Spring is Here....

Advert

Got out this morning, but I'm not sure spring is here yet, it was freezing! Anyway, the WWXL flew great again, loose exhaust sorted with high temp silicon, and my new aileron linkages worked a treat.

This really is a nice plane to fly, with pretty much unlimited vertical with the OS33GT.

img_1336.jpg

img_1334.jpg

Excellent Rich2 yes

Just come back from Davidstow MFC. A great days flying. Took C-FXME Stampe. Flew nicely as usual. Had a couple of members wiggle the sticks on her. They both enjoyed it and said had how smoothly it flew. Came home happy.

Edited By cymaz on 07/05/2017 16:29:56

The anti-fracking protestors have now made national news. For once the TV crews showed and reported what really goes on. The news item contained a small piece of one of the protestors explaining why breaking laws and other behaviours are morally justified. The good news at week end they seem to have given up. So my trip to and from the field, was unimpeded, without additional stresses. Wednesday was another experience, placards of police brutallity, as passing motorists are pretty much intimidated. It like going back into the 70s, with some of the union pickets.>>

The last few days, or is it weeks, have not been the kindest up here, to us model flyers. Sunday was so very different. Horizon to horizon sunshine, complete with air and calm wind, or is that lack off.>>

I had repaired my PM Cassut, making a mental note that I must buy some Birch Ply, as the use of furniture grad and light ply, just is not good enough for some high stress parts. The quick repair of the ply mounting plate became a major bit of surgery, all because the ply I used was rubbish. The CG was moved right foreword to the 20% point, to complete the maintenance.

>>wp_20170413_13_46_40_pro.jpg>>

After the rather scary first flight, especially for the pilot. My cajoled test pilot and I took the model to the far extremes of the patch. A flight plan was device, where the model would be put down, however, if things were no going well. After a thought air frame examination, and control surface check, the model was placed into the, what could be described as wind. The throttle opened, the model rapidly accelerated across the grass, lifted off. It was immediately apparent that on this occasion there was control. The trims adjusted, a circuit in each direction flown. The stall checked, a loop, inverted flight were all carefully undertaken. My TP pronounced that all was well and would I like to try. With a degree of trepidation, i flew a circuit or two; I think I looped the model a few times. Pretty sure I did not undertake any rolls or inverted flight. All I knew and as others later commented the model is fast. Although I do not know of the top of my head what the watts drawn are, I seem to remember it was about 400w on a 36" span model, that great effort was made to build light. Passing the model back to the TP, the model was brought into land, where it tipped over onto its nose.>>

Observing the landing, lead to a discussion as to the damage that the sheep had done to our patch. No amount of electric fences kept them out, having just battered down great lengths of the wire. Not to careful examination of the ground revealed thousands if not millions of double incisions from their feet. The surface is now anything but smooth. Apparently consideration to rolling is being discussed, to deal with the issue. Anyway they have now gone; no doubt we all will be having our revenge via the butchers department at the supermarkets.>>

I had also taken the opportunity to sort out my trim settings on the PT 19, to move the trim on the Tx back to the middle. These simple adjustments seem to be just about OK. I also took the opportunity to increase the aileron movement, as the model is sluggish to respond. The other change was to increase the trim button increments, to make the servo arm move a little more on each button press. The model flew well, although I am acquainting myself with it.

>>wp_20170228_09_50_56_pro.jpg

However another flight on Wednesday still indicates an issue. The ailerons are ineffective just at take off, although fine once flying. It could be that the model just does not accelerate fast enough, then is on the stall for those few seconds , just as it lifts off.

A new, at least to me, Northrop Tiger Shark was flown. Jet models really do impress. As is usual I was taken aback, on the shear presence both in the air and on the ground.>>

A1/3rd scale Corby light plane was also present and flown; the finish was so good, that I was convinced it was built by a small army of young women in the Far East. The finish and fits were incredible. I had to remind myself, this is built by your TP, not only a great flyer, also a brilliant builder.>>

As is common place the big petrol aerobatic models were present and doing their stuff. Some one, I do not know who was filming these models and the jet, using what appeared to be professional equipment.>>

In the very near future the club is holding a fly-in under the BMFA banner, perhaps some of you will come, the club really does do great bashes of all types, from bonfires, barbecues, club nights, now a FLY_IN.

• 2 weeks later...

Life is incredibly cruel, so it seems, as i stood in our garden. I had gone out this evening to access how a couple of patches of grass, growing from seed were doing. I was thinking, it is quite warm, I found, my eyes being drawn to the heavens, two gulls were to be seen, turning in a thermal, separated in height by a significant margin. In the same moment I realised that the wind speed is almost still, not the 15-19 mph of earlier.

