quality screwdrivers?

Phil 9

One thing I have been lacking for a while is a descent set of screwdrivers. I tried Halfords today but nothing suitable for modeling in stock

as what they had seemed to large. I tried a snap-on set but they were very disappointing but it is possible they may have been counterfeit

Advert

yes Steve smaller ones for modelling is what I'm after. Where I can I now change the screws and bolts to hex head. slot head screws don't seem to be a problem. but cross head screws can be a problem especially if I have used Loctite . they seem to round off easily. a correctly fitting screwdriver can help

Philips and Posidrive (and others!) have differing angles, and can easily be damaged and rounded out by the wrong type, or the wrong size of the right type!

There are pound shop ones that are brilliant and there are pound shop ones that are total rubbish. In the mid to larger sizes the ones I use are black handled with red (flat) or blue (cross). I grind the flats to suit the sizes better.

The smaller ones I have found good have black and yellow handles with spin ends.

A size O ( zero) Posidrive is very useful for all the screws like servo screws etc. Just over a pound for Draper brand at Toolstation ( also from Robert Dyas but much dearer for the same brand )

Whatever you do don't buy a set of screwdrivers all looking the same - much easier to have different colours and handle shapes for each size. So much easier to find the right tool amongst all the other items on the bench or in the toolbox when you know what the handle looks like.

Posted by kc on 10/09/2017 17:01:27:

Whatever you do don't buy a set of screwdrivers all looking the same - much easier to have different colours and handle shapes for each size. So much easier to find the right tool amongst all the other items on the bench or in the toolbox when you know what the handle looks like.

Which is why mine have differing shrink wrap on the upper shafts.

Posted by ken anderson. on 10/09/2017 14:23:01:

at a risk of getting shot to bits on the forum here.....I have a set from the pound shop's which I've used for years...for small model applications they are ideal...and if they get abused ...another set is £1.what more could you ask for.

ken Anderson...ne..1...pound shop dept.

I also bought a cheap as chips set at my local Inexcess and had done me proud for at least 3 years!

It's a small (about 4 inch ) detail well padded driver with about 30 slot in ends from hex to star on to Phillips to flat head, it's my go to driver when installing servos, horns etc.

Really doesn't have to be expensive to be reliable these days.