Recommend a M/R for some OLD lads to have a dabble

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

Posted by Fun Flyer on 09/02/2017 09:46:30:

Another question before I go any further. How symmetrical must the frame be? Motor shaft to motor shaft along the arms is 270 and lengthwise is 300. I thought I was keeping it all square but obviously lost the plot somewhere! I really need some opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

When setting up most flight controllers you have an option as to the rotor layout - an X or '+' arrangement, hex in the case of 6 motors, a 'Y' option for a tricopter etc. In your case there should be an 'H' option which will deal with the asymmetrythumbs up

Pete

Fun Flyer. Did those motors come with a cross mount? If they did bolting the cross mount to the back of the motor and then using cable ties to attach the motor to the frame will create a mechanical fuse for when you crash [which you will] Ive made tri copters out of PVC conduit tubing and fixed motors like that. I've never had a mount break in flight - but I reckon its saved me a few motors in a hard crash. Just an idea!

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 09/02/2017 18:28:09:
Posted by Fun Flyer on 09/02/2017 09:46:30:

Another question before I go any further. How symmetrical must the frame be? Motor shaft to motor shaft along the arms is 270 and lengthwise is 300. I thought I was keeping it all square but obviously lost the plot somewhere! I really need some opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

When setting up most flight controllers you have an option as to the rotor layout - an X or '+' arrangement, hex in the case of 6 motors, a 'Y' option for a tricopter etc. In your case there should be an 'H' option which will deal with the asymmetrythumbs up

Pete

Thanks Pete, I'll look for that option.

Posted by GrahamC on 09/02/2017 18:29:28:

Fun Flyer. Did those motors come with a cross mount? If they did bolting the cross mount to the back of the motor and then using cable ties to attach the motor to the frame will create a mechanical fuse for when you crash [which you will] Ive made tri copters out of PVC conduit tubing and fixed motors like that. I've never had a mount break in flight - but I reckon its saved me a few motors in a hard crash. Just an idea!

Thanks, that's a good point and I had thought of using cable ties. However, the motors didn't come with any mount.

That should be fine - arguably no more or less reliable than a BEC and it's one less component to find a home for. I take it you'll be mounting the flight controller on a platform above the PDB, as it should be as near the centre of the quad as possible?

I see Librepilot doesn't have an 'H' option - as Frank says, you should be able to trim any roll/pitch mismatch.

Pete

Posted by iqon on 20/02/2017 21:07:54:

does it matter what channel you are using on rx ??

That's a good question iqon. The wiring loom that came with the FC has one fully populated connector, i.e. +, - and signal. The others are just a single wire. I've been looking at YouTube and a lot of diagrams and my interpretation is that the full connector goes to the Throttle channel, i.e. Ch3. I may be wrong in that and the other connections are a little bit of a mystery. What is obvious in fixed wing in terms of control isn't when it gets to M/R.
​There's a great danger of the magic smoke escaping!

Posted by iqon on 21/02/2017 19:40:59:

The others are just a signal wire .....I thought the one you have in channel 3 went in channel 1..... but thats just a guess....As I havent built mine yet dont believe a word I say......

Have you watched these ???

Edited By iqon on 21/02/2017 19:56:02

Yes, I've watched most of what I think is the second series.
​This is the diagram I've been working from;

iflight-cc3d-englisch 2102-2.jpg

Posted by iqon on 15/01/2017 16:53:03:

Interesting build BEB, but I wont be doing that, my grey cells that I have left wont allow the Soldering and connecting to computer. I just hope whatever I end up with works straight out of boxembarrassed

Guess I was wrong - I have already been soldering and connecting to computer blush.......Last part ( frame ) just arrived. Let the fun begin...

Re the connections to the Rx it doesn't matter, the power is going to the Rx so can go in any channel. You can then configure what channel does what in the flight controller. A while since I've done it, but on open pilot using the set up wizard you teach the FC the transmitter controls.

The other option if your Rx supports it is to use a serial single wire link ( SBus SXRL etc)

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 25/02/2017 15:42:01:

Re the connections to the Rx it doesn't matter, the power is going to the Rx so can go in any channel. You can then configure what channel does what in the flight controller. A while since I've done it, but on open pilot using the set up wizard you teach the FC the transmitter controls.

The other option if your Rx supports it is to use a serial single wire link ( SBus SXRL etc)

Thanks for that Frank but I have enough headaches without trying to master SBus as well!!
​I've just spent the afternoon with Librepilot running through the setup. All went fine until I got to the last part of the Tx setup. i.e. centre the sticks and then move them to their extremes. I got no results at all. I'll hopefully get back to it tomorrow.
​Fortunately, being of a suspicious nature, I stuck a voltage indicator on what I understood were +5v pins on the PDB before I connected them and got 12v!! I'm using a venerable NiCd pack to power the Rx for the time being.