Spring is Here....

Advert

Went flying yesterday afternoon. It was a beautiful day in central France, tee shirt weather. I was the only instructor there so spent the whole afternoon teaching beginners. I hadn't anticipated the situation so hadn't charged the club's trainer overnight. Too busy and disorganised! After four or five flights I checked the condition of the receiver battery. It was down to 12% so I got out my WOT 4 Foam-E. I demonstrated to my trainee that it was quite an aerobatic little model but that it was also capable of flying very slowly, then I gave him control on the buddy box. He took to flying it like a young duck takes to water! I stood there admiring his progress. However, I allowed the flight to continue for so long that when I took back control to land the model, the battery had discharged to such a degree that it was incapable of providing sufficient power to the receiver and the model crashed to the ground! My fault of course and it will repair.

blush.

Have to say yesterday had a cool wind at our new site in Cheshire, not quite the postcard view but nice all the same. here are a couple of members planes having a shake down before the show season starts. Never seem to get a picture of my own as I am usually the only one with a camera.

dp-gb-26032017_25.jpg

dp-gb-26032017_3.jpg

dp-gb-26032017_30.jpg

My trusty 14 years old trainer suffered an uncharacteristic dead stick last week. The last one, if there was one with this engine, was so long ago I can't remember it. The model was okay but the engine was a write off, bits of metal and bearings all over the place.

Today with a new ASP 46 mounted in the front I headed off to the field and was quite surprised by what happened, not only did it start easily, first time of asking (okay they do that) but after setting the main needle the idle was spot on. It just sat there burbling away nicely and when I opened the throttle after 30 seconds or so there was no hesitation in achieving the top end revs I had set for running in. Nice one Mr ASPthumbs up. I'm sure it would have been fine flown like that but I like to know the engines really ready.

So, a few heat cycles on the ground and off she went, as good as new, no issues. A gorgeous day full of blue sky, skylarks, buzzards, ravens, reed buntings and a bright yellow Irvine Tutor 40.

Really pleased smile.

Edited By Ian Jones on 27/03/2017 20:51:51

What a winter, most of the local golf links have been closed due to water logging, other than the one world famous course. Here i have observed massive drainage projects over the early autumn and spring only to witness the greens being watered with water cannons, whilst my wife fumed at her courses being closed.

I do lament that I cannot fly of any of the courses in the winter, as unlike my ex local municipal, non close for winter, full stop, plus they are far more precious with respect to access. This winter I do not really remember any dead still, bitterly cold days, that would have me out on the rough, with my indoor model.

More of a nuisance was that my now, club field, has also been water logged, although perched on the top of a ridge, that passes for a hill on the Fylde. I quickly learnt my lesson that trainers were not a good idea, as my squelched inside. My walking boots were also very much tested. Others knew that Wellington boots were a much better idea.

The track leading to the field had a lot in common with pictures of the Somme of WW1, without all of the misery that went with it. Non the less, the wheel arches of my car were caked in mud from each journey, that had to be hosed off, virtually after each visit.

The problem of the anti-fracking activists is still an issue, on week days. On Sunday a small rump of the group were present at a nearby Garden centre, where apparently free coffee is available to them. They still intimidate as you pass, during the week they are far more agressive. But my journey to the field was not troubled by them, for once.

The trundle down the track, was now on a hard compacted mud surface, although now rather bumby due to farm traffic.

At the field itself, a few had gathered, now the issue are the delinquent sheep, that have evaded the electric fence, congregating on the raised decking of the cabin, and of course churning up the field itself.

One model had been damaged during an attempted take off, having caught one wheel in a divot. Other very large petrol acrobatic jobs had no trouble, leaping into the air after a run of 6 inches. That is what 100 cc petrol engines can do for you. I watched in admiration, as the precision and low height acrobatics seemed to be the result of a long summer of practice, rather than perhaps the first flight for many weeks.

In my case, i had taken two new models and a rejigged old model. A close pre-flight examination by my test pilot highlighted a number of issues which meant, no flying them today. The most serious was that the fail-safe setting. On switching off the Tx, the model went to full power on one of the models. On reflection this was a consequence of having set the FS prior to installation. i then found i had not reversed the throttle channel as required on Futaba. The other absolutely stupid omission on the second model, the servo arm screws were not installed on the elevator and rudder. This one has me rather more perplexed, not only why they were missing, but how I had missed the fact, until arriving at the field, going through the pre-flight checks.

As to my seldom used model, after my modifications to improve it, it is still a dog. Although it will happily fly inverted, albeit with poor inherent directional properties, it will bunt and loop OK. Where it is deficient is in turning, being unpredictable, in that the turn can suddenly tighten. However the most disturbing is a tendency to start to tuck under, with a small amount of down elevator. Yet I do persist as it is a challenge both to improve and to some degree fly smoothly.

Where I am still struggling is to predict the weather at the field, as by the golf course going for my newspaper, it was great. At the field a bit of a blow. At the beach, barely 300 yards from my home blowing quite hard. Being able to see or not see the Penines from home seems to tell me little. So predicting the weather with any accuracy 10 miles away is beyond me.

David I still have a house in the Lake District, as i once worked there,which we hope to sell now. I was up there last week, snow on most of the tops, also at low level approaching Penrith and over Shap.

The saying in the area where i worked was, "if you can see the Isle of Man, it will soon be raining, if you cannot, it is".

One aspect of the area (LD) is that it really does have very, very local weather at times. Either dependent on position or altitude. Where I used to live, the weather was predictable over an area, and contrary to popular opinion, very dry. The Fylde is difficult for me to predict, seems cooler than Cheshire, definitely windier, or so it seems.

Just enjoyed a very pleasant Sunday afternoon flying session in the sunshine with my son and father in law. The lad and I are dabbling with FPV and this was our second session - we share the model and act as safety pilot for each other. It's certainly very interesting, and we were both chuffed to have carried out our first landings with the goggles, safely on the strip (albeit with a bit of verbal assistance from the "safety".

Beautiful sunny weekend but accompanied by gale force winds making flying impossible.

So, I contented myself with editing a video of a friends E-Flite Opterra from a couple of weeks ago Which i hope to upload shortly. Meanwhile, here are a few photos grabbed from the video.

p1 opterra.jpg

p2 opterra.jpg

p3 opterra.jpg

p4opterra.jpg

p5 opterra.jpg

p6 opterra.jpg

Edited By Steve Colman on 02/04/2017 18:01:23

Great day today, bit of Sun on your back feels lovely, practicing for my A on M/Rs, got the hovering bit sorted, lazy eights not tidy enough yet, Lights are good on it idea

Our newest member Evangelis, passed out for Solo today on his second visit, he's never flown before but flies full size microlights, lads a natural wink

Johnaquad 1 007.jpg

aquad 1 005.jpg