Lidl Sander

Andy48

Posted by Don Fry on 25/10/2018 16:24:32:

Tony, I don't think anyone does finer than IRO 240 grit. These sort of machines are not REALY degined for jobs at the fine grades you quote. In old fahioned trades, they used to use a buffing wheel, with cutting pastes, for fine finishes, but not much use in this hobby.

Ah, that would explain why I can't find fine-grit anywhere... Pity, since this machine runs smoothly enough to be very handy for finishing with fine grit discs - not just r/c models but other things in wood, plastic.

rgds Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I do not know how others have found the sander. In my case absolutely great.

I have been using it again today, making those 1/8 ply bulkheads. In the case of true ply to thick to cut using a knife and get a accurate good finish. Yet cut slightly oversize the sander sands to the line, dead straight, great finish. Even better on disc or semi-circles, in that it would take me an eternity using a hand block.

I have used it so much, it will be coming to the time when I need to change a disc. I just do not know what to stick the discs on with, that can be removed later.

• 1 month later...

Loose nut? Pick up the machine and turn over. Voila the nut drops out. Run some glue of choiceon it Then usibg forceps /long nosed pliers put back in place and fit the bolt and screw it tight. Allow to dry. Simples.LLoyds ,Boots etc sell plastic forceps cheaply.Also useful for other modelling jobs too..P.S. if you know any district nurses they may let you have some used ones. Local chemists may have them too. As I always say ASK They can only say yes or no.

Posted by onetenor on 21/01/2019 05:43:10:

Loose nut? Pick up the machine and turn over. Voila the nut drops out...

Nope, not in my case! I found the advice on this thread valuable, had to do exactly the same as others have found - teeny bit of dismantling, remove nut, replace as a captive nut held in by epoxy. It's a nice tool, good value, very happy with it now the silly loose-nut design error is fixed.

rgds Tony

Second that. Tremendously useful bit of kit. The table is not marked as accurately as it could be but that is easily fixed.

My ply formers are now actually square at the edges, and fit. Bits of thick wood for making deckings or cowls, have the right angle to stick together properly. My spliced strip wood now looks properly spliced.

A million other uses, I'm sure.

I had picked up previously that the table angle guage was inaccurate. I lived with this by using an adjustable set square.

Noting Nigel's comment that the table gauge is easily fixed, I went ahead and examined how it could be done.

It just took a carefully handled scalpel, to ease under the stuck on label which is heavy gauge foil, remove by sliding along carefully. Set the table to 90 degrees using engineers set square. Position the gauge to the zero-zero, Stick back in. The hardest part then was cutting through the excess foil with a Stanley knife.

Absolutely correct in the view that the sander is incredibly useful and extremely good value. I would put it on par with my Dremel with a chuck, followed by my Mini Tool drill (Aldi) which I permanently have the flexible drive with the sanding drum inserted.

I am making a ply former at present, which has made full use of these bits of kit. I reflected that my productivity and quality of product has increased on this job somewhere in the region of 600%. What is now a 30 minute job, would have taken me up to 3 hours using knifes, sand paper and hand drill.

I am now waiting for Lidl or Aldi to produce a small circular saw table like the Proxon, at a price I can justify the purchase.

Then there is the 3D printer, come on Lidl and Aldi, we the masses need the them. crying 2

These tools are just so useful, I could almost produce a quality model using them

Edited By Erfolg on 22/01/2019 12:11:05

Edited By Erfolg on 22/01/2019 12:11:41

I find the sander very useful for making properly angled triangular stock when reinforcing firewalls or wing captive nut supports (when I can work out which way to sand the angles!). It is a very useful tool for making close fitting parts actually close fitting.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...