Can my glider be towed using it's hi-start hook?

I've recently finished a basic pod and boom fuselage, so that I can get an old set of Precedent Hi Fly wings up in the air.

Heh, but I built it without considering that the club I go to rarely has a bungee set up these days.

So, the question in the title stands. Can it or can it not be towed up using the belly hook?

Edited By Chuck Plains on 06/05/2017 16:52:01

I don't think its quite that clear cut, TBH.

What control surfaces do you have?

If you have ailerons it is possible to aerotow using a hook, but it is certainly a good idea to ensure both the tug and the glider can release the tow if necessary.

Without ailerons you simply will not be able to aerotow using the hook, unless the idea is to use masses of power and go up vertically, irrespective of what the glider is doing.....

An alternative might be piggy back cradle?

Posted by PatMc on 06/05/2017 21:35:05:

What about a pylon mounted motor ?

Heh, I already have a 'firewall' built in and just added a foam nosecone in front of it. So a motor was always in the background for this one.

But to truly answer your question. I detest the sight of motor pylons. To me, they're about as attractive as an armchair on an Albatross.

Only done it a few times , on my own, using a bungee. Down elevator to get it up and then up elevator or fly past bungee to get off. Models did not have ailerons.

Does being towed by a tug make much difference?

Edited By Hamish on 07/05/2017 10:43:57

Posted by Chuck Plains on 07/05/2017 08:40:31:
Posted by PatMc on 06/05/2017 21:35:05:

What about a pylon mounted motor ?

Heh, I already have a 'firewall' built in and just added a foam nosecone in front of it. So a motor was always in the background for this one.

But to truly answer your question. I detest the sight of motor pylons. To me, they're about as attractive as an armchair on an Albatross.

I built a Hi Fly years ago (in fact it's still up in the loft) and IIRC there was a motor pylon kit included. It was designed to fit between the wings. I think I glued it together but never covered, painted or used it. In fact I only had a couple of attempts to fly it well before I passed my 'A' or had any idea how to fly!

Geoff

Posted by Andy Meade on 07/05/2017 22:18:06:
Posted by Andrew Ray on 07/05/2017 20:26:49:

I don't think it is a good idea to aerotow using any form of belly hook.

As above - aerotow releases need to be in the nose or very close to it on the underside.

Again, check out Speedster's video. smile d

What needs to be borne in mind is not only the tow hook position, but the effect of the moment arm trying to rotate against the centre of pressure. In plain terms, a fairly low set wing (like the model in the video) is less critical than something like a scale vintage model with a high mounted wing.

In the full size world, belly hooks have been responsible for far too many tug upsets where the glider has rotated the tug's tail up and put the tug into the ground when a glider pilot has got just a little too high. At least with typical C of G hooks on model tugs this is a lesser hazard to the tow plane but tugging from a hook designed to facilitate a high angle of attack towline or bungee launch is bound to make life uncomfortable.

Posted by Chuck Plains on 07/05/2017 22:51:16:
Posted by Andy Meade on 07/05/2017 22:18:06:
Posted by Andrew Ray on 07/05/2017 20:26:49:

I don't think it is a good idea to aerotow using any form of belly hook.

As above - aerotow releases need to be in the nose or very close to it on the underside.

Again, check out Speedster's video. smile d

Yes, quite near the nose - certainly not where a bungee tow hook is usually placed (with a few inches of the c of g). Having it rearwards will produce the same result you actually want on a bungee or towline - the glider will kite up wards, instead of trailing behind and slightly above the tug's tail.

A good article here from the font of RC aerotow - Scale Soaring UK.

Yeap, I've removed the hook for now. My cheap bungee from Hobbyking really didn't get the thing up all that high, though I may be doing something wrong.

So the tow pad of velcro loops is positioned on the belly and directly behind the (now slightly squashed looking) foam nose cone. I've put 2 pieces x 50mm x 20mm wide of it on there, just to give a bit of choice. But the attachment for the line is just a short piece of nylon cord looped through a 30mm piece of 'hooks' folded in half and stitched together. So the actual attachment will only be about 15mm x 20mm.

2 chan velcro thingies.jpg

2 chan velcro tow attached.jpg

I'll be asking the tug pilot to give us a 30 degree-ish climb out and see what happens. Oh, plus the first tugged flight will be with an experienced pilot, if I can find someone willing to help.

I'm still chucking it to try and work out this new 2 channel style flying. Doing some more test chucks this pm, before Devon Glider Day tomorrow. WSW and SW winds will make it a perfect day.

Good luck Chuck, hope it goes well, towing without ailerons isn't the easiest, on my gliders where I have coupled aileron rudder I have the tow release switch set to switch out the coupled aileron - rudder and activate it on release. On tow all the glider pilot needs to do is keep the wings level and let the tug pull them round, if the glider pilot tries to turn they often turn inside the tug which then results in a slack line and a snatch.

BTW we set our bungee up the other day, 20m of rubber with 80m of line, rubbish wind so poor launches, but on the 3rd launch we hit a thermal and ended up with a 20+ min flight with a rudder/elevator Bird of Time

Doh!

It was a bit too breezy to try it today. Gusting to 20mph is asking a lot for a 400g 2 chan with a 20 year old balsa wing, even with our club safety officer offering to maiden it. So we left it for now.

I shall reinstall the tow hook and attempt to bungee it if the wind drops one evening this week.

As to how to disconnect, you just give it some good up elevator and the velcro should pull apart. Even our tug pilot had heard of this method, though he'd never tried it.

Heh, better luck next time I guess.

Ahh, the Bird Of Time! Is that the 3mtr one? Such a beautiful shape. Definitely a bird I am considering purchasing, despite telling myself I have to make everything on the cheap.

Cheep cheep!