Stabilisation

Hello,

Returned recently: had a season of indoor/park flying and lately back onto a proper flying site/

I've a Multiplex trainer which is fine; simple five channel with differential ailerons.

Tx is Spektrum DX8 DSMX. Current rx is standard 6 channel spektrum

Many of the park fliers have had stabilisation: both helis and fixed wing. I'm impressed.

However, I'm really returning for scale interest, not interested in hot dogging or whatever, and certainly only interested in e-flight, so no huge scale gas or glow; I go fly the full size.

Having acquired a Durafly Stuka (I missed out on the larger FMS when some bod bought up the whole distributor stock one weekend), I'd like to try out a stabilisation system in it before progressing to a more sophisticated machine eg one of the FW190A's a little larger than this.

So eventually would prefer the usual three channels for throttle, rudder and elevator, with two channels for differential ailerons, one (Y lead) channel for flaps, and one channel for retracts. That's six actuating channels.

Having a Spektrum I naturally migrated to their AS3X. I now know that Orange and Yellow do compatible rx's with stabilisation.

Spektrum do a 6 channel, but don't remind you that one channel is to switch the stabilisation mode (well they do, but you have to dig). So that reduces it down to 5 active a/c controls. It's relatively affordable. Orange I haven't investigated too much, and Yellow do something restrictive in limiting channels when doing differential ailerons .... or something equally silly.

So it looks as though I'll need at least 7 channels (including the stab mode channel)

Spektrum do a 7 channel and indeed a 9 channel. They are approx. twice the price of the already uncheap 6 channel.

Should I contemplate Yellow or Orange or any other hue for that matter? Or should I even consider an add on stabilisation module over a standard rxer?

I should probably make a journey to one of the larger model shops Slough say, but not sure that I'd learn much more.

Oh, the current set up on the Stuka has throttle, rudder, elevator, and one channel each for (Y lead) ailerons, (Y lead) flaps, and (Y lead) Nav and landing lights. I could ditch the nav lights reducing the need to 5 channels, and free that 6th channel up for stab control, but that closes me off for expansion in a later model.

Any advice, recommendations I'd be most grateful

Robin

Gloucestershire

Advert

Personally, I tend to go for the separate stabiliser and standard Rx, no really major reason for this. I use FrSky and they have a stabilisation Rx (and very reasonably priced too), but I feel the separate module gives me more flexibility - it is also of course interchangable between models with swaping Rx's and re-binding etc. Just a thought.

Agreed BEB, the separate stabiliser can be connected to

Your favourite, bullet proof, trusted receiver, so is integrated with your trusted set up

Orange do a nice add on stabiliser for this, as well as other makers

My 1st successful attempt some time ago was using just one heading hold gyro on ailerons, very cheap to do

I would point out that the Lemon DSMX stabiliser Rx is 7 channel. Aux2 on the bind plug so you can have the normal 6 channels as well.

At $21.20 I think they are cheap enough to use permanently dedicated to individual planes.

I my experience transferring anything, particularly a gyro, requires significant testing to ensure the set up is correct and any disturbed connectors are sound.

Well, that you all, that hugely helpful, provides food for thought and confidence in these suggestions.

I quite like the idea of the add on and even the Yellow/Orange comes with recommendations so despite their cheapness I've more confidence.

Not sure yet and some digging, but I do like differential ailerons, and need to understand how some achieve that, either in the TX, RX, or add-on module.

Brilliant helpfulness.

Robin

You can do differential aileron and flaperon / spoileron with the Lemon Stab+, but you must not select 'auto level' with these features enabled, apparently.

I've got a couple of these receivers and (for me) they work well enough as rate gyro's but (again, for me) not so well in auto level, so I just don't use auto level.

Kim

Thanks Kim, that's what I thought

Posted by Kim Taylor on 18/08/2018 12:40:28:

You can do differential aileron and flaperon / spoileron with the Lemon Stab+, but you must not select 'auto level' with these features enabled, apparently.

I've got a couple of these receivers and (for me) they work well enough as rate gyro's but (again, for me) not so well in auto level, so I just don't use auto level.

Kim

This confused me Mike until I realised that they only work with FRSKY tx's.

See the opening post

Posted by Mike Blandford on 18/08/2018 14:38:08:

For FrSky, the S6R and S8R stabilising receivers are only a couple of pounds more than the X6R and X8R. You may configure them with the stabilising function turned off, so I reckon you might as well always get them.

They may be configured from the Tx (assuming you are using ersky9x or openTx).

Mike

The modes are comprehensive, probably more than anyone really needs, but attitude hold/wing levelling appeals for nice locked approach/finals

Posted by Denis Watkins on 18/08/2018 15:54:09:

Posted by Robin Mosedale 1 on 18/08/2018 13:16:01:

Anyone come across these:-

HOBBYEAGLE A3 Super 3 6-Axis Gyro & Flight Controller Stabilizer Half Set Program Card for RC Airplane Drone UAV

**LINK**

What are you looking for in the above Robin?

For fixed wing, there are cheaper and simpler options

I would second an eagletree guardian. Separate unit, very customizable, much more effective that the Lemon stabiliser+, and it will allow dual aileron and aileron differential.

Free shipping to the uk from hobbyking EU warehouse at the moment:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/eagletree-guardian-2d-3d-inertial-flight-stabilizer.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOIm2gPOTpVMMaeXz3Gy0f9Jb69NdxVEn0Kzd6rrgHkTVbg37qbiThRoCWUYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/08/2018 19:25:21

Posted by Robin Mosedale 1 on 18/08/2018 18:21:12:

This confused me Mike until I realised that they only work with FRSKY tx's.

See the opening post

Posted by Mike Blandford on 18/08/2018 14:38:08:

For FrSky, the S6R and S8R stabilising receivers are only a couple of pounds more than the X6R and X8R. You may configure them with the stabilising function turned off, so I reckon you might as well always get them.

They may be configured from the Tx (assuming you are using ersky9x or openTx).

Mike

It was aimed more at BEB!

Mike

Jason,

Well, this looks like it's this one.

The things that tipped me were:-

1. It states clearly what it is capable of

2. It clearly shows the connection set up

3. The documentation is easily found, comprehensive, clear and unambiguous.

4. It does stabilization, attitude lock and much more

I'm going to give this a trial and may become the standard if successful

Fabulous responses all.

Many thanks

Robin

Posted by Jason Inskip on 18/08/2018 19:24:41:

I would second an eagletree guardian. Separate unit, very customizable, much more effective that the Lemon stabiliser+, and it will allow dual aileron and aileron differential.

Free shipping to the uk from hobbyking EU warehouse at the moment:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/eagletree-guardian-2d-3d-inertial-flight-stabilizer.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOIm2gPOTpVMMaeXz3Gy0f9Jb69NdxVEn0Kzd6rrgHkTVbg37qbiThRoCWUYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/08/2018 19:25:21

Hi Robin,

The guardian is a great little unit. The 3D Heading Hold mode is fantastic - makes me look like a much better pilot that I actually am!

The 2D modes will allow a novice to fly any plane in some truly awful winds (I'm just teaching a 78 year old novice to fly using one of these).

Anyway, be sure to check out the new user guide in addition to the manufactures instructions:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1964435-Guardian-New-User-s-Guide

To get the best out of it, you will have to plug it into your pc and configure using the eagletree gui.

Drop me a line if you get stuck setting it up.

PS - I now have 5 of these units, fitted in sports planes to warmliners to full house sailplanes. Works great in all.

Edited By Jason Inskip on 20/08/2018 14:17:43

Edited By Jason Inskip on 20/08/2018 14:21:07