I had been to our field both on Saturday and Sunday, trundling along A583, not a protestor to be seen. I had been made aware that the road now adjacent to where the protestors hang out now has a 30mph speed limit, down from 50 mph, although 60 mph would have been appropriate. Apparently you all will have seen a national news item, as to how the protestors had blocked the road, making it very difficult for the ambulance services to get injured from a major incident on the M55 to hospital. Apparently initially defying police requests to allow traffic to move. You really need to have a lot of conviction to be prepared to inflict so much on others.

I did think of Martin Meoller, where the morality was meant in a very general sense, rather than the specific. I thought i do winge about laws being broken, now selfishness and a believe in being absolutely right, I do nothing, must be as bad as them.

At the field my wind meter was indicating 6-9 mph so I thought. I casually thought, even low wind speeds have quite a punch to them. The wind being southerly was directly across our patch. I decided that I would try my glider, with its new Lipo, hopefully much better with the walking dead Lipo I used last week. I have decided to move to that fancy brown plug that most HK batteries come with now. To that end I am making up conversion plugs as i go along, until that day, when a 100% switch will be made. The glider screamed skywards, with over 500 watts pulling a 2m glider, it moved. The down side, the mechanics of the all moving tail plane was very much tested. A lot of stick work was necessary to keep it moving roughly where I wanted to go. Surprisingly there was a lot of lift about, both dynamic from the topography and thermals. From time to time I was joined by gulls. Who just as quickly would melt away. I flew for just 20 minutes, no one else came and i was lonely, Billy no mates, he went home.

Today i had the car packed with a lot of models, that is 4. The wind still blew from the south, the low airspeed issue being resolved on finding that the settings had reverted back to m/s. Reset, the wind speed was between 15-19mph. One other very competant and confident pilot was fling aeros, I never cease to be amazed what others can do, and think of doing. No one else took to the air. I again launched my 2m Sagitta, today I did not find the thermals so readily, landing after some 20 minutes. Just to rub salt into the wounds, a learner, took of cross wind, flew loads of circuits and stuff, landed cross wind, without apparent effort. How I have come to wonder about youth.

On getting home, I found that the Tail plane on my HK WACO SRE had been broken by a book of road maps falling of the parcel shelf onto it.

Yes, life can be very cruel.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 21/05/2017 18:13:34:

I was busy spraying weedkiller around my premises, too idle to load my planes and venture out. Forecasters say great weather coming.

Me too, though I really had to cut the grass while the mower could still cope with it. I won't mind if it rains all this week as the builders are in for the week so I can't go flying whatever the weather crying

Hmmm. I must live in a different country, as wind speeds of 9.2 and so on do not compute.

Then again perhaps they do, most of us try and fly sometime between 10;00 to probably 16:00hrs. Where as the wind speed averages probably is evening and night, when we all now the Gods mock us, during these hours being a dead calm.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, it was good was it not!

Who would have thought that Elvis had moved, discretely to Lytham. All those idiots who thought he worked in a Fish and chip shop, when in reality he is a top notch model aerobatic flyer.

Oh, you were not there, at the Blackpool and Fylde fly in, on Sunday. Well you missed a great event. Music via a DJ, plus a performance from Elvis, he was worth the journey, just by himself. a Barbecue, flight line commentary. Best of all all those flying had a great time. Not many better fields to fly from either.

Make a date in your diary for next year, it might even be better, difficult, but possible.

wp_20170528_13_08_54_pro.jpg

wp_20170528_13_07_12_pro.jpg

wp_20170528_13_07_00_pro.jpg

wp_20170528_13_04_47_pro.jpg

wp_20170528_13_04_24_pro.jpg

wp_20170528_13_04_08_pro.jpg

I have missed quite a few models, then again never did claim any ability at photography. I missed the club flyers out, because i am easily impressed.

Having acquired this twist-wing design slope soarer a few weeks ago, I got around to flying it yesterday from our south-west slope.

The model was identified by a fellow forumite as a Finale... an RM plan from 1988.

As my description suggests, there are no control surfaces as such - the wings rotate for "aileron" and "elevator" control... Seemed to work quite well, but pitch control seems limited. Roll rate is good!

!cid_01bc97f5-9446-4f2d-bd20-f68bfc84c84f@eurp192_prod_outlook.jpg

!cid_80b01d5b-9192-436f-925e-41dd99de344f@eurp192_prod_outlook.jpg

!cid_78251a28-4a0d-408b-ae4b-2887c77a4bae@eurp192_prod_outlook.jpg

!cid_da02fece-59a1-4255-9f6e-a669522b658d@eurp192_prod_outlook.jpg