Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?

David Davis

If you have the OS 81 available then use it. you wont have to move the tank so that stops the servos being moved forward, but it will probably be a safer bet than the 70 in terms of performance as the OS 80 and ours perform more or less identically. (A friend had one doing 9000rpm on 10% nitro and i expect the same from 5% when using the same prop). The exhaust will poke out but that is not the end of the world.

Or i could sell you a nice new 80

Advert

Decisions decisions! If I can get a reasonable price on eBay for my Laser 70 then I would probably replace it with the Laser 80 as I really don't fancy the idea of the OS exhaust sticking out the cowl. On the other hand I already have the OS, don't have to do any mods and may be able to get away with the exhaust thing (thanks Donald).

Laser is of course the preferred option - I guess I have a month or two to think about it!

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 30/01/2017 14:51:34:

The TT91 will power it fine and need fewer mods but it wont be as tidy in the cowling. If you have an 80 i would use it

I don't mind fitting the Laser 80 but I don't like the idea of carving chunks of foam out of the wing to make it fit. I have one of those 90 degree knuckles so maybe the Thunder Tiger's exhaust will not be too obtrusive. Richard also offers a 90 degree knuckle according to his website.

Posted by David Davis on 30/01/2017 16:26:40:
I don't like the idea of carving chunks of foam out of the wing to make it fit

Its a real non event to do. I just carefully cut through with a sharp knife and removed the sheeting. A heated wire made short work of the foam and once a few bits of 16th ply were cut and glued in place it was job done. I spent more time thinking about it before hand than i did actually doing the work!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how to say this, but I am having second thoughts. I might go electric. There it is said. Anyone got a setup, as I know only enough about this to solder and keep me hands out of the prop arc. Also, recently there was a good RCM&E article about how to design an electric set up, can't find it, but fairly recent.

Donald,

Don't worry....I am going the way of electric...only as my entire fleet are that type, I may go to the dark side, but not with this one so if you have any questions just post away.

Mostly it depends on what stock of lipos you have, that sort of determines where you go with motor (and KV spec), the only thing I have found by experience it not to worry about weight with electric compared with IC.

If I remember Richard mentioned that the battery goes in the nose under the motor (plenty of room) and all of my electric converted IC (originally designed for IC) I have to add lead to get the C of G so rather than lead use a larger lipo and get more flight time.

PS I would shy away from a 320KV and go for a 580KV so you can get a decent prop on it....from experience!

As a friend of Jon's who has got a VQ Hurricane:-

Best use this for reference only as the wing section on the VQ isn't as good as that on the Warbirds Hurricane and the stubby undercarriage legs restrict the prop diameter.

Apart from half an inch here and there the VQ Hurricane 60 is the same size albeit a little heavier. The power setup I use (see below) is more than adequate and, as suggested by Chris, the flight pack is a little oversize to get the benefit from a little more power and duration for the required nose weight.

Flight Pack: 8s3300mAh
Motor: Turnigy SK3 5055 430kv
Prop: APC-E 13x8
Peak Power: 1250w

I know it's a bit OTT, she still flies fine on a 13x6.5 APC-E at 1020w but I enjoy the extra power from time to time. The pack choice came about from using two 4s3300mAh packs that I use in other planes.

I have spent some time today looking at an electric version. I need about a kilowatts or so on (potential) tap.

I have been toying with electric for a time, for mid sized models. The last time I looked, a year ago, my feeling was there or thereabouts, but today I thought expensive. I assume the devaluation of the pound, post Brexit, is the cause.

Perhaps another 80 is th answer.

Thanks Jon, and Brian. Having another think.

But a leccy motor does not stick out of the bottom.

Jon, Looking back through the forum at your mods and at the above pic of your model is making me look forward to the arrival of the kit. Built up tail end definitely something I will do too.

I have toyed with the idea of a small block petrol (Evolution or similar), but when all is said and done I reckon I am a LASER 80 man for this project.

Rob

Hi Rob

The mods take Richards really solid base and just add a little extra too it. The scale size tail has no negative impact on its flight performance and was very enjoyable to do. My only regret is taking all of the dihedral out of the wing as an optical illusion can make it look bowed at certain angles but beyond that its all good.

As for the engine, i think you will enjoy the model with the 80 fitted as there is power to spare and a nice quiet 4 stroke note.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay on the Hurricanes chaps . The 110 ramped up a lot more than I expected .

Started at 10 ended up at 22 . Two different variants and four different spinners!!

The upside is that the heavy duty retracts seem to be going down well . ( Jon has seen them and nodded wisely )

They will probably be a boost to the Hurricane as there is nothing worse than flimsy retracts .

Regarding the electric versions , lets be led by Chris W . he's been there before and like he says ,its all about prop availability then working back . Our Macchi thread elsewhere is similar size so that is a good starting point .

We could also supply the ingenious Motor/ Battery "sledge" in laser cut ply that fits out spitfire .

My best guess at the moment is Hurricane in three weeks , Its a delay , but you will get them , nobody else will !

Like the pictures chaps

Richard