Advert

Is this the aircraft you're talking about, or is there a larger version? This one only calls for 3S LiPo in the range 1800 to 2200mAh. 4S (higher voltage) may damage the electronics, and the weight of a 4000mAh capacity battery will probably mess up the c of g.

High-voltage LiPos can be charged up to a slightly higher voltage than the normal 4.20v, so can store a bit more energy than 'normal' ones. But they can also be charged on a 'normal' LiPo balance charger to only 4.20v, and all that means is that you're foregoing the potential extra energy, but they will have a longer life.

As others have suggested, you should normally be looking for something in excess of 20C for a conventional plane or heli. Personally I've become a fan of the standard Turnigy blue LiPos.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 26/06/2018 20:08:56:

Is this the aircraft you're talking about, or is there a larger version? This one only calls for 3S LiPo in the range 1800 to 2200mAh. 4S (higher voltage) may damage the electronics, and the weight of a 4000mAh capacity battery will probably mess up the c of g.

High-voltage LiPos can be charged up to a slightly higher voltage than the normal 4.20v, so can store a bit more energy than 'normal' ones. But they can also be charged on a 'normal' LiPo balance charger to only 4.20v, and all that means is that you're foregoing the potential extra energy, but they will have a longer life.

As others have suggested, you should normally be looking for something in excess of 20C for a conventional plane or heli. Personally I've become a fan of the standard Turnigy blue LiPos.

No it's the H.K one Alan.

Thanks all, still pondering.

Don’t forget that 95% of C ratings are made up - manufacturers are in a war to get your attention, and with few consumers having the kit or knowledge to calculate the real values they can print what they want. A fair rule of thumb is to halve the C rating printed on the side and consider that the maximum constant C rating - if that can meet the needs of your powertrain at WOT you are good.

Everything MattyB said. There is no consistent meaning to the C rating, what happens at its C max rating? Slight voltage dip? Large voltage dip? Fire? Halve the rating and go with that number.

Turnigy Blue seem to offer excellent value. I've had good results from Zippy Compact and Rhino packs too.

I have a couple of Overlander Lipos. They don't appear to offer anything the HK lipos don't, except a bigger dint in your wallet.

The Slick 360 page on Hobbyking suggests a 4S 2200 - 2650mAh.

I would suggest

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-2700mah-4s-35c-lipo-pack.html

Posted by MattyB on 28/06/2018 15:02:50:

Don’t forget that 95% of C ratings are made up - manufacturers are in a war to get your attention, and with few consumers having the kit or knowledge to calculate the real values they can print what they want. A fair rule of thumb is to halve the C rating printed on the side and consider that the maximum constant C rating - if that can meet the needs of your powertrain at WOT you are good.

I think halving C ratings is stretching it a touch. I use Fluoron 4S 4AH LiPos and I received a pair yesterday morning. I checked them both on my Wayne Giles esr meter and both were rated at a C of 20 rather than the quoted 25. That's fine with me as I'm nowhere near needing to draw 80 amps. Incidentally the esr for each cell is less than 4milli ohms and they seem to get better with age as evidenced by my older examples.

Geoff

• 8 months later...