Os max 55ax

Niall Reynolds

Advert

In these cases Cymaz, I usually just tap out .5mm larger

Usually on smaller motors, head bolts are 3mm, and you can just go up to 3.5mm

I have done repairs for the lads on sliencers, taking those bolts to 4mm.

Be careful, and keep everything clean as motor metal is very very soft and requires no heavy handed ops

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 03/01/2018 13:43:25:
Posted by John Lee on 03/01/2018 11:21:24:

I seem to recall from when the problem emerged in the 90's the root cause was that the Japanese authorities banned the hard chroming process on environmental grounds & OS were forced to adopt a less reliable Nikasil plating. The Chinese clone manufacturers were not so restricted & so continued with chrome.

Laser used to use chrome but it was possible to wear though it after about 20 years so went to nikasil and have never looked back. The only way to ruin it is if a load of grit gets into the engine.

I think OS use a different plating technique though as the colour, finish, and material thickness arent the same as ours. Again though, OS's 4 strokes are fine but i dont know if they do anything to their liners.

As a side note, anyone with OS FX series engine should be able to repair them with an ASP piston a liner as the ASP was a clone of the FX. I have never tried it, but i believe it works fine on the 46fx

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 03/01/2018 13:44:31

On the OS FX - ASP compatibility yes they are a drop in replacement. Similarly the OS 55 carb works great on ASP 52/JBA etc and cures the problems associated with the OEM carb