Diesel Crackdown

ted hughes

I first heard about this a couple of years ago-when Gordon Brown set tax tariffs according to a cars' "green" credentials, he was misinformed as to diesels- apparently they are very bad pollutants.

There has been talk of banning them completely, but in the meantime, use of them may be discouraged by increasing parking charges, etc (as in London).

This is worth bearing in mind as diesel estates are popular model transporters!https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/27/westminster-council-first-charge-extra-park-diesel-cars-air-pollution-emissions

Edited By ted hughes on 28/01/2017 17:37:47

Weird, one time, they said petrol was bad and encouraged drivers to go to diesel, now they say diesel is bad and encourage drivers to back to petrol. Crazy!

I had petrol while back and hated diesel cars, but after driving the newer CDTi engines - loads of power and torque - for towing caravans. Petrol cars are fast, but lack pulling power, unless you go big.

Then the fuel economy, I have 2 Vectra Estates, both diesel, one is a 1,9CDTI 16v and gives 40mpg, but strangely enough, the other is a 3.0l 24v CDTi V^, giving 184BHP. It gives around 46 MPG, even gunning it. Big engines use less, and the thought of towing a caravan with a 1.0l 3 cylinder engine... oooh!

Both cars have cats and a DPF filters, and don't smoke - as long as all parts are working ok.

Problem is with small engines, they have to be thrashed to get anything out of them. It's only the turbo that gives it the extra power. Like model engines, an engine is best running at around 50-60 power, not at tick-over or at 100% all the time.

Tell, me, I blew two works' van engines, when the pitiful 57 hp 1.9 naturally aspirated diesel engine was being over taken on the M-way by full laden Morrisons trucks.

Twenty years ago the government only looked at the CO2 figure and none of the other pollutants. Developments in Diesel technology using higher pressures and smaller injector nozzles ( to further reduce the CO2) mean the soot particles are now so small they can pass straight through the lung membranes into the blood stream. Hence the development of DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter) systems. Trust me, these are the work of the devil, if you do motorway work they are fine, but drive a modern Diesel mainly in town and you are in for a world of pain. Going back to petrol can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. The small amount of money you save with Diesel is just not enough to cover my bill if you need new injectors or a high pressure pump. The little Peugeot Citroen Diesel quite commonly destroys its high pressure pump and contaminates its injectors in the process, a couple of grands worth of parts and shed loads of labour to fit.

Shaunie.

Edited By Shaunie on 28/01/2017 18:58:46

Banning diesel cars in city centres? What about the pollution from diesel taxis, buses tradesmen's vans and delivery lorries?

Let's not forget the majority of shipping vessels in the world which are chucking out tonnes of diesel pollution on an hourly basis.

Yet again the private motorist has to suffer at the behest of our wonderful politicians. Heck, it wasn't too long ago the government were actively encouraging us to buy diesel cars!

Personally, I drive a Škoda 1.6 diesel (with DPF) to and from work, and after 42000 miles from new I've yet to have any issues. But then I've always used fuel with a low bio content, BP.

It's not just parking you should worry about. Here in Essex there is a Low Emission Zone that starts just inside the M25 - at the moment it only bans old vans and lorries but probably with a stroke of a pen the Mayor or someone could change that to other diesel vehicles.

I don't usually keep my cars long as well, but had to replace twice my cars engines due to long distance commute being seconded to a far away workplace for 3 long years. Those are petrol.

I currently have a VW up! as a runabout and don't plan to keep it for years, but so far it is is reliable and I am happy and have my rear seats folded to have a largish space, but feel I will soon outgrow and need a bigger car.

All Diesel fuel by law is now 5% BioEthanol. A bit like government mandated coin clipping really as it coincidentally give around 5% less mpg.

Don't worry about Adblue, Peugeot Citroen cars use Eolys at around £28 a litre and you usually need a refill of 4 litres at about 75000 miles as well as a DPF washout.

Shaunie.

Just stating that I have a 2.4l LWB high top Transit which I now use for model transport/camping, only about 1600 miles per year, and a 3l Audi diesel for general use. The old Transit does up to 30 mpg and the car up to 48mpg. The van is even cheaper than the car to tax. Which one is the most polluting? Compared with the massive engines in lorries, neither of these can possibly pollute as much. Are they now going to ban trucks, and therefore deliveries, in London? I think not.

The pollution can only be relative to the mpg, and they now want to penalise us whilst the vehicles are parked, thus producing zero pollution.

Posted by john stones 1 on 28/01/2017 20:02:28:

They should triple your road tax, to fund NHS dealing with all the damage you've done to people through "passive " inhalation.

John

Hmm, then maybe the majority of the NHS ambulances shouldn't be diesel so they don't cause any further damage to the patients victims they're picking up? cheeky