Please help newbie

Tom H 1

Wow chaps. I've only just re-discovered this! I last saw it three posts in on page one when it was a fairly standard new flyer enquiry. How did we get to this state of affairs? I don't feel that, as a community, we.ve exactly covered ourselves in glory here!

I know, because I know you guys, that all this advice comes with the very best of intentions to help. I also know that many of you are very enthusiastic and want to progress right now - this instant! But sometimes beginners need time, looking at the posts of around 21:00 last night the OP must have felt like he was having a light shined in his eyes and being interrogated!! Failure to answer within a few minutes drew criticism! I know you were only trying to get information to help him in a structured way - and he (like lots of beginners!) wasn't being very structured and instead kept going off in another direction - but that's the way it is sometimes. All we can do is try to guide him and answer the questions he asks as best we can - even when we think they are not actually the most important questions just at the moment! In other words - follow his lead and "guide him from behind" as it were!

Bear in mind we all learn differently, Some are very methodical and systematic - others are like butterflies, flitting from one topic to another picking up bits of information here and there and putting them all together "off line" to build a coherent picture. The OP mentioned that he worked in IT - in my experience a lot of very good IT people follow this second path - garnering info from others, manuals, Youtube, websites etc to form a picture. It looks chaotic and random to those more structured in their thinking, but believe me it works very well for those people who's mind goes that way!

We have to allow newcommers to the hobby who ask us advice to "be themselves", we have to accommodate their way to some degree. We can't always insist that they follow our route in our sequence and its quite wrong I think to refuse to help because they won't "play the game" in just the way we want it played! A liittle more patience, understanding and tolerance is called for.

Please, let's not have a repeat of this - its not like us at all and it not what we do.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/02/2018 18:23:23

Advert

I really like your words of "guidance from behind", BEB.

Maybe Tom just wants to get into the 'building' phase first after all.

I realize it's quite difficult to understand for some forumites here that the flying part may be not the most important of the modelling 'step-in' procedure.

Anyhow, wise words you wrote down. yes

Cheers

Chris

You asked a specific question Tom, namely equipment needed? A discussion of 'which Radio Control equipment is best' would be enough to start WW3 on this forum and frequently does(!), as people can be pretty passionate about their favourite hobby. What I would say is that from recent polls, FrSky seem to be taking a large market share in the hobby, probably because it is so versatile with it's open source software which might particularly suit someone like yourself working in IT; the Taranis Q X7 comes to mind. The FrSky receivers and telemetry add-ons are cheap/good too, by all accounts.

From the poll, another very popular brand is Spectrum, with Radios to suit every pocket. As stated repeatedly in this thread, if you join a club your transmitter will need to be compatible with your instructor's, to enable them to be 'buddied together' with either a lead or wirelessly. If you decide to go it alone then do, I did and many on this forum will have too, but your progress will be slower and many crashes and rebuilds will no doubt follow, which interrupts continuity and is also disheartening. Joining a club may stop you making really dumb avoidable mistakes like I did and I am really smart crook (just joking lads!!). There are many good reliable brands of radio available but sticking to a main brand like Futaba, Hitec, Multiplex, Graupner, or JR (like myself) might be best. If you just want to 'dip your toe' in this RC hobby then buying one of the budget radios from Hobbyking or Bangood might be an option too although compatibility may be as issue and not to mention support, should it develop a fault. You may find that a budget radio does everything you need for a couple of years before upgrading to a more versatile/quality product. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Good luck Tom, whatever you decide.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 06/02/2018 08:35:29

Hi Tom, If you want to build your own, then I suggest a big powered glider (about 2 meters wingspan) with a small electric motor. I'd use three control channels, One for motor speed, one for rudder, and the third for elevator. This is just about the simplest that you can get. It will fly very slowly, and give you a bit of thinking time.

Just about any radio will be OK for this setup, but see all the earlier comments re make.

I reckon it's best to build it yourself, because its great fun, and you will have an understanding how it all goes together, and when you do break something (and you will) You'll be able to fix it

ernie

Hello All I am now back I decided to keep away for a few days haha

I do appreciate all the assistance off everyone just found it very overwhelming so quick. I would get a response and before I could read/digest & respond I would have another 5 replies. Then certain people got a little angry due to slow responses but I don't sit infront of a PC 24/7

I have looked and found two clubs near me South Cheshire & Mid Cheshire flying clubs which I will investigate further and find which is best for me.

I really appreciate all the direct messages off people giving me support and advice and agree now with the time involved RTF models will be best for me (Side question can motors etc be upgraded or replaced if damaged on RTF's?)

I noticed on some threads a lot of discussions can get heated due to one persons opinion can be different to another and people wont agree. Thanks for all the support so far.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 07/02/2018 02:35:35

No, the idea is you build it, have you the guts to launch it. Once it leaves the ground, it lands, or it crashes.

If you can't accept that, do a boat, or better a car. Welcome.

That's why a guru is good. He will be cynical enough to sort out most of the idiot bodges beginners get up to. Note, most, just so you don't relax.

Posted by Tom H 1 on 06/02/2018 17:59:31:

... agree now with the time involved RTF models will be best for me (Side question can motors etc be upgraded or replaced if damaged on RTF's?)

Well done Tom!

Re your 'side question', the short answer is that anything is possible. An established trainer will have a standard spec, which should be spot on for its basic purpose, and - depending on the exact model - a variety of replacement parts (wings, fuselage, tailplane, undercarriage, motor, etc) will be available. A skilled modeller could easily upgrade the motor and (if electric) the power and capacity of the battery, but even a relative beginner should be able to repair damaged balsa or foam parts and replace a damaged motor.

Take a simple example of say the Wot Trainer ARTF for either IC or electric power (designed by Chris Foss, distributed by Ripmax, available through plenty of retailers). Never owned one, and don't know what they're like to fly, but Foss is a top designer and this is a very well regarded model for a 40 sized engine or electric equivalent, big enough to see and with adequate weight to penetrate into wind in usual UK conditions. If you look at the description at **LINK** you'll quickly be able to follow the spec to start researching motors, batteries, RC etc.

I'm not saying this is the model for you (heaven forefend! I might get beaten, shot and dissolved in a bath of acid before this thread reaches the next page!) and wait and see what the club(s) you visit suggest for a model and power-source, but this should give you an initial idea of the sort of thing you might be buying.

Cheers

Jon