Multiplex easyglider v Eflite radian pro

Avoid the Radian Pro, not a great choice for gliding beginners and not a great thermaller either! Whilst the Easyglider is a good beginner ship it has limited flat field performance too. Assuming you already fly power already (not clear from your post) then I would not choose either as a first glider.

For the easiest model to learn to thermal with the original 2m Radian is probably best - easy to fly, indicates well, and goes up on a budgie's gaseous emissions! The disadvantage is it is lightweight and somewhat draggy, so does not come back upwind that well. As a result you cannot range a far looking for lift. he Solius is much higher performance overall, but covers the sky and does take more flying. Finally (and my personal favourite) there is the Mpx Heron, a Solius with a full house (4 servo) wing. This is a great plane, but obviously the learning curve will be steeper and you need a radio that can drive all those surfaces.

Edited By MattyB on 26/01/2017 13:38:05

I'll add my support for either the Mpx Solius or Heron.

I and several of my club mates fly the Solius and we all overwhelmingly agree what a great flying all round model it is. I don't know anyone personally who has flown the Heron, but the reviews and user comments I've read indicate that it too is a great flyer which is perhaps better suited to thermalling than the Solius due to it's slightly longer wing and the addition of flaps.

Does it have to be a foamy? the Graupner Amigo is an excellent thermal soarer and perfect for a beginner.
It tows easily and with perfect stability, bungees well, and slopes in calm conditions.

You really dont need ailerons on a thermal soarer IMHO. Or a motor.

Cheers
Phil

PS if you fancy a plan build, the DB Rookie is well worth looking at.

Edited By Phil Green on 26/01/2017 14:46:28

It was in the 70s that I learnt that it is extremely frustrating to find others have a model capable of staying with the thermal, and yours does not have the glide angle to keep up. The best advice I can give is that if thermalling is what you want to do, then go with the better thermal soarer.

Ailerons detract from thermal performance, particularly below 2,5m wingspan - that is the reason the Robin (improved for competition Filip 600) was taken up to 2,4m.

I could suggest a number of fantastic sport thermal soarers - but that was not the question!

Hope that helps,

John

Posted by Phil Green on 26/01/2017 14:39:39:

Does it have to be a foamy? the Graupner Amigo is an excellent thermal soarer and perfect for a beginner.
It tows easily and with perfect stability, bungees well, and slopes in calm conditions.

You really dont need ailerons on a thermal soarer IMHO. Or a motor.

Assuming CJD is a beginner, then yes, a foamie is almost certainly a better bet - they are easier to repair in a bump and get you in the air quicker. If he can already fly power then obviously he could buy a more expensive wood or composite ARTF or kit, but if he's unsure the BNF or PNP foamies are a better bet as they are easily sold on if it soaring isn't your cup of tea.

As for no motor, well yes I suppose if you're purist that's fine, but when learning the advantages of having an onboard power source are too great to ignore - you don't need any kit to carry or setup, just a charged battery, and you can range downwind without the threat of a landout.

Posted by Phil Green on 26/01/2017 14:39:39:

PS if you fancy a plan build, the DB Rookie is well worth looking at.

Flashback! Learnt on one on the slope, and frankly wouldn't want to go back. Alright on a calm summers evening I suppose, but for the 99% of the time those conditions don't prevail there are much better options.

If you are talking a motorised Thermal "starter", then the Radian is IMO unbeaten, trouble is, it's been discontinued! The Radian Pro is a completely different machine and is frankly rubbish at thermal flat field, and not that good on the slope. Yes, there's the Radian XL if you don't mind the extra 600mm span sizing and the price.

The Easyglider is good but expensive if you buy the recommended power set. It is however left without much real competition currently if foam is your thing. With a good pilot it can out soar some pretty dear glass.

I gravitate towards hooligan planes, yet I love my Radian, built from spares after I passed my original on to a pupil. Great fun flying inverted and roll based moves, climbs near vertical, easy to thermal as it provides such ready indication of what its in, great shame they "duffed" it, but good it lives on in the XL, which I WILL be buying in the spring.

Posted by Dave Bran on 26/01/2017 20:42:07:

If you are talking a motorised Thermal "starter", then the Radian is IMO unbeaten, trouble is, it's been discontinued!

Errr, nope! They just rebranded it from Parkzone to Eflite. The 2m is still very much alive and available from Staufenbiel, Wheelspn and plenty of other UK vendors.

Id reccomend the easyglider. i learned on one and taught others to fly with it. its pretty robust. mines been bashed, smashed, crshed, chewed by a curious dog. all fixed with cyanao, hot water and cunning.

radian - i flew one, the wings of the one I flew seemed quite floppy and it had a built in incidence problem - full power results in pitch up with full down elevator insufficient to regain level flight (c/g was as manufacturer reccomends) - it pulls itself into a loop with power on.- perhaps amusing if you are experinced, but a model wrecker if you are a beginner. - this is a well documented issue, was adressed by paul naton along with other radian issues, on his free video" radian tune up".

incidnce issue may now be fixed - was a while ago

If you are not bothed about the resillience of a foamie, want something that will thermal, slope soar in light wings, and like building the west wings orion flies very well (if you build it properly), and is low cost. rudder elevator only but surprisingly agile if you fiddle with the control throws and c/g. just addd vertical grained balsa shear webs to the spar to strengthen it for aerobatics, rudder needs to be atouch larger as control authority is very docile with the standard sized rudder.

Edited By twinstar on 26/01/2017 22:52:09

• 2 weeks later...