Man on the moon. Really?

Martin  McIntosh

Advert

Hard to argue with that John. While the probability that the landings were faked is not zero, it is sufficiently low that it can be taken as fact. Moon landing conspiracy theories are absurd and illogical, but generally harmless in the big picture of things. There are lots of other deliberate conspiracy theories (e.g. the side effects of vaccines) that kill hundreds of people every day!

Thanks chaps.

I can understand the doubts amongst youngsters brought up on the superb CGI etc available today, but 50 years ago - which is when the planning to fake would have had to start - we simply couldn't do it. So, a non-starter.

I totally agree 'The Wright Stuff'. The only harm 'the moon landing is fake' conspiracy theory does is encourage this style of nonscientific thinking and give it credibility. The nonsense about 'multiple vaccines are bad for you' - one of my daughters is a GP, following on from a serious science background, and she gets livid about this. People also don't understand the 'herd effect' which protects them even if they opt themselves and their kids out - up to a point. Then, their intransigence risks everyone.

Sadly, few folk understand risk. There is nothing risk free in life. It's all about balance of risk and benefit.

'Nigel R' - yep, for sure. I used to start talks with schoolkids by saying " Welcome to my world, the world we made, the world of Engineers"

Edited By John Bisset on 19/07/2017 15:46:21

the probability that the landings were faked is zero.

they just did not have the technology to fake it and 500,000 people who were involved with the moon landings could not be kept quiet and the Russians would have screamed blue murder if it had been faked.

the worrying thing is that more and more people are starting to doubt science,are we heading back into another dark ages.

Tony B

Posted by David Mellor on 19/07/2017 16:09:07:

But the problem of CT is not really very big.

Unfortunately conspiracy theories can have extremely distressing and harmful results.

Parents and relatives of the 20 children and 6 adults massacred at Sandy Hook elementary school have been subjected to insults, harassment and threats by conspiricy theorists since it the tragedy. One Sandt Hook CT'er recently went to prison as the result of threats she made.

Posted by John Bisset on 19/07/2017 14:19:24:....... This is not a matter of opinion for disagreement in which 'everyone has an equally valid opinion', a common folly of modern times; this is simple hard fact, not open to 'opinions'.

John Bisset

That's quite an arrogant statement John. I wonder what your 'opinion' on 7/11 is?

Posted by Bill_B on 19/07/2017 17:04:25:
Posted by John Bisset on 19/07/2017 14:19:24:....... This is not a matter of opinion for disagreement in which 'everyone has an equally valid opinion', a common folly of modern times; this is simple hard fact, not open to 'opinions'.

John Bisset

That's quite an arrogant statement John. I wonder what your 'opinion' on 7/11 is?

Not arrogant at all Bill. A simple statement about verifiable facts versus opinions which I'd have thought is easily understandable.

Other than that it was a horrible event, none. I don't see the relevance of that question.

"That's quite an arrogant statement John. I wonder what your 'opinion' on 7/11 is?"

7/11 is a straw man.

John's statement says "things happened as they did, some people believe otherwise, to believe so does not change the fact of history".

Arrogant? Not really. It was not a statement declaring John's superiority or importance over his fellow man.

"Each to his own beliefs eh."

As far as those beliefs don't negatively affect others, people can believe what they like.

While I am at it, can I suggest we really should cease this thread. Clearly it is not likely to be useful for any possible model flying purposes, which is why we are all on here !

Regards,

John Bisset

Edited By John Bisset on 19/07/2017 17:41:09

Edited By John Bisset on 19/07/2017 17:41:53

It does seem to have become a little off-track.

I think irrespective of your personal belief of the did they / didn't they? - the technological advances made to make an attempt on the moon have served mankind well. The advances in computing power, understanding of gyro stabilisation, advanced flight control systems and better materials have all helped (perhaps not directly) shape our lives and hobby into the form it is today. I bow (ok more of a nod) to the engineers and scientists that made this happen along with the vast sums of money poured into the projects for Research and Development. We as the human race are explorers and inventors - our time in space is not over - we just need to make it cheaper, now that sounds like the ARTF market?

Just a thought...

Rob

Posted by Nigel R on 19/07/2017 17:39:50:

"That's quite an arrogant statement John. I wonder what your 'opinion' on 7/11 is?"

7/11 is a straw man.

John's statement says "things happened as they did, some people believe otherwise, to believe so does not change the fact of history".

Arrogant? Not really. It was not a statement declaring John's superiority or importance over his fellow man.

"Each to his own beliefs eh."

As far as those beliefs don't negatively affect others, people can believe what they like.

There's numerous ways of negatively affecting others. wink

Did anybody try tasting the moon rock they brought back to check the theory?

As far as closing a thread because it has little to do with model flying...you'd better close the chit-chat section as well! As I understand it, this is a forum for model flyers but we are free to discuss other aviation (even distantly) related topics and even such irrelevances as music to model by!

This is a general chat thread John. I thank Martin for raising the OP as I have found it generally amusing and I have learnt a lot too. We can all remember where we were during the moon landings - or at least those who were alive!

All opinions are valid however bizarre or even unpalatable. They are just opinions regardless of how overwhelming the evidence to the contary. There will always be people with bizarre ideas or at least ideas very different to your own. Don't rise to the bate. Conversely consensus is no guarantee that a belief is correct. A long time ago you could be burned at the stake if you said the earth travelled round the sun. Also, a laughing stock for believing the earth wasn't flat ( the consensus at the time). We may laugh at such ignorance and nievety? But what about global warming? There is masses of data, impressive computer modelling which is backed up by accurate measurements throughout the globe, which all point to the simple fact that the earth is heating up. So after many thousands of computations, the evidence is that it is man's activity and greenhouse gas output that is causing this heating. But, in purely scientific terms it is a hypothesise not fact, regardless of the consensus, and a consensus held by whome? The inconvenient truth, to misquote Al Gore, is that the many of the strident proponents of 'the fact' of this hypothesis are economists, politicians, and 'scientists' (i.e. very clever PhD people) however, not climatologists. I am quite happy to go along with this hypothesis but I have an open mind.

When I was at school I learnt that physicists didn't know if light travels in waves or pulses, pretty basic stuff!(apparently it depends on how you measure it) They still don't I believe. I recently read that physicists found that they can transmit light pulses faster than light itself. Einstein could be rolling in his grave as I speak. There is no such thing as absolute fact as 'facts' can be revised as the evidence changes. This doesn't matter, what does matter is that we are all tolerant to other peoples opinions. QED

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/07/2017 19:05:38