Electric Cars.

Cuban8

Our Mitsubishi PHEV charges from a 13A socket, from empty to full in 4 hours. This gets us 40 miles in the summer, easily enough for the other half's daily commute. We get a reduced rate through our energy supplier for charging at off peak times, and when she's at work the charger there is free. £45 petrol lasts 1600 miles, and it costs £1.75 to charge to full at home. Long trips aren't a problem, as we use the petrol generator then, and have stopped at services to charge to 90% in about 40 minutes from the fast chargers (some will cost, some don't). Enough time for a coffee and toilet break.

The PHEV has a huge boot, even more so with the back seats forward, goes like stink when you floor it, and even recharges the battery through kinetic energy recovery when breaking. We love it, and are sure that we'll replace it with another when the time comes, and no doubt mine will be electric too when I get around to changing mine.

It's the future.

40 miles range doesn't sound like a lot Andy, but to be honest would cover most of my dog walking / model flying / shopping journeys.

You then have the advantage of the Petrol Hybrid system which takes away all the worry of getting stuck. I agree that the PHEV is the most sensible way forward, but that is not what we are talking about here. We are talking about pure electrics, which is the long term planned future of cars.

Long term planned future. Where does that phrase come from. What cars we drive is driven by taxation, and the ability of government to enforce taxation, restrictions on the use of cars, and again the ability of authority to enforce it.

I see precious little planning, just polititions, giving mouthroom to sound bites.

Pure electric is a coming technology, but there can be no planning around what has not been invented. And I don't believe this thread is restrictive to pure electric vehicles.

Andy, does your car come into the plug in electric class?

Colleague acquired a BMW i3 (?) for work, greatly against mainstream viewpoint as our business sometimes demands quite long routes and by the time he's driven to work via school it has to be plugged in (charge point cost north of 2 grand) before it can safely go anywhere distant. Really fed up of the proselytising . Pulled up whilst on the phone, didn't want to switch neutrons off in case the handsfree crashed, finished call, got out, car ran through shop window.

Unfortunately, the car is repairable, as well as the Co-op's shopfront. Might use a lot of carbons to mend though.

Worth the £500 excess just for the silence.

BTC

Yes Percy, I did know about the heavy discounts that are currently available for charge point installation. I've no intention of going electric yet. I was just curious about the feasibility of having a fast charger at home as my instinct was that charging to 80% capacity in 30 minutes was not possible. It isn't and never will be, but as you say, most of the time it will be a quick topup to cover the few miles you've done.

I'd probably manage OK with a 13A plug in charger for the mileage I cover, but a 7kW charging point makes a lot of sense. Main problem is that with everyone getting home from work at around the same time, the 7kW's from every house on the street (in the country) is going to add up.

P.S. I've just become aware of "rapid chargers" and the different range of connectors that are available. I think I'll stick to model aeroplanes. Far simpler.

Just back from ASDA supermarket and am pleased to report that after what must be three years since they were installed, the four charging bays near the shop entrance have a clear sign saying that non- electric cars will be issued with a penalty if they're parked there. About time . The inconsiderate or plain bone idle, will have to park elsewhere now.

Posted by Andy Meade on 08/07/2019 11:33:09:

Our Mitsubishi PHEV charges from a 13A socket, from empty to full in 4 hours. This gets us 40 miles in the summer, easily enough for the other half's daily commute. We get a reduced rate through our energy supplier for charging at off peak times, and when she's at work the charger there is free. £45 petrol lasts 1600 miles, and it costs £1.75 to charge to full at home. Long trips aren't a problem, as we use the petrol generator then, and have stopped at services to charge to 90% in about 40 minutes from the fast chargers (some will cost, some don't). Enough time for a coffee and toilet break.

The PHEV has a huge boot, even more so with the back seats forward, goes like stink when you floor it, and even recharges the battery through kinetic energy recovery when breaking. We love it, and are sure that we'll replace it with another when the time comes, and no doubt mine will be electric too when I get around to changing mine.

It's the future.

Thats impressive Andy...40mls. Is yours the 2.4ltr version with the bigger battery?

Best i've ever managed is 30 in summer and around 25 in winter. Had mine for two years so it's the older 2.0 ltr generator . Regen saves on the brake pads too!!

Andrew

Posted by Wingman on 07/07/2019 21:52:22:

It's the range thing that always bothers me about electric cars.

I recently drove 450 miles which took me about 8 hours where I stopped once for fuel, twice for 'comfort' and once for 30 minutes for lunch. I travelled at 80 mph where possible.

I was wondering if anybody on here has done a similar sort of distance in an electric vehicle and, if so, would they like to share their journey details so I can get some sort of idea how that sort of range is covered electrically.

Have not done 450miles in my 30KW Leaf but that sort of distance would be no problem for a 60KW Niro/Kona with one possibly two fast recharges of 30 to 40 minutes.

Did S Manchester to Watford last year to visit the Harry Potter Studio Tour in the Leaf. Four adults, air conditioning on (very hot days) and two fast charges each way. About 360 miles in total with an overnight stop. Cost about £9 for the charges I seem to remember, but I did get lucky with a "free vend" at one pump!

