Anet A8

Geoff Gardiner

The A8 is certainly good value and well supported with various forums, it's built of Generic parts so there is a ready supply of spares at low prices. I have mine a couple of months now, totally bog stock and still not fully dialled in, but more than satisfied with what it produces.

It is a kit, if your Degree Proficient in Meccano at age 10, building is straight forward, all the parts are well labelled and the youtube assemble videos very useful, took about 3 evenings of work to build, computer proficiency is a must, while it runs stand alone, you have to manipulate the files, install and configure software etc, I am still a learner in 3D modelling software, getting there slowly!

I bought from gearbest.com, typical China supplier. Delivery took 4 weeks, it seems it was Airfreighted by a Baku based carrier to Prague, DHL (road?) to a London address, and then Yodel to home, tracking details were only given for Yodel which only appeared about 12 hours before actual delivery on Xmas Eve!!!, It escaped any VAT or duties!!!, seems once in Prague it treated a an EU delivery!!

At £105 I am well pleased with the result

The A8 is great for small parts, brackets and stuff. It will also print some quit large complicated parts but you have to be patient and not try printing too fast. The frame isn’t ridged enough for high print speeds.

And although it pains me to say it the pla from Ridged Ink is worth the money, very forgiving and good print quality but it’s twice the price of the none branded stuff from eBay and amazon.

Nev.

I would agree about printing relatively slowly with the Anet A8 but if you do it can print some surprising shapes.

battlidprint.jpg

Tall and thin (10 mm thick by 25 mm wide and 150 mm tall) in still printed perfectly.

Perhaps even more extreme is this, also printed in PLA..tallthin1

Part of what will hopefully become a printed plane it looks very top heavy. Nevertheless it printed fine and by the time it was finished it was within 5 mm of the printers 240 mm top limit. smile o

I don't think I would want mine for printing a model or anything large. It would be good to make my own brackets and clips for the jets rather than buying someone else's printed parts or using wood (not better than would, just a bit more fun modelling in 3D etc).

Looking at Gearbest etc, it doesn't seem any cheaper than buying from a UK ebay vendor.

I also looked at the A6, but at the moment it is a fair bit more money and i really don't want to invest too much into it.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I’m using Cura 14.7 with my Anet A8, which was the one recommended in the instructions. I keep getting messages telling me there in a newer version available, which I have so far ignored.

Is anybody using a later version, or indeed are people still using Cura, not that I know what else might be available.

Nev.

Nev

I started with the CURA version that was included with my A8. I have since updated CURA as each new versions is released.

There are some slight changes in the style but the basics remain the same although the number of selectable print variables is now over 300! but don't worry you have to select them for them to show.

With the help of the CURA forum I have now used a couple of the 'clever' print options available in the latest version to solve a specific print issue. .

• 2 weeks later...

I have just spent a day figuring out a weird problem that suddenly appeared with my printing:

filament.jpg

The items above are panel details for a Mosquito that I am building. They are 1mm thick and the one on the right is what was printing before I figured out the problem. I tried printing more substantial items and they all came out like the example on the right.

I thought I would post this in case it helps anyone with the same issue.

Before I reveal the resolution, would anyone like to guess?

Hint: The issue was software based (Cura) and not a problem with the Anet A8.

Posted by Geoff Gardiner on 05/04/2018 23:44:03:

Spot on, Martin.

I hadn't done an upgrade but somehow the filament diameter had changed to 2.85mm. I didn't notice because I only keep the drop down menus open for settings I alter, so I can't see how it got changed.

I will know where to look if it happens again.

Don't ask me how I knew...blush

I have a problem! I'm probably being stupid but can anyone help. Re - the problem other people have had with cheap filament, Mine has snapped off right at the lip of the print head so I haven't got an end to pull it out. I've tried running the print head up to temperature and pushing it through with a new bit of filament, but that hasn't helped. is there any way I can clear the print head?

Martin - glad you liked that mod... i was going to re-reccomend it tonight but you beat me to it smiley

My first batch of prints were all upgrades which i still find amusing

As i have used it more i have realised that belt tension and alignment are important so i have done an x-axis belt retainer (needed a new belt to be long enough for this) and y axis adjustable tensioner (both from Thingyverse).

I also found that, despite using the auto levelling sensor, my first layer was sometimes stringy ... but just the first layer.

I happened to notice that my one z axis looked a little higher than the other and have found that with time and use one side gets higher than the other - probably due to not being perfectly square or maybe my table isn't level - so i manually set them to be the same whilst unplugged (slowly so that you don't create a current into the main board) and then it prints great.

If you haven't done a lithophane yet you really must! A very slow print and takes hours but wow!

Select your favorite picture and go here: http://3dp.rocks/lithophane/ to create the stl file.

I followed a YT tutorial to give me tips how to do it ... just amazing results (I used white PLA which worked really well)

Have fun with the A8 Pete! .... now i must finish setting up that laser surprise