Autumn here...who's been flying ?

I'm not flying. The workshop is such a mess that I am charging models in the kitchen. That is a practice on borrowed time. I have now lost the lights (workshop), earth leak somewhere, and I nearly broke my neck tripping over a big hydraulic jack left on the floor because I can't put it away under a bench..

In between all the other jobs, I reckon I will need about three days to reorganise, tidy, declutter, as it's about a decade since it did it properly.

Advert

keiths jet 3.jpgkeiths jet 2.jpgSouth Wales Radio Control Society. Sunday morning. 8 October. Keiths new jet.keiths jet 1.jpg

Brown trousers first flight! Right leg stuck up! Incredible flying by the chief test pilot Jeremy (or was it luck!) as it touched the runway. Leg popped down, lifted the wing and it locked. Phew!!

Edited By Philflyer on 10/10/2017 16:00:40

Posted by john stones 1 on 10/10/2017 13:01:41:

Don't disagree, but you could have p.m'd, we all drop clangers now n again. Lots of flying takes place in public places, this forum has loads of talk of crashing/lost control/had nowt/is my radio iffy/i had a flyaway/did you set your failsafe etc etc etc ? Good publicity ? or is it o.k as long as not fpv ?

I fly fpv both fixed wing and multi rotor, I sit down and my spotter stands behind me, I also set my failsafe. As for crashing I do everything to avoid it but that would be an accident not a deliberate action.

Over 40 years of rc and only one iffy radio it did cause a crash admitted, but as I range check regularly i spotted further problems with the replaced tx before I had another.

Posted by john stones 1 on 10/10/2017 23:01:17:

Yep i do question why m/r fpv posts receive little tolerance (in my opinion) yet stuff that go's out public on other disciplines gets little criticism. quote away.

I suspect that people may be sensitive due to much negative press coverage - such as airprox reports and snooping which can reflect badly on the hobby as a whole. Because it could appear that clearly defined laws are not being adhered to, it's reasonable to clarify that spotters were simply not shown in the picture, which I'm sure would have been the case at a well run club even if in my opinion, they should have been closer. It might also assist less knowledgeable readers to comply with the law of the land.

I do recall some extensive criticism in this forum a few years ago when a group of fixed wing flyers posted videos of apparently irresponsible flying in a public place. Perhaps removal of the (misleading) photo would have been an option but at least it gives the viewer a chance to assess that the spotters could have been out of shot but within earshot.

Woke up this morning expecting gales. Sun and not a drop of wind. The archetypal calm before the storm. Went down the park PDQ with my Mini Wot4 and emptied a couple of lipos before the wind picked up. Slowly but surely getting the as3x system, DR etc all dialed in. Latest mod is a throttle curve to give more rpm quicker in the lower half of the throttle stick range - the model has a tendency to drop on what should be a "cruising" stick position so I spend most of the flight between 2/3 and full- hopefully this will help and allow more fine tuning of throttle....

Lovely day's flying on Sunday, possibly one of the best this year. Quite mild with broken sunshine and a constant SW breeze of about 12-15 mph. Had four flights with my H9 P47, half a dozen flights with the little Seagull Sea Eagle (which loves a breeze) and my friend handed me the tranny for a few circuits on his Blackhorse Westland Wivern (Saito Petrol) for ten minutes or so.

My friend also had his BT Mk XIX Spitfire over as well, but recently fitted with an Eagle Tree stabiliser that worked very well indeed, particularly through the slight ground turbulence on landing approach.

Nice weather, a fair turnout of other scale and sport models, good flying and excellent company - it doesn't get much better than that yes

There does not seem to be much activity on this thread for a little while now, which suggests that most if not all model flyers are grounded.

In my case the only flying I have seen is by birds, although the aircraft out of BAE can be heard, if seldom seen.

A fortnight ago as the remanents Ophelia were approaching, i was grounded any way, as we had visitors, for the week-end. As we strolled along the Green along the waterfront, I pointed out several hundred geese approaching. Wow was the response, we never see so many in our area of Yorkshire, just a few dozen at most. I then suggested that when the weather was right, flight after flight would pass over. Not more than a minute later, the next wave came into view. Then a little later, yet more and more. Wow, my friend said pointing out in excitement the thousands of birds. I was asked what type are they. I confidently replied the first 3 or 4 flight were Canada Geese, then came some Pink Footed, the RSPB reckon that a quarter of a million will pass through during this Autumn period. Of course I had no idea, although I also am staggered by the sheer numbers.

Just a week later storm Brian arrived, in this case the wind was blowing hard from apparently the East. I sat in our lounge, looking out. The Gulls which abound around here, just a hundred meters or so from the coast, seemed to be dynamically soaring between the houses, low down, taking back and forth. there was possibly between 50 to as many as a 100, just filling the space between the two rows of houses. Normally I do see the gulls either tacking along roof lines, or circling much higher. I am convinced we have our own gull that that swoops between houses, low across the gardens at some speed.

A few days later I witnessed what appeared to be a couple of hundred Crows fling as a group chasing all other birds and even other crows out of a smallish area, swooping down, then reforming as the milled about. The mistake seemed to have picked on a gull. As just a minute or two later a massed formation of Gulls flew into view, and can only be described as went for them as a massed formation, until the sky was cleared except for the odd gull.

Yet as for my own flying, nothing. Seems there is nothing to do except every day chores.

Erflog,

That observation of crows versus seagulls, and co-operative flying is intriguing. I have thought a few times that seagulls in particular seem to have a clear flock or group operation at times - as do crows - though not usually in such an apparently tit-for-tat self defence style. Crows and seagulls do quite often face off individually.

Alternating wind and rain spells are inhibiting both model and real flying here, just as I have got my old Wot-4 repaired after stupidly using an old Futaba transmitter which set up for helicopters to try to fly it !