The new Spektrum DX6E tranny

Robert Putley 1

Advert

Thanks for that Old git. Was aware, thanks again.

I was concerned that their was not a second coaxial ariel inside the tranny, having had problems with the an early DX6 with the single ariel. However, I notice that the ariel can be swung up and down, hopefully this eliminating the problem of having the ariel pointing directly at the model

• 1 month later...

If I may please put the case for the defence...

Spektrum are a global player and the DX6e is available in DSMX and DSM2 modulation so, technically, my Datafile table is correct. My understanding is the DSMX only label applies to European sets only, DSM2 is still available elsewhere in the world. In hindsight, I can see a reference to this in my review would have been helpful so my apologies for that,

During my research I came across the document at the bottom of this post which states that DSMX and DSM2 Tx's and Rx's are both ways compatible (I have enlarged the relevant part just in case the text pixalates too much). From the posts above this appears to be not the case and I know that David has spoken to Spektrum about this and they have confirmed this document is wrong. I imagine David will be clarifying this point in the next issue of RCM&E.

With regards to Maurice's comment on the statement in Model World, I don't read this magazine myself but, looking at the Traplet website, I see they ran a review of the DX6e in their Feb issue. It could be their reviewer made the same assumptions as me and listed the modulation as DSMX/DSM2 and their comments in the March issue are a similar correction.

Modulation aside the OP asked if anyone had any experience of the DX6e. Well, I think it is a very capable set with lots of features for a reasonable price! More detail can be found in my review in the March issue of RCM&E.

Thanks, Mike

spektrum_ faqs.jpgdsmx-dsm2 compatabiliy.jpg

The DX6e transmitter has a single diversity antenna - there is no antenna in the handle. The single vertical antenna is adjustable so it can be set to an angle to suit how the Tx is held. I think the diagram Denis is referring to is on page 45 of the English portion of the DX6e's manual which looks to be a generic clause on safe distances from the aerials for all Spektrum Txs. Denis is correct, the DX6 has dual diversity but the 6e is definitely single.

For what it's worth the single diversity antenna on the DX6e has never caused me any concerns. The antenna fades count I see on the telemetry are always within the normal range of 50-100 per flight.

Posted by Mike Freeman on 27/02/2017 14:23:15:

The DX6e transmitter has a single diversity antenna

For what it's worth the single diversity antenna on the DX6e has never caused me any concerns.

'single diversity' is a contradiction in terms smiley
Its either a single antenna (which it isnt if its a G3 EU model, is it a G2?) 
or two diverse antennas (which it is if its a G3 EU model)  

Edited By Phil Green on 27/02/2017 16:19:10

As DSM2 Tx can no longer be imported into the EU but are available in the rest of the world presumably this could be changed when we leave the EU.

So the question is - is it to our advantage as aeromodellers to not have imports of DSM2 Tx or should we be asking the BMFA to lobby the government to allow DSM2 to be imported again in due course after Brexit? Or should we lobby to keep restrictions on importing DSM2 even when we leave EU? Is this one of the useful bits of EU legislation!

Actually the DSM2 protocol is not illegal under the new ETSI regs, however it
is not permitted at the full 20dBm that DSMX and other fully compliant protocols
generally employ.

It would be perfectly ok for Spektrum to import sets to the EU with both DSM2 and
DSMX protocol selections in the menus as long as DSM2 was limited to 10dBm
which would be perfectly usable for indoor or small park models.
DSMX of course can be the full 20dBm as its fully compliant.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 27/02/2017 19:29:46

Posted by kc on 27/02/2017 17:49:53:

As DSM2 Tx can no longer be imported into the EU but are available in the rest
of the world presumably this could be changed when we leave the EU.

Edit: ignore this, I read kc out of context, sorry
Highly unlikely. It is far more probable we would remain a 'Member State' of EASA,
as are other 'Geographically-European but non-EU' countries like Norway and Switzerland.

Edited By Phil Green on 01/03/2017 09:24:36

Posted by Mike Freeman on 27/02/2017 17:21:21:

Point taken Phil, thanks. However, the DX6e is neither G2 or G3. It is a first generation tranny which only has a single (but adjustable) antenna.

Is the review of an obsolete model then Mike? That seems strange. So yours wont do 11ms DSMX?

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

No, the DX6e isn't obsolete. It is a brand new Tx which came out at the end of last year. It is available in DSMX only in Europe and DSMX/DSM2 elsewhere in the world, as discussed above.

It is an entry level Tx which, some say, will replace the DX6i but I think it is so close in spec to the DX6 that a lot of newcomers will hop straight onto a DX8 when they get bitten by the bug, potentially making the DX6 obsolete!disgust

Mike

Edited By Mike Freeman on 01/03/2017 07:42:14