The new Spektrum DX6E tranny

Robert Putley 1

Posted by Phil Green on 28/02/2017 20:09:15:
Posted by kc on 27/02/2017 17:49:53:

As DSM2 Tx can no longer be imported into the EU but are available in the rest
of the world presumably this could be changed when we leave the EU.

Highly unlikely. It is far more probable we would remain a 'Member State' of EASA,
as are other 'Geographically-European but non-EU' countries like Norway and Switzerland.

EASA is to do with aviation safety and nothing to do with 2.4 GHz protocols, our transmitters are governed by the same rules as wifi routers and other 2.4 devices. Also it has been noted in other places that the US will also move over to LBT in due course making DSM2 redundant over their. Spektrum don't sell any DSM2 Rxs anywhere in the world, but their DSMx receivers will work with an older DSM2 transmitter.

But after Brexit we could go our own way on specs for 2.4, which could permit DSM2 or further restrict 2.4 for radio control, or we could just decide to follow EU specs, 

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 01/03/2017 08:13:31

Absolutely right Frank sorry I misread kc's question, I'd been catching up on EASA stuff and read it out of context, my mistake. However I think its a similar situation in that post-Brexit, I dont know but I expect Offcom will still tend towards EU standard band plans rather than creating a UK-only market.
Cheers
Phil

Posted by Phil Green on 01/03/2017 09:22:16:

Absolutely right Frank sorry I misread kc's question, I'd been catching up on EASA stuff and read it out of context, my mistake. However I think its a similar situation in that post-Brexit, I dont know but I expect Offcom will still tend towards EU standard band plans rather than creating a UK-only market.
Cheers
Phil

Possibly, but if we don't get a trade deal with the EU and get one with the US then we'll maybe harmonise with US standards rather than the EU.

Posted by Mike Freeman on 01/03/2017 07:39:34:

Hi Phil,

No, the DX6e isn't obsolete. It is a brand new Tx which came out at the end of last year.

What I'm suggesting is that the G3's two diverse antennas necessitated by Spekky's upgrade to the 9's RF board, which enabled 11ms DSMX is a major improvement that will seriously improve link integrity Mike. Marketing aside, purely from a tech POV, the single antenna version is surely obsolete!

Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil,

But the DX6e is a brand new launch, G1 if you like and it only comes with a single antenna. AFAIK the G3 label only applies to the DX6 which does have the two. I agree, from a technical point of view, that two antenna are better than one but from a practical point of view I have not had a problem with a single antenna, either with the DX6e or my other gear, all of which have single antenna.

What I was asking was is it to aeromodellers advantage to have no more DSM2 type Tx imported ( and no doubt eventually the existing ones fall into disuse ) or does it restrict us in future? I assumed by stopping DSM2 imports it stops similar systems for other uses too ( Wifi etc ) therefore clears the airwaves a bit for us in our crowded island.. Is that the right interpretation?

Posted by kc on 01/03/2017 13:41:01:

What I was asking was is it to aeromodellers advantage to have no more DSM2 type Tx imported ( and no doubt eventually the existing ones fall into disuse ) or does it restrict us in future? I assumed by stopping DSM2 imports it stops similar systems for other uses too ( Wifi etc ) therefore clears the airwaves a bit for us in our crowded island.. Is that the right interpretation?

Yes you could argue that the regs forced Spektrum to go to DSMx which is a hopping system and less likely to suffer from interference (not that I've ever had any issues with DSM2). It's not so much clearing the airwaves but making better use of what we have.

Posted by Geoff Jackson on 07/01/2017 10:02:52:

Just bought one for playing with a mini multi rotor on DSMX. So far im impressed with its easy use. Ordered a lipo for it but being told March before in stock! Before anyone shouts the drone is for indoors with the grandkids! Im a fixed wing oily hand man rest of the time.

been looking for a radio for a while, ran out of model memory on my hitec set up, Now that ive just built a multi rotor have started looking again. Does this tx / rx support ppm.

Posted by iqon on 03/03/2017 09:25:11:
Posted by Geoff Jackson on 07/01/2017 10:02:52:

Just bought one for playing with a mini multi rotor on DSMX. So far im impressed with its easy use. Ordered a lipo for it but being told March before in stock! Before anyone shouts the drone is for indoors with the grandkids! Im a fixed wing oily hand man rest of the time.

been looking for a radio for a while, ran out of model memory on my hitec set up, Now that ive just built a multi rotor have started looking again. Does this tx / rx support ppm.

If you mean that you just want a single wire connection between the Rx and flight controller then all Transmitters support this. The compatiblity between the Rx and FC would depend on the FC and firmware it's running, some FCs will take Spektum satellites direct others the Spektrum single wire protocol SRXL or PPM like this one. But it doesn't look like the AR610 it's bundled with offers PPM or SRXL

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 03/03/2017 09:44:56

There are aftermarket Hitec compatible RXs that do PPM out...

In some ways I agree though that a new TX from a different manufacturer may be the way to go - Hitec seem to be very slow to develop new products and are rapidly being left behind in terms of their TXs. A new set from Spektrum or FrSky would give you more new features (especially in terms of telemetry) for less (much less if you are talking FrSky).

The new FrSky X7 is designed for multirotor piltos and is very affordable, plus the telemetry sensors are very cheap. A DX6 or DX6e would be fine too though if you don't mind the higher cost.

Edited By MattyB on 03/03/2017 17:08:14

Sprung  battery contacts are a personal thing, some trust them some dont.
I'm not mad keen either but I think if they're tight and kept clean they're ok.
I give mine a very occasional wipe with electrolube.
"Battery box needs changing to accept a welded pack" sounds a bit definitive, its one opinion.

I've mentioned this before, a typical RC system relies on dozens of sprung contacts:

Six per servo (pos, neg & pwm plug contacts. Feedback pot wiper, motor brushes)
Four in the stick units (two pot wipers each)
Eight trim push switches
Two in the rx slide switch, two in the tx slide switch
Two on the tx aerial, one per rx aerial
Two in the tx battery connector, four in the rx battery connectors
Five if its a module radio...
Six per servo extension lead...

These are all sprung contacts and I count at least 55 in a 4-servo model & tx.

So you do trust sprung contacts after all !

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 04/03/2017 09:49:04

I am also adverse to the use of spring contacts for Transmitter batteries. Where possible I fit soldered NiHm cells. On occasions where space is at a premium, I use AAA cells.

One only has to think of the frequency that you have to give the TV remote a sharp knock for the batteries to re make contact to be put off this method.