Range check and signal loss

I lost a model a couple of weeks ago (vertical decent into ground after failsafe engaged) Habu efd with AR500 RX & DX8 (old) which was quite a long way out but still clearly visible.

So having glued it back together and asked a club mate to wiggle the sticks from the flight line and throttle up occasionally (don't worry fingers well away from the edf). and went for a walk to the crash site along the field track.

I got nearly to where I lost it (bearing in mind the model was at waist height so worst case and it lost signal, on the way back but not until I was nearly in the flying field it linked up again

So tried a range check, but it will only pass if I am facing the model at the reduced power setting and distance (as per TX instructions). I even tried a different RX better but only by a couple or metres.

So questions are:

Should facing away at a range check cause loss of signal?

As its more than one RX showing the issue, could it be the TX?

Advert

Chris, range checks are just that, a range check. If you have to mess about to do it, it is a fail, don't fly, not a pass. In my experience all makes of radio sail though the check. I would say you have an issue with aerial installation or a transmitter fault. Prob the aerial.

Hi Chris, there is not a great deal of room in the Habu, and aerial shielding can be an issue.

Also, check the tx aerial is not disconnected inside the tx as it press studs onto the PCB.

Also constant handing can snap the Tx aerial.

Try to feed the long RX aerial away from wiring and battery, a difficult task, or resite the RX best you can

Edited By Denis Watkins on 26/05/2017 08:27:52

Posted by Chris Walby on 26/05/2017 06:33:42:

I lost a model a couple of weeks ago (vertical decent into ground after failsafe engaged) Habu efd with AR500 RX & DX8 (old) which was quite a long way out but still clearly visible.

Somewhat unlikely after such a long time, but the AR500 did have well documented issues on release. Could this be an old RX that was affected by QC issues? I believe Spektrum never did recall the 500s, but they did replace them with the 600 series. Might be worth replacing it with a different RX model.

Edited By MattyB on 26/05/2017 13:20:06

Posted by Debbie Rooney on 26/05/2017 13:20:32:

Donald .can i ask why you assume i don't fly? is it because i'm female? is that not a bit (read very) sexist? like many others i've had my fill of failures on Spektrum and now use Jeti. I am a bit annoyed about what you said.

To be fair, Debbie, I didn't understand your first post either, until I looked at the other thread, as Dave pointed out.

It looked as if you were mocking. Clearly that wasn't the case! Donald asked "if he was missing something", and it turns out he was missing something. I don't think either he or I are sexist...

I would like to thank those that have contributed to this post in a positive way and can we please keep it on topic, cheers.

As suggested I will try it with another TX on the two RX's and see what results I get + One comment from a club member was that the AR500 will be operating on DSM2 and to try the same test with a DSMX RX.

Posted by Debbie Rooney on 26/05/2017 10:12:45:

I think.......just think there may be a few comments on here where the posters may be kidding themselves.............laugh..................out..................loud........

....................................................................................................................................................

hello and welcome from me too Debbie, I can normally read between the lines etc...but your reply had/has me baffled and puzzled....I've missed your point also, could you clarify please...I've read your other posts....

ken Anderson...ne...1...... puzzled dept.

Debbie, I would suggest if you want to say something use English as a means of communication, rather than obtusion of meaning. You reference to sexism I take as a reference to your view of the world. I do not believe we have yet met.

Posted by Debbie Rooney on 26/05/2017 13:20:32:

Donald .can i ask why you assume i don't fly? is it because i'm female? is that not a bit (read very) sexist? like many others i've had my fill of failures on Spektrum and now use Jeti. I am a bit annoyed about what you said.

Please don't draw the sex card. we all fly and try to go home with our models intact.

Chris  whilst it is technically feasible that you can block the signal or indeed find a null I would regard any failure of range test as worthy of investigation. Espescially as you have had an issue I have used the old DX8 for four years and intend to use it for many more it seems to be a high quality bit of kit. I have never however used any of the dsm2 receivers. They do appear to have various issues. Suggest you get an Ar600 and then do careful range test do not  however overlook the transmitter switch and corrosion. Check it carefully. They are a poor quality component on ALL makes of radio

Edited By gangster on 26/05/2017 15:53:54

Chris, why not mount a (the receiver), on a plank of wood, with battery switch etc. Call the model 'the plank'. Range test it. This way you know you have lost any potential aerial installation problems, and are testing your components. If it passes on the plank with ease, if the problem comes back in the Habu, you will know you have an installation issue.

As a personal issue I like receivers with satellites so I can move aerials to suite me, rather that what the receiver will allow. But that is opinion only.

Edited By Donald Fry on 26/05/2017 16:16:42

I have an old 1st generation foamy Habu with an AR500 and DSM2 only Dx6i and it's been fine. Remember there was an issue with theearly Dx8 when they initially did an update to make them DSMx compatible with them then locking out on DSM2 rxs and they needed to be sent in for modification.

Also note on a range check, water absorbs 2.4 and the human body is over 80% water, so putting your body between the Tx and Rx will reduce the signal.

Posted by Martin Harris on 26/05/2017 18:07:09:
Posted by gangster on 26/05/2017 15:51:25:

do not however overlook the transmitter switch and corrosion. Check it carefully. They are a poor quality component on ALL makes of radio

Really?

Agreed - I cannot see any way a failed or failing switch could reduce range. If that were a problem the TX would be either fully off or oscillating between on and off, either of which would be very easy to spot.

Posted by MattyB on 26/05/2017 19:15:45:
Posted by Martin Harris on 26/05/2017 18:07:09:
Posted by gangster on 26/05/2017 15:51:25:

do not however overlook the transmitter switch and corrosion. Check it carefully. They are a poor quality component on ALL makes of radio

Really?

Agreed - I cannot see any way a failed or failing switch could reduce range. If that were a problem the TX would be either fully off or oscillating between on and off, either of which would be very easy to spot.

Yes but we must consider all possibilities, how do we know that that range thing was the cause of the crash and not just a red herring of secondary issue. Unless we want shares in the bin bag company it is imperrative to leave no stone unturned. And no a dicky switch is not so easy to spot