Electric Cars.

Cuban8

Advert

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 17/02/2018 19:56:53:

True Brian. Long winter journeys are the exception these days, at least for me they are. I wonder if the heater works instantly? That would be a real bonus at this time of yearlaugh

Never mind work instantly, you can st the heating to come on with a timer or via an app on your phone, so the car is pre-warmed up before you even leave the house, if it's plugged into the charger then it doesn't even use the battery.

BTW in Canada it's very common for regular cars to have an electric heater in the engine so it's instantly warm, hotels have sockets in car parking spaces so you can make sure your car does't take an age to defreeze.

E- Pedal

On the Leaf the friction brakes and regenerative braking are linked together. The Leaf applies the regen braking first and then the friction brakes. In effect the friction brakes are used very little in comparison to an ice car and one of the minor benefits of Leaf ownership is you don't have to clean your alloys very often.

E- Pedal takes this a stage further on the 2018 Leaf. When you switch on the e-pedal basically the car will automatically apply the friction brakes when you take your foot off the accelerator. The car is also "aware" as to whether it is going up or down hill and of course its speed and calculates how much friction and regen braking to apply. So much so that it can hold itself stationary on a 30 degree slope. E - pedal as best as I can make out is really for driving in stop start traffic, what I seem to do most of these days...

I have been driving a Leaf now for 14 months and it is the best car I have ever had in 40 years of driving. I will never go back to an ICE. Electric vehicles are very much in their infancy and are by no means perfect but the future is very promising. I'm certainly looking forward to getting my hands on a 2018 Leaf!

idd

Posted by Denis Watkins on 18/02/2018 09:46:51:

They reckon the 7.5 hours charge at home Percy, as about £1.50 with the 7kw charger.

You know its difficult to pin down mileage due to road conditions and driving style, but they are most certainly economical, up to 235 mile range.

I made that £6.72 on my 12.79p tariff Denis. The Nissan site gives three examples of real world expected ranges, these are closer to 110-150 miles taking into account short and long distance mixed trips, night and winter driving etc. It's still about half the cost of the same usage in my Mondeo (30-55 mpg).

What I couldn't find were measurements for the boot space with rear seats down, and isn't that what's really important to us modellers?

Posted by Andrew767 on 17/02/2018 21:16:06:

Bob, an Outlander might be just the vehicle for you. Have a look at the Mitsubishi website.

Andrew........A happy PHEV owner!!

Andrew, that's certainly an interesting option when (if ever) I wear my Mondeo out. Especially if a 3 y.o. second hand car came with a dealer warranty on the battery.

I did the sums last year and bought a Toyota Prius PHEV, my second hybrid & first plug-in. It has totally lived up to expectations, most of my motoring is local but I usually do a weekly longer trip or two which requires the IC engine. The net result over the winter with the full use of the heater (a heat pump in the case which is also used to pre-warm the car via the remote) & seat heaters is:

unadjustednonraw_thumb_b22.jpg

This thread is making me laugh quite a lot. Its the same as the IC or electric planes. Its not about what is happening now, this year or even next. And ask yourself "Where is all the money being invested?" Oh, and let me point out Ikura, it is a LOT of money. Its in electric, be that the car manufacturers, storage equipment manufacturers, power plant manufacturers, governments (yes, they are paying for R&D and test beds etc).

(I don't have an electric vehicle the way) One petrol and one Diesel.

More numbers for those interested.

Servicing costs for a Leaf were I think £86 plus VAT, BUT we lease the Leaf and a 3 year servicing plan got worked into the overall "deal". This is the first time I have leased a car so whether or not I've done the right thing remains to be seen.

Over the past 14 months the Leaf has averaged 4.3 miles/Kwh. Currently with winter driving conditions we are doing about 3.7 miles/Kwh. So in winter I get about 110 miles on a full battery, in Summer maybe 130 ish.

My average speed is 16.7mph. Oh the joys of driving in South Manchester....

I mostly charge at Sainsburys when I do the shopping. they have two rapids and at the moment it is free! other supermarkets notably LIDL are also doing this. This won't last but hey while the sun shines make miles....

I can charge at home as a charging unit was in the deal.

Percy thanks for the tip off about the deal with OVO and Nissan I shall follow that up!

There is a lot of understandable concern about the ability of the "grid" to cope. One report says it is all going to end in melt down, another it will all be fine and there is nothing to worry about. The only point of agreement is that the grid is changing and it is going to be very different to what we have today. Batteries are going to play a big part, the performance of the humungous Tesla battery in Australia is a game changer.

Will hydrogen play a part as an energy storage, I think it could. Will hydrogen play a part in transport, I think it could but not for domestic vehicles.

As it stands at the moment EV's do not fit every lifestyle like an ICE can, unless you can afford a Tesla 100S. But the numbers are heading in the right direction, even in as little as 14 months.

HTH

idd