Chorus Gull

Advert

• 2 months later...

My Chorus Gull is finally finished so here are a few photo's taken along the way. I based this on the David Beale Mew Gull replica, and also scaled the plan up 20% to give the model a wingspan of 6ft. Scaling up meant I had to make my own canopy, so I will add another post with a video showing production of the canopy...chorus gull wing.jpgchorus gull wings.jpgp1040167.jpgfus-1.jpgp1040175.jpgfus-3.jpgfus-4.jpgcowl-1.jpgcowl-2.jpgengine.jpgmew gull-1.jpgmew gull-2.jpgcg-a.jpgcg-g.jpgcg-j.jpg

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 09/02/2020 19:24:30:

Why do you not get creases from the plug to the corners of the vac former? My last few attempts have been useless because of this problem.

Well, probably more luck than design as I am no expert at vacuum forming, this being my first attempt. What you see in the video is actually my second attempt as I did not heat the PETG enough first time and ended up with a perfectly formed 3/4 depth canopy. I watched as many YouTube video's as I could find of people making all sorts of vacuum formed components and noticed the problem of creases forming at the corners. To try and counter this I made the plug about 1/2" deeper than it needed to be and then later also spaced the plug up from the vacuum form box by another 1/4" because I felt the 1/2" already added might not be enough. After the second successful attempt I did in fact have a couple of small creases but these were lost when the surplus depth was removed.

If I do this again I would just make the plug a good 3/4" deeper than needed. Other than that I guess it's down to heating the PETG to a high enough temperature and having good suction. Hope this helps.

I have probably watched the same videos as you and quite a few people had the same creasing problem. Have tried the usual oven heating, a heat gun and a combination of the two. I even modified my frame to have rounded corners, same result. Tried propping up the plug too; the vacuum and seal are strong.

I got through most of an 8x4ft sheet of PETG making the five needed for my Lancaster. I had more success the first time I tried vac forming, it must have been beginner`s luck also.

Thanks for the info.

Posted by Steve Jones 2 on 10/02/2020 12:18:39:

Looks great ,

What thickness of material do you use and what temp for the oven and how long would you say..

I know its trial and error for the part you are trying to form but some pointers would be useful please

Steve

Hi Steve, I used 1mm PETG bought from Trent Plastics, oven temperature was set to 230 degrees C and pre-heated for about 5 minutes. PETG was in the oven for about 3 minutes and I had to turn it half way as it was sagging quite a lot more on one side. I waited until the PETG was sagging by about 3" before attempting the 'pull'.

Exactly as I have been doing David, only the gods were not smiling on me. What size is your frame, A3? I shall have a look at Trent Plastics.

Lucky with my 1/4 scale Gull. I picked up a perfectly sized canopy from a box of bits at a show.

I still have the female moulds for the grp u/c pants but mine are the long version which I prefer.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 10/02/2020 15:10:38:

Exactly as I have been doing David, only the gods were not smiling on me. What size is your frame, A3? I shall have a look at Trent Plastics.

Lucky with my 1/4 scale Gull. I picked up a perfectly sized canopy from a box of bits at a show.

I still have the female moulds for the grp u/c pants but mine are the long version which I prefer.

Martin, the frame is 460mm X 260mm

• 8 months later...

That looks really good, David. One of my favourite aircraft. I'm pleased to see that you also chose to represent a different Mew Gull than the usual G-AEXF of Alex Henshaw even though it's a copy - so a model of a 1:1 scale model

Here's mine I built 3 years ago. It flies really well on 6S but landing is a nightmare because it has a tendency to nose over. I've angled the u/c forward which helps but now the spats don't fit. I may use your spats as inspiration. Not a Chorus Gull but but from a part kit (Complete-a- Pak? - can't remember).

gull airfield 4 dec 2017.jpg

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 19/10/2020 17:07:44