Lidl Sander

Andy48

Hi Mal, it makes a change for some other country to be ripping people off. A friend of mine went out to the States some years ago. He is in to shooting sports etc,etc. He took with him a British catalogue produced by the importers of this shooting gear and compared it to the American edition of the same catalogue. Guess what??? The British catalogue was exactly the same, with the same item numbers, but they had changed the Dollar sign for the Sterling sign. Needless to say, he bought his goods from the Yanksm, and used them out there so no import tax to pay on used items.

We are still "Rip off Britain".

That does not follow. Any US item imported into the UK is subject to VAT. In the US, tax is only added at the checkout and is never shown on catalogues or in stores. Frankly having travelled to the US a number of times in recent years, prices over there are not much different to the UK. They seem cheaper until one gets to the checkout and finds a sizeable lump has been added in tax.

Posted by Handyman on 05/02/2018 13:28:22:

Just as a follow up, someone has already put one of these 29.99 sanders up on ebay. Have a look at item number

183055279392. They are asking £53.90 for the same item as the one being sold in Lidl's. What a rip off!!

You won't get the three year warranty either.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 05/02/2018 13:32:44:

$ price + Import duty +20 VAT + the importer's/distributer profit + retail margin = UK £ price. $s for £s doesn't sound too far off the mark.

Also don't forget the US catalogue probably showed price before US tax too, though knowing a little about the US there is probably no tax on shooting equipment!

Edited By Andy48 on 05/02/2018 13:34:58

Posted by MaL on 05/02/2018 13:05:57:

Here is something for those of you still living in the UK...LIDL France has the sander on sale for €39.99.. thats about £5 more expensive than the price in the UK....Rip off Britain huhwink

It varies: on the whole prices in Lidl France are not dissimilar from those here, like many of the goods. Lidl's good value (by Brit standards) Baturrico wine from Catalonia is £4.95 here - in the French branch of Lidl I visit most often, it's under 3 Euros, excellent value. It's certainly "rip off" Britain in terms of booze! I buy a litre of J&B whisky there for two-thirds the UK price, and I only ever visited one country where booze was more expensive than here - Finland.

Posted by Handyman on 05/02/2018 13:14:19:

Hi Mal, it makes a change for some other country to be ripping people off. A friend of mine went out to the States some years ago. He is in to shooting sports etc,etc. He took with him a British catalogue produced by the importers of this shooting gear and compared it to the American edition of the same catalogue. Guess what??? The British catalogue was exactly the same, with the same item numbers, but they had changed the Dollar sign for the Sterling sign. Needless to say, he bought his goods from the Yanksm, and used them out there so no import tax to pay on used items.

We are still "Rip off Britain".

Pretty sure VAT would still have been due had the UK customs been aware that the item had been bought in the US....used or not....your friend is guilty of smuggling!surprise

Posted by Eamonn Fahey on 02/02/2018 16:41:57:
Posted by Martyn K on 02/02/2018 15:04:56:

Do you know what diameter Sanding disk is used?

Martyn, the sander was available in Ireland from yesterday. The diameter of the disc is 125mm. There are 6 discs included - 2 X 80; 2 X 150 & 2 X 240 grit. They did not have any spare discs available but according to the instructions, they are available to order (no price).

Eamonn.

Thanks.. That is a decent size..

I bought a Clarks 4" belt/6" disc sander years ago having tried a quality belt sander previously. The Clarks is certainly not of high quality since the horizontal belt stops with the slightest pressure and the disc table wobbles all over the place, the point being, ensure that the table is rigid before you part with your cash. Having said that, it is still a very useful tool to have. Looking back, I should have bought a stand alone 9" disc instead.

I got one too; not used it yet, initial impression is that it seems more than adequate for our hobby - aileron bevelling now should be much easier, I used to do this by hand with a home made tilting shooting board.

As someone said earlier in the thread, the calibrations on the table tilt are way off - mine are out by about 2 degrees, but as long as you know that can be allowed for.

About a dozen out on display in the Ossett store this morning, but also some of last week's offers available too.

Next week there's a robot vacuum cleaner coming up... hm... another workshop aid??

Simon

Posted by Simon Feather on 08/02/2018 09:46:32:

I got one too; not used it yet, initial impression is that it seems more than adequate for our hobby - aileron bevelling now should be much easier, I used to do this by hand with a home made tilting shooting board.

As someone said earlier in the thread, the calibrations on the table tilt are way off - mine are out by about 2 degrees, but as long as you know that can be allowed for.

About a dozen out on display in the Ossett store this morning, but also some of last week's offers available too.

Next week there's a robot vacuum cleaner coming up... hm... another workshop aid??

Simon

Simon,

Hadn’t got as far as checking the table angles but a set of “set squares” from kids stationers and that will take care of the core angles. I used a square to set the table initially anyway, never too sure about the ‘calibrations’ on any tool. But for £29.99 it’s a bargain.

S

Got one ! I got up early (for me) and walked down to the shop, I could have had a lay in as there was about 10 on the shelf. Didn't bother with the pliers as they were naff but came away with some tubes of silicone sealant. Had a quick look at it, I did notice the table has a wobble even if the nuts are tight when you put weight on it. Will have to remember this when setting it up. It will be fine for balsa and 3mm ply which doesn't justify spending loads of money.

I like the clamp, much quicker than screwing it to a bench which is what I was expecting. Nice and quiet too. I have been thinking of lots of new uses for it, so it won't be living in it's box looking for a home. Thanks for the heads up on this one as I have considered getting one in the past and I think it will be hobby money well spent.