Please help newbie

Tom H 1

Study these items here on the forum which will help decide about building. I advise building as the cheapest way, download a plan from Outerzone and study the methods used.

Look at the build of a typical trainer -RM Trainer - most balsa trainers are a bit similar

Repairing crashed models- this will give you an idea of how it's done and it also gives a glimpse of how a model is made.

Part 2 repairing

Edited By kc on 04/02/2018 17:31:20

Edited By kc on 04/02/2018 17:35:34

Advert

Posted by Tom H 1 on 04/02/2018 17:18:22:

If I gave up on building my own. Can you still get kits so you can build yourself and get enjoyment from that? Also as I have not brought anything before is there good variety of kits to buy out there?

I think you have to see this hobby in a different way.

First there is learning to fly. Then there is understanding all about what goes into a model (things like balancing, setting flying surface limits, understanding the radio system, understanding how the receiver and servos work, etc.), then there is the building process.

As a total beginner you need to set these as separate gaols. Its no use building wonderful scale models if you can't fly them, or because of your lack of understanding of what it takes for a model to fly, it crashes on first flight.

After taking advice, get something easy to build and repair, and preferably have a spare for the inevitable crashes and down time for repairs. Then learn to fly.

Once you are well on the road to flying and understanding what goes into a model, then you can start to build your own. You will have the rest of your life to do that! smiley

Tom you said " I want to fly the jet planes" This is like saying you want to be Lewis Hamilton's team mate in a Formula 1 team before you have even seen a car let alone learnt to drive!. Believe us that the top pilots flying turbines are as skilled at their hobby as Lewis Hamilton is at his driving. Same sort of reaction times too.  

You have to start at the bottom and work your way up -........

Edited By kc on 04/02/2018 17:59:38

I know you want to get going...but first go and see a couple of clubs. Get to know what a trainer plane looks like and how it is built. I know you want to get flying.... but ( I hope I’m correct, apologies if I’m wrong) but have you ever had a go before? Different styles, builds of planes all have different flying characteristics, something else you will need to learn.

Please don’t take this the wrong way...walk before you get the urge to run. It will help in the long run. Build up your knowledge and skill step by step and ENJOY the journey. There are hundreds of years of knowledge and experience in a club, make the most of it . It’s a hobby, it’s a laugh and sometimes it’s a complete pain in the posterior.

All the best in your new flying venture. Have fun and have a good time

Hi sorry so many questions were coming at me and forum posts so quick I was trying to deal with certain parts of questions I had at a time and then research those parts before replying back. I never replied back on the transmitter question because I work in IT etc so I am pretty ok with that sort of knowledge. It’s more the basics of how to fly, best places to get kit from etc.

Posted by Tom H 1 on 04/02/2018 20:51:58:

Hi sorry so many questions were coming at me and forum posts so quick I was trying to deal with certain parts of questions I had at a time and then research those parts before replying back. I never replied back on the transmitter question because I work in IT etc so I am pretty ok with that sort of knowledge. It’s more the basics of how to fly, best places to get kit from etc.

Those questions will be easily answered at a club and by the instructor. Clubs could use a buddy box system. This means the instructor has the master Tx and you have the slave. The makes of Tx will need to be the same, that’s why it’s important to get the correct transmitter that most of the club uses. I’m in two clubs one uses mostly Futaba and the other mostly Spektrum....

Posted by cymaz on 04/02/2018 20:58:15:

The makes of Tx will need to be the same, that’s why it’s important to get the correct transmitter that most of the club uses. I’m in two clubs one uses mostly Futaba and the other mostly Spektrum....

Not necessarily true these days Cymaz.

Posted by Andy48 on 04/02/2018 21:16:20:
Posted by cymaz on 04/02/2018 20:58:15:

The makes of Tx will need to be the same, that’s why it’s important to get the correct transmitter that most of the club uses. I’m in two clubs one uses mostly Futaba and the other mostly Spektrum....

Not necessarily true these days Cymaz.

Yes, but still very common in our patch. It’s still useful if you know the students Tx make. It makes programming problems easy to fix and explain.