Hi from a clueless noobie looking for help !

Phil East

HI, my name is Phil and i am looking for a bit of help and advise. A few years back i was given an old r/c plane model kit as i am a very keen scale model builder.

I have no idea about r/c planes and to be honest it is a hobby that i have neither the finances or space to get into. I am actually looking for any information and preferably a valuation of the kit i have as i would like to sell it to fund some scale model buys.

I apologise for the rudeness of signing up to the forum to just get a value but i have tried and failed miserably to find anything out after quite a while searching google.

The kit is a S.E.5.a. made by model precision and the box art looks to be very old. i think the kit is complete but have no way of knowing. the box is in bad shape but the parts inside look to be ok (to my untrained eye)

Thankyou in advance for any help or information

Phil

Advert

Probably other than small ads in a magazine such as RCM&E ebay is probably the only avenue open to you. The BMFA has a sales section on its website but you have to be a member to use it. Difficult to suggest a value. Posting a photo on here may help. Unfortunately you say the box is in bad shape which will limit its appeal to kit collectors. Anyone buying it is likely to be a builder. A bit more information required like wingspan engine size required, finished weight would help. This info should be one the box or the plan.

good luck

My view Phil is to put that kit to auction simply because it is hard to put a value on it. It does look complete and is in a popular small motor range.

Your honest pics show that it is not a pristine " collectors in the box " storage model; it is to be built and flown.

I will look further when I get a moment

thanks a lot, i have not found anything about the kit so i had no idea if it was even worth listing . the contents of the box all seem to be in very good condition but to be honest i would have no clue about what to look for in terms of defects or damage.

I need to be long winded Phil, as this kit falls in a niche market. It is not a collectors piece. It is a nice builders kit, but is old and may pose some problems and it may not.

Now a flyer can buy a used already to fly around £50, and may not be interested in building at all.

Builders like good timber, and a challenge. You are just in with a chance

I would put that on at £29 + £3 post to attract bids, but this is purely subjective to my experience

In my experience, reserves on E Bay end up costing you money, by not getting your customers on the hook and bidding. Valueing such an obscure kit is difficult. Shove it on at a quid, and see what happens. 10 day auction, finishing at 2000 hours on a Sunday. But be warned, it is nowadays an odd size, today the builder will convert to electric power (probably), and we builders are a minority. Your market is small. But such kits are not made much nowadays. Therefore your market is hungry. Good luck

Agree with everything Donald says.

In my experience, the best price on Ebay is usually achieved with £1 start, no reserve, 10 day auction finishing Sunday evening. That gets the widest audience of potential bidders who are likely to (a) be in when the closing stages are happening and (b) think it's worth a bid.

I've found almost nobody bids if there is a high start price. A reserve makes little difference, but will cost you in Ebay fees, and can put a few people off.

Another vote for the low start. I've put a reserve on the few items of any value that I've ebayed but started at a penny. This seems to attract early bids, maybe a small flurry of activity and then, in several cases, a bidding war from some of the early bidders at the very last minute.

This seems to be a win/win situation - if collectors take a fancy to it then it may go for silly money, a builder may get a nice looking kit for a reasonable price and you'll probably get the market price. If it doesn't make a lot, you haven't lost anything anyway!

Edited By Martin Harris on 15/03/2017 09:53:37

Posted by Peter Miller on 15/03/2017 11:06:45:

I found the plan on Google. Looks quite a nice kit. The advice about EBay is good. Also, now that you are registered here put a notice on the appropriate thread so we can all watch it. You will find the builder on this Forum,that is for sure.

I could even be interested in bidding myself!!!

could you put a link to the plan, Peter? I can't find it.But I like the model.

Edited By ted hughes on 15/03/2017 13:16:27

Thanks for the replys guys, i have been advised to sell on ebay around new year time as apparently then will be the the optimum time so i might wait and do that. I will certainly make a post in the forum when i list it to let you all know. Again thank you all very much for the help.