Which Radio Gear?

Roger Dyke

Advert

Going back to the original question. My advice would be to go along to the local club and see what is being used there and talk to them about radios. If you need help at some stage it would be best if the radio you choose is being used at the club you decide to join.

To be honest all the major makes will do the job.

All the new members at my club use Spektrum and there has not been any problems.

JM

Hi Jeff,

To answer your questions:-

1) The reason to go 2.4 GHz is basically to ‘modernise’. I know that I can still use my 35MHZ kit which I probably will initially.

2) I fly fixed wing only and nothing complicated. I still have a 67” wingspan aerobatic ‘Dalotel’ with a 60 engine fitted, a 58” wingspan sport/trainer ‘Sky Rider’ with a 40 engine fitted, and a 1973 Mercury ‘Galahad’ with a 15 engine fitted. All are a bit battle weary. The ‘Galahad’ for which I have a special affection was the first model I made when rejoining the hobby in 1973 after all these years from a lad. It was also the model that I learnt to fly with. I am just finishing it’s refurbishment ready for me to get back in the air once again. It is only 3 channel but will be good to ease me back in.

3) My budget certainly would not be to go headlong into the top gear. At the same time not right at the bottom either. I was thinking about sub £200 for Tx and Rx.

Roger

Edited By Roger Dyke on 21/08/2018 12:35:26

Hi JM,

I've have been in touch with my local club and have been advised to attend the club field on certain afternoons as most times there may be no-one there. Also I have had a kind invitation from a committee member to meet with him and for him to show me around and have a chat. This I am going to take up.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Spektrum.

Roger

Hi Roger

Thanks for the info, gives us a place to start.

Looking at your fleet (Galahad brings back happy memories) looks like you will need nothing more than what the companies call 'Entry' level.
Anything higher gives you too many software options which you will never use. There are some entry level 4 channel ones still around, but I would suggest you start with 6 channel.
This could come in handy if, for instance, you want to equip the Dalotel with separate servos to use aileron differential and/ or flaps.
So, looking around t'internet produced ideas from all three major players.

http://inwoodmodels.com/epages/9f291c61-8fb5-420d-b8d5-43eb2920dd9f.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/9f291c61-8fb5-420d-b8d5-43eb2920dd9f/Products/RAD16K2

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/294041/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi9Tvvpv-3AIVb77tCh1FrgCyEAQYAiABEgLgN_D_BwE

https://www.wirelessmadness.com/spektrum-dx6e-6-channel-dsmx-transmitter-only-spmr6650eu?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImtyD4Jv-3AIVB5ztCh2p5gitEAQYBCABEgIjJ_D_BwE

Note, all of these are within your budget. Looking at the specs seems even the entry level now has extensive programming options. Guess you can't get away from them.

Have to say I have no axe to grind. I have not used any of these, but I am sure members here have.

Other than that, couple of other thoughts.

Good that you have a local club on call. Certainly talk to the members, see what they are using, although I guess you will get as many different recommendations as there are makes.
However it might also be worth checking if anyone has any second hand equipment they might want to sell. I have bought second hand many times, and never been disappointed.
Normally I wouldn't suggest you do as well, but if you buy from another club member at least you will know something of it's history.

That's my thoughts so far, keep us in the loop.

Jeff

Hi supertigre fan

Very good point, and well made. However, IIRC roger has a Futaba Challenger, which is getting a bit long in the tooth by any standards.

What I would question, however, is why you suggest going 2.4 if you want to fly electric. I have a whole fleet of helicopters, all electric, and at least half are on 35 Mhz.

Add to that 4 electric fixed wing including my latest Limbo Dancer, also on 35 and zero issues with any of them.

Can't see that as a reason to go 2.4

Jeff

Posted by Roger Dyke on 21/08/2018 12:41:57:

Hi JM,

I've have been in touch with my local club and have been advised to attend the club field on certain afternoons as most times there may be no-one there. Also I have had a kind invitation from a committee member to meet with him and for him to show me around and have a chat. This I am going to take up.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Spektrum.

Roger

Good man....sounds like a club that is friendly and welcoming. I will stay out of the Tx war of words....you have my thoughts laugh

Hi Supertigrefan,

You make a good case for staying with the 35MHz. My Futaba Challenger is probably 24 years old. In saying that, it seems to work fine apart from failing batteries (which I would expect). The reason I was thinking about 2.4GHz comes from once upon a time me being on 27Mhz before it was hijacked for CB Radio and my thinking was that at some point soon maybe 35MHz will also be pulled. I am not desperate to change but if I am to start spending money on my old 35MHz kit I may as well be putting it towards a 2.4 kit. I don’t know whether to take a punt on some new batteries just to see how it initially pans out. My local club uses both 35MHz and 2.4GHz. I might even go all electric sometime in the near future but that’s running before walking. I’ll have to see.

Roger

Hi Jeff,

The 'Galahad' is amazing. It almost flies on it's own with it's outrageous dihedral. When I first learnt to fly with it, it used to take me a week to repair it again ready for another lesson the following week. I have just removed all the covering to give it a full inspection and repair in readiness for it's new covering.

Thanks for all the useful information. I will follow that up.

Roger

Hi Roger, same with mine.

What scares me is how long ago it was, and how much water under the bridge since.

I'm 66 now, and it must have been at least 35 years ago, round about the time you got yours. Only difference was mine was free flight, so launch and start running. Happy days.

I'm sure your head must be spinning by now, with all the radio options, but here's another one.

If your Challenger is still working ok, and you're happy with it, how about sticking in a FrSky diy module for 2.4.

£18 invested and you're in business.

More than one way to skin a cat (just don't tell the RSPCA)

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I am absolutely blown away by all the very kind postings and having a job keeping up with my replies.

I'm 73 myself now so not looking to set the world on fire.

I've been trying to find out if there is a 2.4GHz conversion for the Futaba Challenger but can't find one. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place. Any idea where I should look?

Roger

I use most of the main brands, and not so main brand. Hitec, Spektrum, Futaba and Tactic.

The two radio I would probably recommend for a beginner would the Spektrum DX6 or the Futaba T6K, both under £200, but note they are "dry", meaning purchase of a battery pack and charger.

Maybe the Hitec Flash 7, bit more, but another option...