Super tigre

Niall Reynolds

Evening guys,

I have just been given 2 super tigre 45 from a friend. They are both running well as I tested em on the bench. Has anybody any details on them or are they any good.

What models could I put them in???

I now have quite the collection of engines

2 super tigre 4, osla40, 2 os 55ax, Irvine 46 and a 53, asp fs70ar, Asp fs52ar.

But only 3 aircraft so I'm looking for airframes for the rest.😁😁😁

Advert

Super-Tigres are excellent engines. I've still got quite a few hauling models around. They run best on straight fuel (NO nitro), though they can be made to run on nitro if you put some shims under the head, to reduce the compression.

Looking at the images of yours, someone has been fiddling with the carburettors! The fuel inlet pipe should point towards the front mounting bolt hole for best transition. Rotating the spray bar affects the mid range mixture, and hence the transition between idle and full chat.

They use long reach plugs, and although OS8 and Enya 5 will fit, they will be recessed into the head, and may not give the best results. Dave Wilshere at Motors and Rotors is your man to advise on what is currently available for them. (I'm still using up my dwindling stock of Super-Tigre plugs...!)

I've got an S40 that's been in a Morley Bell 47 helicopter for over 30 years now, and never needed removing...!

--

Pete

Back in the eighties I used a ST61XRE, best engine ever until it got smashed. Now have two more. Original Italian sand cast are the ones to go for. I always used straight fuel back then but these two seem to like lots of nitro; it had not occurred to me that the short reach OS 8`s could be the reason, although I would have previously used Enya 3`s to get correct running on a pipe.

Ripmax Bullet springs to mind as the ideal model for your 45`s.

Posted by Niall Reynolds on 27/01/2018 17:50:21:
Thanks guys for all the info. I assume I can adjust the carb to allow the inlet to be in the position you mention Pete??
I ran em today on nitro and they seemed fine.

I see John P has already advised on how to adjust the spray-bar. You may find that the previous owner has fitted shims under the head to allow them to run on nitro. In any event, you shouldn't have a problem with low amounts of nitro (5%) as others have indicated. But its not necessary, straight fuel is cheaper, and nitro can turn to nitric acid if left in an engine for any length of time. This doesn't do the bearings any good!

If you want to run nitro, make sure the engine (any engine, not just STs!) is run dry at the end of your flying session. The best way to do this is set a fast tickover and pull the fuel line off. Once the engine has stopped, flick start it until there is no sign of it firing. Finally, put a few drops of oil down the intake, and flick it over a few more times to let it circulate. Treated this way engines last for ever!

--

Pete

Posted by Percy Verance on 28/01/2018 08:31:30:
Once the poison pen letter arrived I chose to sell all my ST's.........

I feel a little sorry for the author - I originally knew him from my Watford Wayfarer days in the mid 70s and he was a knowledgeable and enthusiastic club member as well as an importer and dealer. Admittedly, he was never shy about expressing his opinions and he could never get his head round was why anyone would want to do their own repairs when he offered a free fitting service for any spare parts - a policy that continued (at least?) until his retirement.

Like another well known manufacturer, he made (strong) recommendations on which fuels to use and was frustrated when people reported problems while insisting on using fuels that he specifically warned against.

Of course, there's no excuse for outright rudeness but while I never received one of his (in)famous letters, so I can't really comment on their content, I suspect that these frustrations may have coloured their content somewhat.

I do know that while working locally, I popped into the Kings Langley unit a few times towards the end of his working life for some ST parts and after the customary query about why I didn't want to take advantage of his free fitting services, spent the rest of a pleasant lunchtime chatting about all matters aeronautical.

Good quality engines with excellent materials. Some years agony my son had aerobatic model fitted with an ageing ST 45 fitted with tuned pipe. It was well used ,had quite bit of play in the big end but comp and bearings were good. We tried everything we could to blow the engine all summer . When we retired the model the ST was still going strong! 

The very early ST60 ABC engine was a great engine. Very light with loads of torque .

Re poison pen letter. I came across this "gentleman" at Sandown  Symposium. I had ordered a new blue anodised head for a series X 45 rear exhaust and arranged to collect it at Sandown. Said gentleman when approached and asked for the order walked to the other end of the long counter and proceeded to throw the head along the counter,adding " why you want a head for one of those I don't know" . As the head whizzed passed me and into the crowd I replied " I don't want that one" and walked away. His son did  appologise for his dads behaviour .His attitude did nothing for ST reputation in the UK.

PS did anyone find a ST cyl head on the floor at San down mid 1980s?smiley​

I got to know Mick very well during my years working in London. Underneath that gruff exterior was a heart of gold, and a more loyal friend it would have been difficult to ask for. His knowledge of model engines was second to none.

However, having heard him talking to customers, I can well understand why many of them didn't get on with him! I often used to help him out when Sandown was approaching, and always tried to get to the 'phone first, when it rang! The conversations often went like this:

Customer: "That's not Mick!"

"No, its Pete!"

"Thank the Good Lord!", followed by a long question about engines!

Me: " I'll happily answer questions about radio gear, but if its engines, you really need to speak to Mick!"

Customer: "NOOOO! Can you ask him for me?"

And so it went on....

Poor Mick could never understand why people got so upset with him! The trick appeared to be to be just as rude back to him! All those who tried that approach got on very well with him.

He was a character and a half, and I miss him greatly.

--

Pete

Posted by Percy Verance on 28/01/2018 12:16:07:

ED

There's no denying he knew his stuff. That much was never in question, but the rudeness was cutting at times.

Now I think about it, I was actually on the receiving end of two of the said letters..... Maybe they were his idea of a Mick take..... 

I can only assume the day his school did manners and people skills he bunked off smiley​

Posted by Percy Verance on 28/01/2018 12:16:07:

I received a fair old chewing for using the wrong fuel when I most certainly hadn't!.........secret

I think that was the subject of most people's poison-pen letters. It certainly was with mine! It didn't help that as far as I can recall the instructions from Super Tigre themselves and from Mick had conflicting advice regarding fuel. Maybe I had used the "wrong" fuel, but there was no need for him to be quite so rude about it.

He was also unbelievably sarcastic when I phoned to check the arrangements for returning the engine to him and for payment. Maybe he thought he was being funny, but I very nearly hung-up the phone on him. He was certainly a "character" and undoubtedly very knowledgable, but I can't help thinking that ST engines did well in the UK despite, rather than because of him.

Posted by Peter Christy on 28/01/2018 15:42:07:

Just to get back to the OPs engines for a moment: Niall, I notice your engine(s) have the older "wire" type needle valve. These are very scarce, so be careful not to break them!

--

Pete

Even the newer type are now unavailable .I recently tried to track one down for a 90 without success. I luckily found a unit buried in a spares box. The last two I have dealt with had SC carbs fitted.

Wilco: That's good news! I know Mick would make them for customers on request, and I still have a couple of engines using those carbs!

Niall: Don't worry! Mick passed away a while ago! The only way he'll be able to send you one is via a ouija board! And if he does, refer him to me!

wink

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 28/01/2018 19:17:58