The Leaf is a little light on range, we reckon a 40KWh battery is the way to go for us as that extra half hour or so of distance would neatly tie in with wanting to have a break from driving.

It is funny reading this thread though, in its early days 200 miles was seen as the minimum range, now its at least 300!!! Some people clearly have quite remarkable kidneys.

Joking aside it is important to really honestly analyse your journeys as to what you really do before buying a BEV. If you don't you could wind up spending an awful lot of money on a battery you don't really need. The charging situation is rapidly improving now and will get better. Better a 30 minute charge on that one long journey once a year than forking out another £5K on the car methinks.

idd

Posted by Wingman on 08/07/2019 18:43:42:

@DickW - thankyou that's exactly what I was asking for - looks like you can't take your family on holiday with an electric car yet a while - strictly for town puttering only.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Why are you taking anecdotal evidence from someone who does not drive an EV!!! ???

Please see my answer above.

If you are going on holiday you need to be very aware of what charging facilities there are at your destination. If your going to Scotland not a problem. Going to SW Wales forget the BEV and pack an ICE. Always remember Zap Map is your friend

idd

Percy

Quite agree about EVM's Youtube channel, tells it like it is warts and all!

Can't quite understand why some people have to be so negative all the time on this thread. We are starting to see some real innovation now in transport which ultimately will benefit them, the consumer. Will the answer be fuel cells, batteries, hydrogen, hybrids, robo taxies, scooters, ebikes, solar or nuclear? Don't know and don't really care so long as it is better than what has gone before and travelling becomes pleasurable again and not a chore.

idd

I understand the trend toward electric cars and here in Canada they are on the rise in popularity, that said it is only in the cities and here on the island that it is really taking off.

I have a large car - V6 - that gets approx 35miles per gallon hwy mileage, my daughter lives 1500 miles to the east of us and when we visit it is quite the road trip, I would not want to stop that many times to charge my car, it takes three days of steady driving as it is and about a third of that is through the Rocky Mountains not practical in that situation.. I don't know how cold it gets in Norway but temps drop into the -25c -35c range in Winnipeg in the winter and most -not all - car owners have an electric powered battery blanket installed along with an engine block heater so their battery has more cranking power on a cold morning, i'm wondering how temps in this range affect the batteries in fully electric cars? On the other hand here in the warmer winter climate of the west coast electric does well. Tesla has set up a lot of charging stations and their cars sell well here but they are not affordable for everyone.

The leaf does really well here as does the Chevy volt and of course the Toyotas and other imports, for me being limited to one car total electric is just not practical at the moment, so I guess i'm stuck with my 17 year old gas guzzler for a while yet, maybe when they fully develop the glass battery or some other form of energy retention it will change for me but at 71 i may not see it, who knows look at the transition from Ni-Cad to Li-Po happened very quickly, fascinating times ahead of us.

Edited By Tony Richardson on 08/07/2019 22:30:18

I read a BBC report the other day which described a forthcoming unmanned space mission to Saturn's large moon, Titan. Since there is an atmosphere, the exploring vehicle will be a rotorcraft - gravity there is less than here, and atmospheric pressure is greater, so ideal for flying. However, since the temperature is around -170C it will be interesting to find out what exotic power source they will use!

"i'm wondering how temps in this range affect the batteries in fully electric cars?"

Performance of lipos falls off a fairly sharp cliff at very low temperatures. Rapid increase in resistance and drop in usable capacity.

You have to heat the lipo first, before use. Up to around 10 deg C I believe, although anything over freezing gets most of the performance back. Once warm it should remain so whilst being used.

Not too dissimilar in practice, to the need for a block heater / lead acid heater as fitted for your ICE, I suppose.

Deejay, a hybrid petrol electric will do you, See post on the last page on the numbers for a Mitsubishi PHEV. Mind you might reconsider when you look up its price to buy, speed of development of the technology.

But not a problem to tow substantial loads. You just use a pit more petrol when towing.

Ceejay, the other day a Tesla Model X steamed past me at a high (illegal) rate of knots on the motorway towing a large trailer tent, so it can be done. We should remember that automotive innovations that initially appear in high-end cars find their way down the chain fairly rapidly.

We are in the very early stages of alternatively fuelled vehicles, the Leaf only appeared about 10 years ago, and the cars being launched now have 2 or 3 times the range, better performance, etc. The motor industry are investing massively. It will be very interesting to see how things develop over the next few years. My present ic car's warranty runs for another 4 years, and when that expires I'll decide whether it was my last ic powered car. Just hope it's worth something by then!

yep had a search and there aint many yet with any towing capability unless you have a spare 77k plus for the tesla x

83 k plus for a range rover the Mitsubishi is "cheaper" at around 40k so will be a while before I can give up my trusty VW sharan with it 2.2 tonne towing capacity 550 mile range and 35 mpg towing, 700 range and 50 mpg without

I do quite like the new smart electric for commuting so you never know the wifes Nissan micra may be the first to go!!

cp