Silver soldering a cabane

Hello,

I,m about to join the components forming the cabane on a 1/4 scale SE5.I,ve come up with a jigging system to hold the piano wire in correct register but still really need to bind some of the joints with fine copper wire for accuracy. My silver soldering is usually pretty good.Question:will the use of the copper wire spoil the joint? I,m using Easiflo solder. Just a domestic butane torch,no oxy.

As this job has to be done with the cabane fixed to the fuselage,I,m quite apprehensive about a roaring blowlamp four inches from all that woodwork,so some wet towels will be in place as protection. It would really make my day if someone would tell me not to bother and that good binding and ordinary solder will be strong enough.

Advert

The handy straps look good but is there any sort of guide as to what gauges will go into which strap? However if you do silver solder the joint make arrangements to rapidly cool it. e.g. a water squirter , a small bowl of water you can drop the joint into or splash from it .Possibly ice cubes you can slap against it. This will save your temper and the wire's too. A mini blow torch / lamp will do the job but still needs care to keep anything out of direct line of the flame as intense heat will be projected a long way beyond the visible flame . Go on ask me how I know! Heat sinks can be clipped onto the wires to reduce heat absorption and risk of losing the temper. However I'll say what I always say 1) Practice 2 ) Experiment. Which amounts to the same thing I suppose.

As an alternative to the copper ferrules you could try wrapping tinned steel , copper or brass sheet around the joint for a neat strong finish using ordinary solder If tinned joint is tacked together then wrapped and soldered no need to worry about fitting ferrules prior to soldering.. Tinned sheet should go around at least 1 1/2 turns as strength is in the overlap. Either a good powerful soldering iron or gentle use of a small blow lamp will give plenty of heat without destroying the tempering using ordinary solder and an aggressive flux like Bakers Fluid. The kitchen blow lamps are very good for this sort of job and are cheap on the net. As Onetennor say beware of the invisible part of the flame !