Horizon Hobbies

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

What a carry on,i wish i could give HH a good report,my dx6 was sent back to my local model shop,to be repaired under warranty,they sent it to germany,germany then sent it to the usa,then usa said they will return it back to germany,lol,how can the run a business like that,its certainly not good customer service at all,wish id of gone with futaba now,you live and learn!

I have followed this thread for some time, with interest. It has raised a number of general questions in my mind.

The first is are there any dependable tables of RC equipment manufacturers with respect to reliability. It is most unlikely that manufacturers are going to produce any information with respect to public information. Any figures they have will be closely guarded, if used, it will be for use within the business. Are there independant figures out there?

I know that in principal the BMFA endeavours to gather information with respect to RC issues which potentially have a safety aspect. Although with respect to the UK, there are so few of us, most equipment failures go unreported, as to allocating a cause is often contentious, with no defining information. The biggest obstacle being having a large enough sample of reliable data to draw conclusions , from statistics.

I keep thinking no other brand seems to have the issues of Spektrum, but do they have a similar numeric user base, to even make tentative comparisons. Could the numbers of sets sold and in use be so very different, for there not to be any threads on other equipment manufacturers? To some degree, I would be nervous about such information being very public, as we know some are malicious enough to try and push there own agendas, that reflect their prejudices.

Why on earth would they need to send it from Germany to the USA? It reminds me of a non-model related experience I had some years ago when I took an item into a shop for a service job that was promised in two weeks. After two weeks it wasn't back. I went in repeatedly to get the same story that it was taking longer than expected and would be a few more days. After 6 weeks I saw red and for some reason I can't explain walked behind the counter and found it there, it had never been sent! I couldn't get any straight explanation from the red-faced assistant and resisting the temptation to take him by the collar, took it away. I managed to find the engineering company where it was supposed to go and went there myself. I got it back the same week for half the price I would otherwise have paid.

All I'm trying to say is that what you are told isn't always the truth. After using Spektrum for many years I still haven't had any failures either.

Radio 'A' 10000 users 1000 issues reported

Radio 'B' 1000 users 100 issues reported

Radio 'C' 100 users 10 issues reported

So which is the weakest link as Annie used to say????

Hopefully some official clarification and confirmed facts on the whole Horizon / Spectrum situation will be forthcoming very soon.

Besides the radio, the indoor flying season is not too far away, what about obtaining Vapor models and spares???

CK (a Spectrum user with no, touch wood, complaints to date).

Hello

Regarding Al's Hobbies and Spektrum service it is true that he does provide a Spektrum repair service - I have spoken to him at Ridley Hall & Weston Park - he has an ex Spektrum engineer ( Garry )  in his employ 2 days a week.

I think this maybe an unofficial arrangement at the moment but who knows, the future seems brighter !!?? but have purchased a Taranis and do still have my trusty FUT FF9

Q.. I have a DX9 with a fault ( who has'nt ) the battery discharges while the Tx is switched OFF - no it is not a senior moment, although they do occur more often now, please has anyone had the same problem. I've questioned RCG's and the best answer was - it is an FET problem !!?? - idea's anyone...joe

Edited By stubtoe on 19/09/2017 09:19:29

Posted by stubtoe on 19/09/2017 09:18:25:

Q.. I have a DX9 with a fault ( who has'nt ) the battery discharges while the Tx is switched OFF - no it is not a senior moment, although they do occur more often now, please has anyone had the same problem. I've questioned RCG's and the best answer was - it is an FET problem !!?? - idea's anyone...joe

Edited By stubtoe on 19/09/2017 09:19:29

My Dx6 also discharges when switched Off takes about 10 days before the Li-on battery goes flat. No idea what a FET is.

