New- 2018 CONCORDE for 4x50mm EDF

So this one self indulgent and something i have always wanted to design and build.....help along by the recent telly programmes..

Almost ready to test fly. 30" wing span, 72" Long, AUW 4.5lbs (I hope) 4x50mm EDF units, 2x3200mah 4S lipo, retracts and articulating nose (well it has to)

More info to follow.....if successful a plan will be avaialble

capture.jpg

img_5485.jpg

Oh yes! I love the move-able nose on the CAD model too!

The grain of the wing sheeting is interesting, I guess that because the wing is much longer in chord than in span that the moment across the span is fairly manageable and spread across several spars as the CAD model shows? Not a hugely dissimilar internal design to the full size.

I do hope it is successful and a plan could become available because I am very interested in this.

Jacob

Yes you are right about liberties Simon.....I would have loved to make them scale but it would have meant 30mm fans and that simply wasn't going to work....I'm planning on using 4x 10-bladed Dr Mad 50mm edf units....should give loads of power.....

Your note about the wing sheeting Jacob is correct....the tapering leading edge suited the sheeting running in that direction....underneath, it run cross way as you would expect so the wings are strong in +G....

Hi Tony

We must have been watching the same programmes, I thought it fascinating that the engine intakes were the key to the Super Cruise above the speed of sound without burners on relied upon the intakes slowing the air to the engines to 350mph, above that they wouldn't run. Hope it flies OK I will build one a true classic, even if I hav'nt got the bottle to fly it

Regards Ray

I am so glad to hear that you are doing this Concorde Tony. This aircraft in particular has a strong family connection as I mentioned before, my grandad helped to build this great plane(among others) and has always been a family favourite of ours. If anyone can do Concorde justice in model aircraft form it's you Tony. I look forward to seeing your progress on this fine feat of Anglo French engineering excellence. Kindest Regards Steve

Edited By Steve Adams on 20/03/2018 21:17:59

• 3 months later...

Well been a bit quite on this one as i was waiting for flying strip the dry out and grass to be cut....and then forgot all about the model!!!

So had a couple of attempts but suffer grass cutting inhalation which stalled the fans and the undercarriage being too short, she couldn't rotate enough. Made a few other mods and a week later.....success!!!!

She needed a good head wind and full up elevator to rotate but once she was sitting on the back wheel she took off beautifully....a little dutch roll as you might expect but apart from that, an absolute diamond to fly......this was one model i really didn't think was going to work but yet again I was wrong.....

I ended up using the 4S Hobbyking 50mm 12 bladed ali unit all connected to a 4S 4500mah single pack. It needed all the power to take off mainly because the small 1-3/4" wheel and the long grass (yes grass had not been cut at the flying field) really caused quite a resistance....it needed almost full throttle to move her, but once away i was really surprised at how she tore down the runway even though i could hardly push the model along the ground!!!..... once away she would cruise around on 1/2 throttle. got around 3.5min fly time but had 30% in the pack so a little more testing i think.

Now working on the articulating nose and added a double boggy main U/C......definitely a plan in the offering soon.

pic.8.jpg

pic.9.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It only seemed right to enlarge the 50mm EDF version of Concorde to larger size and use the superb FMS 70mm EDF units.....picked up 4 of these from Banggood for £35 when they were on offer....delivers 2.25kg of thrust on 6S so 4 of these we should get upwards of 9kg of thrust.....The span is 49" and the length is 8'

All now laser cut and ready for me to build....not promising a quick start on this one but l'll keep you posted if any progress is made

capture.jpg