Lidl Sander

Andy48

What a sucker...

Just got one from the Exeter Wonsford store, it was the £50.00 extra on food and stuff that I spent.

They must calculate which "Special Buy" stuff brings in the most incremental/spontaneous spend from people like me.

Very happy with the sander, looking forward to a little fillet steak tonight...

Edited By Devcon1 on 08/02/2018 12:11:31

Edited By Devcon1 on 08/02/2018 12:11:47

Check your sander, I bought one this morning and after getting home I found that when I unbolted the table to put on a sanding disc the captive nut disappeared into the body, which meant a trip back to Lidl to get a replacement. I checked the replacement sitting in the car park just to make sure that the fault was just a one off, but worth checking!

How to check a square is actually square:

• take a piece of wood or whatever with one straight edge - you can even use the bench if you like - put the square against it and scribe a line;
  • now reverse the square, put it up against the first line and scribe another line. If it's square, the two lines will be superimposed; if not, you will get an obvious V shape;
  • make sure you use the same edges of the blade, just in case the sides of the blade are not parallel.

Hopefully this picture illustrates:

checking_squares.jpg

There were about half a dozen in the Ripley Lidl at 11 this morning. I'm pleased they aren't either too big or too heavy and fit in a normal canvas shopping bag It nearly broke my arms carrying my Aldi scroll saw to the bus a few weeks ago.

Very neat and works well. I checked around to see what else is on the market and really, apart from this there isn't an equivalent at anywhere near this price. It's certainly not suitable for heavy duty woodwork (which many of the much more expensive ones are) but for model building when most of the sanding will be of relatively small balsa parts it's ideal. The guide on mine is quite accurate but the table angle scale is about 1.5 degrees in error when I set it up a right angles in both senses with an engineer's square. It'll be great for getting strip to the correct angle on built-up fuselages and tails etc.

Geoff

I had the same problem as Christopher, the nut disappeared when I removed the table to fit the sanding disc. as I have been an electrician for 45 years and have mended hundreds of tools I stripped it down, replaced the nut held it in with the bolt and glued it. the case is held by 4 Philip screws ( I feared they might of been security screws, as Bosch always fit one). saved taking it back. mike

Made a visit to Lidl to get a sander and came out with a sander,soldering station,square set and pillar drill that sorted out £100 ,by the way the nut dropping out is not a fault it just drops into a slot slip up with design but as has already been pointed out it can be glued in place then the sander on its back remove the four Phillips screws and carefully separate the two halves taking care to keep the circuit board in place lift motor out of cradle to get better access retrieve the nut and drop back in place check alignment then drop a couple of drops of medium ca wait till it's gone off then carefully reassemble . All done . May well do it it's going to call out sooner or later. One NOTE OF CAUTION do not plug in until complete,

Quite honestly,I have never had any problem getting the discs to stick on concentrically. I always remove the sanding table and get rid of the accumulated dust first, with the Wife's little mini hoover. Its amazing just how much sawdust gets around the sanding plate. I just then peel half of the backing away so that I can line up with one half of the spinning disk, the rest just lines itself up and no waiting time.

I guess for a smaller one perhaps overkill to use the wet method, we've a 500mm dia sander at work and it prevents having to remove the table to try and dry fit a disc whilst getting it aligned.

When I remove an old one I peel off a reasonable amount with the machine isolated then with an old plane blade scrape off the rest while the sander is running.

I am really pleased that I have returned to the thread. I bought a sander this morning, and yes, the nut has come loose, certainly no sign of it.

I will remove the four screws mentioned and find the pesky nut and hopefully be in a position to fix it in place permanently.

In the past, I decided to purchase a lipo electric drill/screwdriver from Lidl ithink, Parkside anyway. To-date it is the best buy of its type I have made. It outperforms a Black & Becker and Bosch that had failed me. A step change in performance, from the rest.

Keep the recommendations coming.

I bought the Bau Universal Thinners as well, another most useful buy.