be an interesting subject! Time to learn!

Thanks for your comments. The guy who sold the Acrowot also has a DX6 available which we were discussing. He wants £160 for that and a used Foam E Wot 4 with a battery. How does that sit? All I'd need is a Batt charger and I've been researching those on EBay.....

First, I would say avoid buying secondhand radio gear especially as new is so much cheaper now than 20 years ago. You never know what has happened to secondhand radios - crashed, left in the damp or just the odd rogue set. Unless you know the seller and seen what happens to his radio gear it is not really safe to buy for aircraft use ( any 2.4 ghz could could have been used in boats )

Second there are DX6 and DX6 - the number has been used on several diffferent models incuding the latest black one with 250 memories and wireless buddy system. But there is an older DX6 and a DX6i, some are only DSM2 and some DSMX so make sure what is being offered.

Wot4 seems a better plane to restart flying.

Posted by kc on 04/01/2017 12:20:36:

First, I would say avoid buying secondhand radio gear especially as new is so much cheaper now than 20 years ago. You never know what has happened to secondhand radios - crashed, left in the damp or just the odd rogue set. Unless you know the seller and seen what happens to his radio gear it is not really safe to buy for aircraft use ( any 2.4 ghz could could have been used in boats )

Second there are DX6 and DX6 - the number has been used on several diffferent models incuding the latest black one with 250 memories and wireless buddy system. But there is an older DX6 and a DX6i, some are only DSM2 and some DSMX so make sure what is being offered.

Thanks - I'm on a pretty tight budget so an all in package for £160 appeals but I recognise the point. I'm naturally a cynic but the bloke seems genuine....even if he did sell the Acro Wot I wanted!

What level were you at before you stopped the first time around? I'm sure it'll come back quite quickly after the first 3 or 4 flights! t's amazing what the brain retains.

I wouldn't pretend to be an expert but those years ago I'd happily throw my Wot4 around for few hours ata at time seeing what it could do. I'm not that phased (may be a mistake) by getting a Foam E and giving it a go. An open area where I can get it up and then spend the remainder of the battery (c.6-8mins?) getting a feel for it a height before bringing it down slowly and going around until attempting to meet the ground gently!

That said both funds and time are tight with a young family and work and so I can't commit too much of either. She'll see straight through it when I say it's for the boy!

Posted by kc on 04/01/2017 12:20:36:

This is now my main concern. The radio appears to be a later DX6 and according to the vendor has never had any issues unbinding which I think can be an issue having spoken to a few people at a local club on Saturday.

Tom, in fairness to any radio binding issues, I believe that should be completed at home in quieter climates. When I have witnessed "issues", it is rebinding at the field, with another half dozen chaps switched on tuning and some flying. I know 2.4gig should surmount this problem, but try binding at an indoor even with 12 guys in the air, and you will soon need to move some distance away. I am not convinced that some sets have " binding issues" , I believe it is just operator issues. Do not be put off Any manufacturer.

Posted by john stones 1 on 04/01/2017 16:19:34:

Looks to be around 1/2 price ish for the gear, which is pretty much the norm ? no guarantees but you know the ropes and how to give it a thorough check over...life's to short to think everyone's out to stitch you up wink

John

My kit was a lot simpler 20 years ago. I may just give it a bash and then worry about explaining it to the family.....

Current model DX6 is black and has 250 model memories ( compared to 10 memories on old silver/grey models) they sell new for about 165 pounds

and for that they come with genuine Spektrum DSMX Rx. but no servos.

I suppose the Wot4 if it comes with motor, servos and radio etc makes it seem worth the price, but only if the radio is in first class working order. Also check it has a Rx that is DSMX compatible. .( DSM2 only types of Rx won't bind with latest Tx sold now)

So the question I would ask is is why is the man selling his DX6 if it's all good equip? There may be a good reason.