Hitec anyone else thinking of jumping ship

geoff dales

After having that hitec will not be releasing the 16 channel radio that was under development I’m seriously thinking of a change of brand. On some models I could certainly do with more channels to make life easier but it now won’t be happening. Thinking of trying the dark side FrSky Horus 10 or 12 thoughts and experiences please

Advert

Lots of opinions coming your way and I imagine all very valid, I will share mine.

I switched from another brand 2 1/2 years ago to FrSky and OpenTx.

For me it was a revelation using OpenTx, a learning curve to begin with but the rewards in terms what I can now ask my equipment to do is fantastic. The use of Telemetry data, mixing, voice alerts, and pretty much unlimited programming functionality is to me sublime.

The cost of equipment and peripherals is such great value and so feature rich it I don't see any other brands coming close as a whole package.

I use an X9D+ Taranis with upgraded Hall Sensor Gimbals and will soon be treating myself to the Horus X10.

I fly mostly electric from foamies through to a 3.7m moulded F3J and most types in between including FPV stuff and a quad.

The OpenTx community is very friendly and helpful and T9Hobbysport are a great UK agent for FrSky.

A bit evangelical but I wish I'd converted earlier. Hope this helps but enjoy whatever you choose.

Hi Geoff,

A bit beyond my technical knowledge re the module question but I'm sure a bit of internet mining will help. Maybe post the question into the FrSky thread to see if anybody has any direct experience.

When I moved from Spektrum I only swapped a couple of oft used models to FrSky but then as new models joined the fleet they started life with FrSky. I still fly some of my older, but loved, models using a 1st Gen DX8 which I've never had a problem with and will continue to do so.

Interesting how now, the recommendations are not "Spektrum". Two years ago, most would have said "Spektrum....", not one comment above now saying thus.

They (Horizon Hobby Europe) have really done massive commercial damage.

I'd probably say Frysky, as well. Not got one, but it seems a reliable system and know of many happy users. If I was looking for a new radio, I would probably get a Horus.

Posted by Percy Verance on 24/01/2018 18:49:20:

I'd say you'd be right there Devcon. It was the Multiplex 3030 series by the way, back in the early 90's.....

John, a careful study of the technical specs of the gear will reveal who was actually left blowing in the wind, and who is actually just catching up. 4096 step resolution, new tech? Nope. Introduced on the Mpx Royal 15+ years ago.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 24/01/2018 19:04:40

No claim as to who introduced it Percy, bit of Bob Dylan is all.note

Posted by Percy Verance on 24/01/2018 18:32:31:

It might surprise some folk to discover that Open Tx was around 25+ years ago, but oddly most seemed to avoid the particular brand of radio offering it it back then........ Funny how times change.

It would surprise me greatly. OpenTX requires a transmitter with a computer in it and I doubt there were any/many around in the early 1990s that were within most peoples price bracket. Around that time I had a new fileserver, with just 20Mb of memory!

Secondly OpenTX is a developmental control system, and even if it was around 25 years ago, it would bear no relation to the present version of OpenTX.

No doubt Mike Blandford will be able to give some actual timelines, as he has done a considerable amount of work in developing OpenTX.

Dismayed by Multiplex’s pricing policy I went to 24GHz with Hitec Aurora, liking the clever way of getting LiPo voltage onto the Tx screen for free. But development stopped and the only sound was a beep. And Hitec decided not to provide a measure of signal strength - crazy.

So back to the Mpx Evo with a Jeti module, v nice, just waiting for Jeti’s Tx to be announced - How Much?!!!

Found a home with Frsky, it even had similarities to Mpx.