I have a DX6 which does the same thing. Originally supplied with Dry batteries, which discharged at about the rate you might expect. I bought the Spektrum Lithium rechargeable battery pack. After installing it and charging it with the appropriate charger I noticed the same phenomenon. Asked at my LMS which considered it 'normal'. I removed the pack and opened it and beside the battery there is a small electronic circuit which I guess is the charge regulator. I guess this because the Spektrum logo on the TX face doesn't light up when charging unlike my DX8 which does. My guess is the charging circuit in the battery pack is responsible for this self discharge phenomenon, after all lipos have a very low self discharge rate.,

The DX6 & DX9 if I remember correctly their Li-on battery charger and protection cct pcb is built ito the battery pack whereas the DX9 Li-on battery charger and protection cct is part of one of the Tx's pcb's and the wall socket adapter only supplies 12VDC to the Tx - To overcome my discharge problem ( nothing to do with my bodily functions ) I installed a switch in one of the battery leads to stop this intermittent discharge. Although over the last week I have left this switch closed and the battery voltage has not dropped at all. So it would be very difficult to find the fault unless you know of it in advance - and Spektrum are very reluctant / will not tell me where the fault is - damn $$$$...joe

Edited By stubtoe on 19/09/2017 14:05:06

It seems that irrespective of the manufacturer of your equipment, this Mike seems the person to have in your phone. Can a link be posted or just the details?

Again, not specific to Spektrum, typically how much does it cost to post your Tx to a repair shop in the UK and Germany?

Posted by Ikura on 20/09/2017 11:11:59:

Mike Ridley is having a hard time repairing any Spektrum radio because Horizon won't supply him with spare parts. If he happens to have the part, he can fix it but it's unlikely that he has it.

It is definitely worth checking with him before sending any Spektrum gear to him for repair.

This exact problem crossed my mind the other day when MR's name was mentioned. I spent a number of years repairing electronic gear (test equipment) and the issue of obtaining custom spares from the OEMs was a problem twenty five years ago for gear where we weren't a 'preferred repairer'. Seems an appalling restriction of trade designed to keep the £s flowing in one direction only - maybe there are other legal or safety reasons that in the end, simply work in favour of the manufacturer.

AFAIA, obtaining genuine spares for other domestic electrical goods is not a problem, same with cars and I remember obtaining Futaba spares with no problem from Model Avionics in Woolwich, when they had the Futaba service concession. Good lord, HH needs a shake up!

I do have sympathy with your take on spares and repairs situation with respect to HH in this instance. I do know that car manufacturers fought tooth and nail to avoid so called third party equipment, repairs and maintenance supply and operations outside of their direct control. I assume it is the same with domestic electrical issues.

Before the judgement IP issues, namely Copyright, in both equipment design and documentation was the principal argument, used to restrict options.

I do know and i can only assume that Brussels also knows that restriction of retail sales is used by a number of businesses to control the distribution and pricing point of many goods, contrary to EU competition Laws. In this case, not principals, but laws. Yet nothing is done.

However, given that much of the model trade does seem to be struggling to keep their heads above water, I cannot see HH making a fortune, in the way it may be operating. If there is a case to be made, as exsists with the cosmetics industry to allow price fixing, selective sales outlets etc. It could be valid in the case of some aspects, if not all of the operations of the model trade/industry.

Hi Fella's

Just had an email reply concerning my DX9 battery discharging fault, from Mike Ridley - says he has another Dx9 with the same fault - going to let me know when he's found the fault - says he's very busy clearing Spektrum faults since HH UK jumped ship, namely this aircraft carrier Island of ours - seems a very OK fella...joe

Morning Fella's

Percy - He's better than good he's brilliant and magnaminous with it.

At the time I emailed him he had another DX9 in for repair with the same same problem and discovered the faulty F.E.T = Q2 on Pcb DX9MBA RevF a very tiny SMD.

So he sent me two replacements yesterday ( Gabriel's gona give him the key ) how good is that?? - I replaced the FET in my DX9 but because mine was an intermittent fault there was no apparent fix - but bench testing the removed FET I could not get it to operate like I did with the ones Mike sent me - so I must assume problem fixed thanks to Mr Mike Ridley Esq & Bar with Gabriel's Key...joe

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 24/09/2017 09:33:01