Recommend a M/R for some OLD lads to have a dabble

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

Posted by Fun Flyer on 25/02/2017 18:24:35:

Thanks for that Frank but I have enough headaches without trying to master SBus as well!!
​I've just spent the afternoon with Librepilot running through the setup. All went fine until I got to the last part of the Tx setup. i.e. centre the sticks and then move them to their extremes. I got no results at all. I'll hopefully get back to it tomorrow.
​Fortunately, being of a suspicious nature, I stuck a voltage indicator on what I understood were +5v pins on the PDB before I connected them and got 12v!! I'm using a venerable NiCd pack to power the Rx for the time being.

When you say you got 12v at the PDB, did you mean at the BEC power supply to the Flight Controller? Power should be Lipo - BEC - FC - Rx. If you are using a separate battery then plug the power supply into the FC and it will then supply the Rx, I'm not sure if the FC works properly the other way round. BTW I'm just doing something similar with a CC3D with a view to using it in a fixed wing as a flightstabliser, on the bench at the moment, but should transfer it to a test mule soon.

Ok, the BEC is on the way and should arrive tomorrow. I've connected the standalone 5v pack to the FC as Frank suggested, however I'm still hitting the same wall. The setup works as expected until I get to centring the sticks and moving them to their extremes. The screen shows Receiver Activity for the correct channels but the sticks on the display aren't moving. However if I go back to the Remote Control Input screen the sliders all move as expected when the sticks are operated. Some helpful advice would be very welcome at this stage.

​Using the CC3D as a flight stabiliser in a fixed wing model would be very interesting. I have a second unit and I would hope to fit it to a large Cessna 172 that I'm refurbishing.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 27/02/2017 17:18:14:

Fun Flyer, mine is doing the same, in fixed wing dual aileron mode, but it is moving the servos, I think it must be a bug in Librepilot. I'm using Srxl input, but that shouldn't make any difference.

The one in my quad is running Open Pilot, as I haven't got round to changing over to Librepilot on that yet.

Interesting, and somewhat reassuring, that you're seeing the same effect. I might just ask the question on the Librepilot Forum. I'll wait for the BEC before I do anything more.

I watched a vid the other day on youtube, he unticked a box on cleanflight and re booted. box was ticked again when it came back on and all worked fine. can I remember what box .....no...if i find it i`ll let you know...it may be similar with what you are using .

Posted by Fun Flyer on 27/02/2017 17:25:22:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 27/02/2017 17:18:14:

Fun Flyer, mine is doing the same, in fixed wing dual aileron mode, but it is moving the servos, I think it must be a bug in Librepilot. I'm using Srxl input, but that shouldn't make any difference.

The one in my quad is running Open Pilot, as I haven't got round to changing over to Librepilot on that yet.

Interesting, and somewhat reassuring, that you're seeing the same effect. I might just ask the question on the Librepilot Forum. I'll wait for the BEC before I do anything more.

Just went back onto mine and did a firmware update to the board before starting, and now it all works OK! Sticks move on the screen as they should. Only thing I did different was to use a different Rx battery as the other was getting a bit low, not sure if that would cause a problem though!

Sorry, I think my last post made even less sense than usual! I hadn't bothered to assign the Flight Mode switch because I didn't think it was essential. I fitted the BEC when it arrived this morning and to my surprise it all seems to be coming together. All I need to do now is tidy up all the spurious bits that are hanging off and then work up the courage to put the props on.

Posted by iqon on 27/02/2017 19:37:32:

I watched a vid the other day on youtube, he unticked a box on cleanflight and re booted. box was ticked again when it came back on and all worked fine. can I remember what box .....no...if i find it i`ll let you know...it may be similar with what you are using .

Thanks iqon, Cleanflight doesn't display quite the same as LibrePilot and I didn't see anything that compared to that box. However I've managed to move on another step.
​Nice looking machine you have there.

Posted by iqon on 02/03/2017 17:06:49:

Hope it`s as nice when ive test flown it.......

If you've not flown helicopters or Multi-rotors before, you have to unlearn the habit of chopping the throttle when it starts to go wrong wink if you are on attitude mode on a Multirotor, centralising the pitch/roll stick should level the coptor. I'd recommend starting on that mode, rather than rate mode.

No rain this morning so out to the garden for a test flight. Much to my surprise it actually flies!! Some drifting but I'm sure that can be trimmed out. Climbs like an express lift. It needs a totally different mindset compared to a fixed wing. At least I finished with all the props intact. I'll try and post a video when my nerves settle down.
Thanks for all the help that got me this far.

Edited By Fun Flyer on 04/03/2017 16:03:04

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got to fly my new quad today, delayed through lack of money, then waiting for banggood to deliver. Bought an Eachine 250 Racer

Anyone fancying one don't be put of because it says racing quad, there are 3 modes,angle,horizon.acro, flown in the beginners mode ..angle, it's not an handful and pretty stable, controls feel very nicely balanced, very good model for the money, lights are good as well face 1

Big thank you to my technical crew n lipo sponsor, Mr Gary Manuel yes

Johnaquad 003.jpgaquad 002.jpgaquad 001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...