Autumn here...who's been flying ?

Advert

Managed to get to the strip today, first time in over two weeks!!yes

Wasn't very windy (about 10 - 12mph) but VERY turbulent and nearly square crosswind to the strip.no

Probably why I was the only one there!!

The valley we fly from (South Downs, near Brighton) causes all sorts of problems when the wind direction is across the slopes.

Decided against doing the 'maiden' on my Sig 4 Star 20 - it's waited all summer (such as it was) so I'm not going to rush into it now.embarrassed

Hopefully back up there at the weekend to 'do the deed'

Kim

Decided to go flying today, if only to keep me off the internet (you know what that leads to) . Bit of a breeze today although to start with it was gusting 7-8mph, but by the fourth flight I was fighting a 13mph blast.

Took one of my gassers out given the weather.

p1020474.jpgThe 60cc Edge 540 fitted the bill nicely. Had a great time battling the conditions, but she handled everything thrown at her with ease. Lovely day after all. smile d

We had a good day in the Telford area yesterday(Tuesday) only very light wind , initially straight down the strip, but turned to the short strip in the afternoon, flew my trusty Extreme Flight Extra , my ME 262 and maidened my Scottish Aviation Bulldog, the Bulldog is from a plan pack from way back in the 80,s - its amazing what you can find hidden in the loft when looking for something else, but it has foam /obichi covered wings and the same for the decks on the fus. is electric powered, I was concerened about the non steering nose wheel, but she tracked straight with only slight touches on the rudder, took off and with a couple of clicks of trim she flew really well,after a few minutes of flying I called a landing and she just flew herself in for 3 point landing, a perfect finish to a perfect days flying,

Took Noah to the field to fly his Quad and more instruction on the Bixler. Kids seem to pick it up so easily!

I had a go with my Wot-4 XL with it's repaired engine and my quad and FPV. Watching the lads at DVMFC and Rich Harris at the Greenacres fly in has revived my interest! Still learning but getting there slowly!

So who has been out this nice Sunday afternoon.

Well me of coarse and what a nice time i had throwing my Guppy around the skies.

I only took the one model with me as i am on call so wanted something i could just throw in the back of the car.

And being a one piece model it is just a case of fuel and go . Great Fun.

Steve.

We had a club night on Saturday. It being the first Guy Fawkes night for me at my new club I had no idea what really to expect. Being a Saturday evening, the better half accompanied me. As I cautiously navigated the pitch black lanes, a sudden exclamation startled me. Is that where we are going? What are you talking about, I grumpily replied. There, can you not see. Again i replied, this road is pitch black, it is as twisty as a writhing snake. Then as i turned yet another corner, I could see in the far distance a dancing column of flame, beckoning. As I bumped down the dirt track, a whole 1/2 mile of it, four model aircraft could be seen dancing above the trees that protect the back of the site. All resplendent with multi-coloured lighting, flirting about creature seen in the depths of our deepest oceans.

At the field, the car park was pretty much full, something I had never seen before, even on the clubs fly in. Those who did not come this year, get it inked into your diary for next.

Walking into our Porta-Cabin club house, all the normal tables as well as some temporarily additions were piled high with food. What have you brought, my wife snapped. Er, I have brought two marinated chicken breasts that need barbecuing and two slices of a Apfel Kuchen I baked this afternoon. My wife suggested that she had a thought, it involved a Brewery and something about organisation. I spluttered, but I thought there would be a barbecue as they had at the fly in. Hmm, you know what thought did, was muttered. Just then I was saved, as one of the female partners of a club members, thrust a paper plate into my wives hand, explaining, just take what you want, over here there is a Chilli, a Hot Pot, more pork pies, sandwiches, bargies, samosas, Scotch Eggs,Quiche, 20 or so large cakes and so on. When we left, much later, the tables still groaned under the weight of uneaten food.

Outside, a fireworks display had started, much better than any of the recent organised events I have attended. Not quite, the London, or Tatton Park displays, although not far behind. The night was raw, we positioned ourselves midway between the roaring fire and the fireworks. Keeping toasty warm, whilst thoroughly entertained by the display. Now whilst this was going on, our aerial display team, flew. One large aircraft was equipped with pyrotechnics, which was awesome, in its own right. The only thing missing was the sound system, which had been drenched in a sudden downpour just prior to our arrival.

At this point my wife asked why do you not fly at night? I explained, it was just that i am to incompetent. This was a great setting to educate my wife that 10 or so models in not a lot, as wife after wife, out bid each other in the numbers and locations of their other halves models. See I finally said, I am not the only one who sleeps with their favourite model, it is quite normal. My wife was not quite as convinced that the typical model is about £20, the same general price as the dress that many wifes bring home from a typical shopping expedition. See I said, all of us are very prudent when we shop for ourselves.

As the embers died away in the fire, we said our good byes to the members that I had never seen previously, all those i do know, and the wives, that made such a fantastic event possible. Scampered and slid our way back to the lane. As we drove past the fracking protestors, I could not but think, get a life, it must be miserable in the cold and dark, on a night like this.

Oh, yes, I did go flying, on Sunday morning, Just me, in the freezing cold, from a northly wind. Just the one flight, as my hands turned a blue colour, all feeling being lost, I thought, it will soon be Christmas.

Edited By Erfolg on 06/11/2017 14:13:33