back to flying after a long break

Jeff staines 1

Advert

Hi Jeff.

Welcome to the forum, a mind of info on here.

Try Sarik Hobbies, link

When Traplet stopped trading last year they bought all the plans etc, oodles on there plus other stuff. Others on here will probably come up with other outlets. I did much the same as you about a year back, I do wonder why I didn't do it earlier!! Enjoy being back with this fantastic hobby. Keith

Hi Jeff, DB sport and scale have a good selection of plans,plans with wood packs and kit;s. Tony Nijhous has a good range of WW2 types in his plans/packs with things like canopy 's and cowls available. And welcome.Cheers John.

Edited By J D 8 on 17/01/2018 18:13:11

You could consider the Mick Reeves models which we dont hear much about now but they still sell kits& parts.

Sarik have special section for Brian Taylor plans and parts which might be what you are looking for however they are not simple model. Might be better to make a quick sports model to get back into building and also flying.

My advice, after such a long lay off, is build a kit. Someone has made the job a bit easier.

And hundreds of hour workload warbirds, and many hundreds of pounds, are not the way to go. Can you build and finish it. Can you fly it, without breaking it.

A Wot 4 still flies well, don't break the bank, and when you break it, build another, or re-learn how to fix the bits.

Posted by Jeff staines 1 on 17/01/2018 16:00:58:

hi guys

plenty of time now just retired and wanting to go back to my youth [ when you built everything from plans -or maybe to odd kit ] so where can I get plans with the new laser cut ribs / formers etc for WW2 war birds any help would be appreciated as I am totally out of touch now jeff

How your flying?? Warbirds are not the easiest things to fly if your skills are very rusty

Can't beat Don's advice - particularly regarding the Wot4 - whichever version, they all fly well, but for strength you can't beat the one you build yourself. If you're effectively starting again from scratch, go the electric route, there will be some negative comments from the "dinoflyers" but once you get the hang of things you'll have no regrets.

If you did decide to go the artf route, the slightly smaller wooden Ripmax Wot4-E artf is a little cracker, much happier than the foamy one if it's a bit breezy

Hi guys thanks I am pleased with your responses I feel a bit guilty for not providing a better history of my modelling but did not want to prattle on - I do still fly 3-4 times a year [ just so I did not "loose it " ] a 20yr old design pattern ship with a OS140 and became very close to flying in masters in comps when in the GBRCAA and as for building - well everything in those days were plan or kit build - I am nearly finished a old design citabria aerobatic pro [ been in the loft for many yrs ] just to get back into building - so the only thing I will be researching hopefully will be detailing and painting - I was fortunate that a past friend used to spray my fuz whilst I did the solafilm so any advise on reading material for painting / detailing would be helpful again many thanks Jeff

Posted by Jeff staines 1 on 19/01/2018 19:44:15:

Hi guys thanks I am pleased with your responses I feel a bit guilty for not providing a better history of my modelling but did not want to prattle on - I do still fly 3-4 times a year [ just so I did not "loose it " ] a 20yr old design pattern ship with a OS140 and became very close to flying in masters in comps when in the GBRCAA and as for building - well everything in those days were plan or kit build - I am nearly finished a old design citabria aerobatic pro [ been in the loft for many yrs ] just to get back into building - so the only thing I will be researching hopefully will be detailing and painting - I was fortunate that a past friend used to spray my fuz whilst I did the solafilm so any advise on reading material for painting / detailing would be helpful again many thanks Jeff

Apologies for asking how your flying skills were..you are excellent by the sounds of it....crack on with whatever you wantblush

Thanks Don - will get one , and as for the flying cymaz one of the drawbacks with practicing for comps is the regimental way you need to practice [ that is you are always aware of the models attitude and what you need to fly next ] I also have a bucker jungmister bipe with a super tiggy 25 and have nearly lost twice just simply flying around it can very disorientated when at a distance the 2 wings and short fuz just blend into a flying cube so don't rate me too high - watching some of these guys on you tube flying 3D ............